Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

West Ham - Post Match Thread 2 - 3

Just now, Kitchandro said:

Massive win. So lucky though. Schmeichel has single handedly given us the 3 points in that half.

3 wins out of 3 for Shakey, but this match has proved to me that he isn't the man for the job full time. It's been said that Skakespeare was very influential on Pearson's tactics when he was here and today was Pearson all over.

It was negligent to not make a substitution for 70 odd minutes and when he did, they were completely wrong. Tactically, the second half was an absolute shambles, in a match we should have completely killed within an hour.

Much like under Pearson, we decided to negate our strengths by sitting back and taking what we'd got rather than continuing to press and attack, which, as we all know, is the only way we can play.

The decision to bring Musa on was absolutely disgraceful. There's just no excuse for even considering that useless lump at all. With him and Slimani on and Vardy off we lost any outlet we could possible have. Gray also remained on the bench, despite the fact he'd have given West Ham something to worry about.

We inevitably came under pressure, and we didn't do a single thing to try and arrest the slide. I have got to seriously question what we were thinking for that last half an hour. There was just not thougt put into anything at all.

It was certainly the correct decision to keep Shakey until the end of the season, as we needed the players on side to get us out of trouble. But he is not the man to get the most out of this squad, because he'll make the same tactical mistakes that Pearson did when we were bottom for 6 months.

Come off it mate.

It's one game, and we won for crying out loud. By the same logic you could say that Ranieri wasn't qualified for the job after losing 5-2 to Arsenal.

I'm not saying he's shown enough yet to get the job, but to say he's not fit for it after getting out first away win this season is a bit bizarre, a couple of iffy tactics aside.

8 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Vardy missed a chance too and people don't slate him. I don't really understand some posters in this forum. Vardy before Shakespeare had all sorts of bad games, and all gave him the benefit of the doubt with Slimani he missed one chance he is the worst. But yes, he needs to leave. 

I'm about the only one that defends Slim since he signed here lol that's why I am gutted he missed because people will give him shit again. 

Just now, Eagle10 said:

We aren't laughing because we lost one of our best ever strikers. 

In the Portuguese league, that is. No offence, but apart from Sporting, Benfica, Porto and maybe Braga, the Liga NOS standard is laughable and the support outside of Lisbon and Porto devastatingly bad. Most stadiums are half-empty because people can't afford to go. Look at what happened at Leiria, beggars belief.

I salute you for your tenacity in defending your hero Slimani, but he's just not good enough (for us) and more of an obstacle than a help.

Just now, lgfualol said:

I'm about the only one that defends Slim since he signed here lol that's why I am gutted he missed because people will give him shit again. 

I was talking to the others, just quoted your post wrongly, sorry about that

Just now, Kitchandro said:

That's a really great argument, pal, you clearly understand tactics.

He got it wrong for half an hour today so everything he did against Liverpool, Hull and Sevilla goes out of the window? Get a grip lad.

He's clearly got what it takes.

Shout out out for Robert Huth.

I know Kasper was MOTM, and Benny played a blinder and Albrighton ran himself into the ground, but a Huth, with a new defensive partner, was a big part of our result today, and he would have been as knackered as anyone.

Proper part of all we have achieved since the great escape started.

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

In the Portuguese league, that is. No offence, but apart from Sporting, Benfica, Porto and maybe Braga, the Liga NOS standard is laughable and the support outside of Lisbon and Porto devastatingly bad. Most stadiums are half-empty because people can't afford to go. Look at what happened at Leiria, beggars belief.

I salute you for your tenacity in defending your hero Slimani, but he's just not good enough (for us) and more of an obstacle than a help.

He isn't my hero, just one of the best strikers I have seen play in my club(Sporting). And he is still a excellent striker, one  player doesn't go from a 6th in the golden boot to not even scoring in some months. Something is happening and to be fair, the best he can do is get out of Leicester.

I don't understand the criticism of Shakey for the subs ..... for me they made perfect sense ....

We were under the cosh so bought on fresh fast legs up front, and someone to hold the ball up ..... How is that anything other than the most obvious thing to do - giving us a respite at the back and possibly killing them game with another goal.

Just now, Vacamion said:

I agree. He's an intelligent footballer who reads the game well. He's obviously lacking some pace now at his age, but still has a lot to offer

Just now, 5waller5 said:

I don't understand the criticism of Shakey for the subs ..... for me they made perfect sense ....

We were under the cosh so bought on fresh fast legs up front, and someone to hold the ball up ..... How is that anything other than the most obvious thing to do - giving us a respite at the back and possibly killing them game with another goal.

and we almost got that killer goal, so would have worked... 

Absolutely heroic effort from the lads. I can't be arsed to slag off Slimani or Musa after that, I'm just relieved that we finally won away and got the vital 3 points.

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I know Kasper was MOTM, and Benny played a blinder and Albrighton ran himself into the ground, but a Huth, with a new defensive partner, was a big part of our result today, and he would have been as knackered as anyone.

Proper part of all we have achieved since the great escape started.

Albrighton was immense, if that guy had a foreign name he'd be drooled over!

Just now, Eagle10 said:

Missed 3 or 4 chances all season and that is missing to many? Yea right...

Ha Ha you are right he is blessed with skills and a monster in the air, well worth the £30 million, no he's like a shit Forest Gump

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Come off it mate.

It's one game, and we won for crying out loud. By the same logic you could say that Ranieri wasn't qualified for the job after losing 5-2 to Arsenal.

I'm not saying he's shown enough yet to get the job, but to say he's not fit for it after getting out first away win this season is a bit bizarre, a couple of iffy tactics aside.

Well that would make no sense, because were actually very positive in that match and lost not because of tactics but because we were playing Arsenal, who's squad cost far more than ours.

This isn't about Ranieri, his tactical failings this season have been and gone. These are tactical failings that we were making when Pearson was the manager and Shakespeare was heavily influential.

This will become a common theme going forward just as it was yet, mark my words.

This isn't 'a couple of iffy tactics', this is brain dead tactics that are costing us initiative in games we should have complete control of.

Shakey obviously has some merits as a man manager, and he may have others. But tactically I'd suggest he's weak.

Just now, 5waller5 said:

Right subs, they just let him down. Slimani didn't do too badly but should have scored.

Musa..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Very surprised that Vardy ran 1.5k Less than Mahrez, and 3k less than Lanzini... 

Great result, hanging on towards the end, Benalouane stepped up and made some crucial tackles, not 100% comfortable at times and was arguably at fault for Ayews goal nowhere near marking his closest man as the ball comes in, but very promising that he could be a defender we can rely on to step in when needed, and who knows even start games in the prem, has hardly had a chance so to step up from reserve games to play against Derby, then from Derby to a very strong west ham side is promising. 

Just now, The Guvnor said:

Ha Ha you are right he is blessed with skills and a monster in the air, well worth the £30 million, no he's like a shit Forest Gump

Someone said in this thread that he is involved in a goal every 75 minutes in the PL, if that is missing to many chances, I'm sorry for you my friend.

1 minute ago, Eagle10 said:

He isn't my hero, just one of the best strikers I have seen play in my club(Sporting). And he is good, one  player doesn't go from a 6th in the golden boot to not even scoring in some months. Something is happening and to be fair, the best he can do is get out of Leicester.

He's 28 years old and hardly going to get any better with age - few strikers can claim they do.

He came on as a sub and - alongside Musa - played right into West Ham's hands. Them two should be the ones with fresh legs.

Musa is the faster of the two, so why he didn't stay further back and operate from the halfway line remains a mystery.

Archived