Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

West Ham - Post Match Thread 2 - 3

3 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Why was Mahrez left on so long when he continually gave the ball away, failed to make a simple passes to teammates, and persisted in dribbling resulting in them beginning wave after wave of attacks? 

58cd72d10969f_giphy(2).gif.a90119477adb37499501da0698de8f87.gif

Again with the mahrez "criticism"

1 minute ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I have.

And I have not seen a worse player in terms of value for money in 45 years.

Is yours a throw away comment or do you not think he's awful? 

Akinbiyi - £5m

Benjamin - £1.5m

Matt Jones - £3m

Wise - £1.6m

Matt Mills - £5m

16 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

He had the ball? Yes he did, in the chance. Not much more than that, a poor signing with 5 goals and 3 assists in 12 games played...

He's a poor signing for £30m - see below.

No pace

A poor finisher - with his feet

Poor control

Wont jump to win headers against defenders

injury and fitness issues

Massively happy for Benny, most of us on here have suspected that he could cut the mustard in the Prem, and today he proved it!! Great to see him gut out the final minutes. Musa on the other hand, what can you say....... Deer in the headlights.

Mahrez trapped some long balls like a genius, he scored, he was a massive part of our dominance first half.

He just ran out of gas second half.

We'll miss him when he goes this Summer.

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not really surprising that second half performance given the midweek heroics.... mentally as well as physically.

Exactly! That's the price we will pay for being involved in the UCL. I for one am happy to endure it!

Shakespeare's subs and tactics in the second half probably weren't the best, but I'm sure he will know that himself. He's put on Amartey recently when trying to hold a lead in the past and we probably should have done that today and much sooner. At the end of the day though 4 wins out of 4 as an interim manager is pretty good going.

Bigger picture here is that high intensity football takes it out of players. This is why Ranieri wanted us to play a less physically intensive approach. Personally I think high intensity can work throughout a season, but we need more rotation and players that can fill in effectively. We are in still in the mix for the relegation dogfight so understandable to pick basically the same team today. In the future we need to use players like Amartey, Grey, King, Chillwell, maybe even Kaputska to keep us fresh. We will have to have our first team play for both Sunderland and Atletico I think, but the game after that we should probably rest quite a few.

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can't be many coaches in world football who would have continued to play 4-4-1-1 when 2 goals ahead away from home against a side who had gone to 3 in central midfield. and with 2 fellas who had run themselves to a standstill four days earlier. Said it during the match thread and it's still true, despite the win - tactically naive. amartey or king for Okazaki after 55 mins was the call. 

I wouldn't always criticise such a policy but in the circumstances you describe so accurately - and the particular strengths of West Ham as an attacking force against weakening opposition - then we were crying out for exactly what you've suggested and I hope Shaky gives the point proper consideration in future.  

Because we were as close to squandering our lead as it could possibly get, and much more than once.  

14 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

It's the first away game under his charge following a gruelling Champion's League tie. If it becomes a 'common theme' as you suggest then that'll be pointed out at the end of the interim period. However this is the first foot he's set wrong in arguably the most confidence sapping runs of this season. It was always gonna be difficult and we came out on tops ultimately. 

It just seems funny to make these grand statements after he's started his tenure so well.

I am making a prediction. Yes it's possible he will learn from today's mistake but I don't think he will. If I'm wrong I'm sure you'll ram it down my throat, but if I'm right will you bring this thread back up and say I was clever enough to see what was coming?

If you consider he was that influential on Pearson's tactics, how is it a huge stretch to suggest a Pearson-esque managerial display will be repeated in future? I'd say it's something to think about. Today was very reminiscant of that sort of thing.

I know people can't take any negative comments when we're doing well, but for me, this is an audition for the full time job and we need to concentrate on positives and negatives. There's clearly been positives in our 4 performances, but we can't afford to ignore mistakes.

As much as I respected Nigel, I wouldn't want him back under any circumstances. So if Shakespeare is Pearson reincarnated, I would prefer a different long term appointment.

We'll see, but we're not talking about little things here, we're talking about huge tactical mistakes that render a potentially very good team useless. There's not really any excuse for a) leaving Mahrez and Okazaki on for so long when they couldn't hold the ball and look knackered b) bringing Musa on c) leaving Gray on the bench and d) trying to get as deep as possible instead of pressing and attacking.

These are pretty significant things. Considering how long Shakey has been at the club, if he is still making decisions like that I'd say it's quite worrying. It's not like he's just turned up, he should know these things by now.

We criticised Ranieri for those things, why not Shakey? The main difference so far is that the players are playing for him.

I know this is a football discussion forum but why do people feel the need to slag off people who are actually trying their best when wearing our kit. There are plenty of reasons for things not falling right. None of you know what is going on in musa's mind. None of you know what might be the issue with slim's fitness. Yet they are both fair game to be slaughtered when we win a friggin match away!!

by all means let's discuss tactics but why do we have to diss our own players, repeatedly!! ????

