Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

West Ham - Post Match Thread 2 - 3

4 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

No pace? For a big man I think he is quite fast, poor finisher with his feet is false, go see last season goals, he has a handful of goals with his feet, poor control is a bit harsh, he hasn't the best control but he can control the ball and run with it. He won't jump to win headers in the park, that one is true, and injury prone at least this season he has been but he wasn't in Sporting. But from what he has shown you are correct, just don't judge with the minor game time he had, wait for him to be a regular starter or go elsewhere and start to show himself because this isn't the Slimani that was 3 season at Sporting.

I can only judge him on his time here and I have to say at this point I am not overly impressed.

4 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I can only judge him on his time here and I have to say at this point I am not overly impressed.

I think Slimani is no slouch. He wasn't far behind Mahrez and Vardy when the latter had a golden opportunity to seal it at the end against Sevilla. Indeed, Slimani was a couple of yards behind Mahrez in our half to start off with and had to turn sharply before trying to catch them up. Easily quicker than Ulloa.

12 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I am making a prediction. Yes it's possible he will learn from today's mistake but I don't think he will. If I'm wrong I'm sure you'll ram it down my throat, but if I'm right will you bring this thread back up and say I was clever enough to see what was coming?

If you consider he was that influential on Pearson's tactics, how is it a huge stretch to suggest a Pearson-esque managerial display will be repeated in future? I'd say it's something to think about. Today was very reminiscant of that sort of thing.

I know people can't take any negative comments when we're doing well, but for me, this is an audition for the full time job and we need to concentrate on positives and negatives. There's clearly been positives in our 4 performances, but we can't afford to ignore mistakes.

As much as I respected Nigel, I wouldn't want him back under any circumstances. So if Shakespeare is Pearson reincarnated, I would prefer a different long term appointment.

We'll see, but we're not talking about little things here, we're talking about huge tactical mistakes that render a potentially very good team useless. There's not really any excuse for a) leaving Mahrez and Okazaki on for so long when they couldn't hold the ball and look knackered b) bringing Musa on c) leaving Gray on the bench and d) trying to get as deep as possible instead of pressing and attacking.

These are pretty significant things. Considering how long Shakey has been at the club, if he is still making decisions like that I'd say it's quite worrying. It's not like he's just turned up, he should know these things by now.

We criticised Ranieri for those things, why not Shakey? The main difference so far is that the players are playing for him.

Virtually ever player looked awful (Fuchs, Huth, Morgan, Drinky, Albrighton, Vardy, Mahrez to name a few) when Ranieri was in charge. Now that he has gone, they look class. The same issue has no doubt affected Slimani. Unlike the others, he hasn't had a chance to play from the start. Perhaps when he does, we may see a different side to him as well.

6 minutes ago, 49er said:

When we paid £5m for Akinbiyi, the record fee paid by an English club was £15m by Newcastle for Shearer, so that's one third of the latter. The current record fee is £89m paid by Man U for Pogba. One third of this is more or less £30m. The amount we paid for Akinbiyi, when taking into account price inflation, is effectively the same as Slimani. I still think that Slimani is a better player, and we signed him from a top European team and not a player from the second tier.

What was the World record fee when we signed Akinbiyi Seeing as you are so keen on arguing this point of value vs other players?

2 minutes ago, Freesolo said:

What was the World record fee when we signed Akinbiyi Seeing as you are so keen on arguing this point of value vs other players?

Figo went from Barca to Real Madrid for £37m

Just now, Beachyboy said:
12 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I am making a prediction. Yes it's possible he will learn from today's mistake but I don't think he will. If I'm wrong I'm sure you'll ram it down my throat, but if I'm right will you bring this thread back up and say I was clever enough to see what was coming?

If you consider he was that influential on Pearson's tactics, how is it a huge stretch to suggest a Pearson-esque managerial display will be repeated in future? I'd say it's something to think about. Today was very reminiscant of that sort of thing.

I know people can't take any negative comments when we're doing well, but for me, this is an audition for the full time job and we need to concentrate on positives and negatives. There's clearly been positives in our 4 performances, but we can't afford to ignore mistakes.

As much as I respected Nigel, I wouldn't want him back under any circumstances. So if Shakespeare is Pearson reincarnated, I would prefer a different long term appointment.

We'll see, but we're not talking about little things here, we're talking about huge tactical mistakes that render a potentially very good team useless. There's not really any excuse for a) leaving Mahrez and Okazaki on for so long when they couldn't hold the ball and look knackered b) bringing Musa on c) leaving Gray on the bench and d) trying to get as deep as possible instead of pressing and attacking.