When you consider the amount of effort that went into Tuesday's game, that performance was excellent. If that was Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool after a Champions League tie, the reports, accolades and general opinion would've been a lot different. Excellent performance lads, great away win.

Just now, NotTheMarketLeader said:

He's a poor signing for £30m - see below.

No pace

A poor finisher - with his feet

Poor control

Wont jump to win headers against defenders

injury and fitness issues

No pace? For a big man I think he is quite fast, poor finisher with his feet is false, go see last season goals, he has a handful of goals with his feet, poor control is a bit harsh, he hasn't the best control but he can control the ball and run with it. He won't jump to win headers in the park, that one is true, and injury prone at least this season he has been but he wasn't in Sporting. But from what he has shown you are correct, just don't judge with the minor game time he had, wait for him to be a regular starter or go elsewhere and start to show himself because this isn't the Slimani that was 3 season at Sporting.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

Mahrez trapped some long balls like a genius, he scored, he was a massive part of our dominance first half.

He just ran out of gas second half.

We'll miss him when he goes this Summer.

Nah, not good enough. 

6 minutes ago, 49er said:

Akinbiyi - £5m

Benjamin - £1.5m

Matt Jones - £3m

Wise - £1.6m

Matt Mills - £5m

Yes none of these no were near 30 million i no prices have gone a hell of a lot up but 30 mill is prob more like 7 or 8 mil from that time so i would say on wot he has showed so far he is worse than all them for value still a long way to go through and hopefully he proves himself 

47 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Whatever the reasons for our contrasting second half after the positivity of the first, this was a massive three points after the physical and mental strain of the Sevilla game.

West Ham away is never easy and to score three goals was the key to victory with Kasper seeing that our weakening back door wasn't finally split completely open.

In the aftermath I hope Shaky looks at his tactical decisions because we became desperate for reinforcements in defensive midfield and as help for Simpson on the right.

Quite why we involved Musa given such pressing needs I've no idea but both he and Slimani sounded disappointing with the latter, once again, missing a simple chance to score a fourth goal and end all the tension.

In the end though, and surprisingly given our first half ruthlessness with the goals from Mahrez, Huth and Vardy, it was Schmeichel who surely deserved to be man of the match and to lead us to our first away Premiership win of the season.

What an example the man is to emerge from being effectively our matchwinner on Wednesday to do just the same again today.

The three points were so precious. But I'm still worried about the strength of our bench once the starting team starts to wilt.

I suppose Shaky could point to the Slimani chance as evidence that he and Musa could bring some relief to the defence and pinch another goal but it didn't happen and West Ham could easily have pointed to at least three opportunities whereby they could and probably should have saved the game.

No matter. We won the game, took three away points to make it nine from 9 for Shaky and four successive wins and 11 goals nicely spread between them.

We can certainly look to improving but there's no way I'll be complaining.

It's a marvellous achievement and especially with so many tired bodies and minds out there. .  .

PS: Big congratulations to Benny too. Time and again he was there with a brave or vital header. Qualified for his warrior status and the right to call himself one of the lads. So pleased for him. 

Excellent and well measured comment. A pleasure to read. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Exactly! That's the price we will pay for being involved in the UCL. I for one am happy to endure it!

Shakespeare's subs and tactics in the second half probably weren't the best, but I'm sure he will know that himself. He's put on Amartey recently when trying to hold a lead in the past and we probably should have done that today and much sooner. At the end of the day though 4 wins out of 4 as an interim manager is pretty good going.

Bigger picture here is that high intensity football takes it out of players. This is why Ranieri wanted us to play a less physically intensive approach. Personally I think high intensity can work throughout a season, but we need more rotation and players that can fill in effectively. We are in still in the mix for the relegation dogfight so understandable to pick basically the same team today. In the future we need to use players like Amartey, Grey, King, Chillwell, maybe even Kaputska to keep us fresh. We will have to have our first team play for both Sunderland and Atletico I think, but the game after that we should probably rest quite a few.

If we keep using the starting XI like that, they'll be burnt out against Atletico. Today was a warning.

Just now, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Mate - don't 'clown' me - theres no no need for misplaced condescension.

We are talking about Musa and how he has performed -  just for clarity.

I fully understand who you are talking about, thanks for the clarification, it's a forum and i will communicate however i wish. And, I'm not your mate, clown.

6 minutes ago, lcfcdamo said:

Yes none of these no were near 30 million i no prices have gone a hell of a lot up but 30 mill is prob more like 7 or 8 mil from that area so i would say on wot he has showed so far he is worse than all them for value still a long way to go through and hopefully he proves himself 

When we paid £5m for Akinbiyi, the record fee paid by an English club was £15m by Newcastle for Shearer, so that's one third of the latter. The current record fee is £89m paid by Man U for Pogba. One third of this is more or less £30m. The amount we paid for Akinbiyi, when taking into account price inflation, is effectively the same as Slimani. I still think that Slimani is a better player, and we signed him from a top European team and not a player from the second tier.

Archived