These are pretty significant things. Considering how long Shakey has been at the club, if he is still making decisions like that I'd say it's quite worrying. It's not like he's just turned up, he should know these things by now.

We criticised Ranieri for those things, why not Shakey? The main difference so far is that the players are playing for him.

Surely coming out on the front foot, having possession and getting 2 goals up is far different to Ranieri this season. In Bournemouth, Swansea, Boro, Sunderland, hull to name but 5 away performances it looked like we were playing for a draw. I have only seen 3 mins of highlights but when Leicester are on the front foot an giving the opposition a threat they tend to score the first goal more gain momentum and play positvely, surely if mistakes are going to be made better to make them while 2 goals up in the 2nd half than, make the mistakes an go 2 goals down an have to chase the game like was the case at Swansea.

13 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Isn't that just ignorance though? I agree that he's not done enough to warrant him being our record signing by a distance, but in terms of what he actually brings I still like him. Charged around like a madman today and his touch to set him in on the 1 on 1 was quality. 

He's a weird one, we've looked a better team when Shinji's started recently but I still think Slimani has a chance here. If we can recoup what we paid for him in the Summer i'd probably take it but he's not worth the stick he's been getting on here.

9 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

He might want to be here, but not on these terms. He isn't a player to have on the bench. That is why he is mentally knackered. He is playing 20 minutes a game probably less and that isn't good if you want your most expensive signing to gain confidence and start to look like it is worth it.

We've got a squad full of people who'd all like to be in the team and Slimani's getting more chance to justify his inclusion than everyone else outside our regulars. 

It's the £30m we paid for him that's probably giving him that privilege but it I don't give a damn what he cost.

What I do care about is what he does. And right now it's not a lot and hasn't been since he went away to AFCON and since he (presumably) heard the Chinese whispers. You talk about what Slimani wants rather than what our club wants and you talk about his 20-minute matches when I've thought he's looked off the pace even in that short time.

Bottom line is not what you or I want but what any manager will want if he intends to keep his job. Generally he wants players who are fully fit, fully committed, focused and effective.

Specifically, when it comes to strikers he wants all those general things I mentioned plus the scoring and making of goals.

Slimani had one golden chance today and missed it. He had an even easier chance at Swansea and missed it. Some players might tick all the general boxes and get a bit of licence. But I don't see Slimani as ticking those boxes.

Alternatively he could leave a couple of the general boxes empty and just score or make goals. It'd be quite enough for most managers and fans alike. But he's not doing that either. Frankly, as a manager, I'd want a lot more than he's delivering and playing indifferently for 20 minutes per game is hardly an advert for involving him for longer periods, never mind a full game. .      

4 minutes ago, Freesolo said:

So we can agree that the premise that Adi being worth 1/10 of that and Islam being worth 1/3 of todays price is not a solid argument?

I think you mean 1/7th in terms of Adi?

Would you have expected Adi to score in the equivalent of the Champions League? His level was today's Championship.

Great win  but a nervous last 30 mins.

I understand people wanting Slimani to be so great that they will go against what their eyes are seeing but he is not very good. He is not and at his age never will be a £30 million pound player. The technique he has is sub premier league standard.

I hope we can offload him and Musa in the summer because neither is going to get much of a look in next season. If we can get anywhere near our money back for them it will be a bonus.

Am I reading right tonight?

We have gone from absolutely fookin abysmal, to winning our last four games, including beating Sevilla?

And some are criticizing the manager's tactics?

What did people expect, that West Ham would roll over and die?

And people write that I'M critical!

lol

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Great win  but a nervous last 30 mins.

I understand people wanting Slimani to be so great that they will go against what their eyes are seeing but he is not very good. He is not and at his age never will be a £30 million pound player. The technique he has is sub premier league standard.

I hope we can offload him and Musa in the summer because neither is going to get much of a look in next season. If we can get anywhere near our money back for them it will be a bonus.

What he said.

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Isn't that just ignorance though? I agree that he's not done enough to warrant him being our record signing by a distance, but in terms of what he actually brings I still like him. Charged around like a madman today and his touch to set him in on the 1 on 1 was quality. 

He's a weird one, we've looked a better team when Shinji's started recently but I still think Slimani has a chance here. If we can recoup what we paid for him in the Summer i'd probably take it but he's not worth the stick he's been getting on here.

Whether Slimani gets stick or salutation is entirely down to himself. Indeed I can think of very few players who've not had at least as much criticism as Slimani this season and the only way any of them have turned that around is through their performances on the pitch. It's a privilege to play for our team. Everyone's expected to chip in with their best effort at the very least. It's ages since I've seen anything approaching the best of Slimani.       

Archived