Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

West Ham - Post Match Thread 2 - 3

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

I am making a prediction. Yes it's possible he will learn from today's mistake but I don't think he will. If I'm wrong I'm sure you'll ram it down my throat, but if I'm right will you bring this thread back up and say I was clever enough to see what was coming?

If you consider he was that influential on Pearson's tactics, how is it a huge stretch to suggest a Pearson-esque managerial display will be repeated in future? I'd say it's something to think about. Today was very reminiscant of that sort of thing.

I know people can't take any negative comments when we're doing well, but for me, this is an audition for the full time job and we need to concentrate on positives and negatives. There's clearly been positives in our 4 performances, but we can't afford to ignore mistakes.

As much as I respected Nigel, I wouldn't want him back under any circumstances. So if Shakespeare is Pearson reincarnated, I would prefer a different long term appointment.

We'll see, but we're not talking about little things here, we're talking about huge tactical mistakes that render a potentially very good team useless. There's not really any excuse for a) leaving Mahrez and Okazaki on for so long when they couldn't hold the ball and look knackered b) bringing Musa on c) leaving Gray on the bench and d) trying to get as deep as possible instead of pressing and attacking.

These are pretty significant things. Considering how long Shakey has been at the club, if he is still making decisions like that I'd say it's quite worrying. It's not like he's just turned up, he should know these things by now.

We criticised Ranieri for those things, why not Shakey? The main difference so far is that the players are playing for him.

Fair enough mate, no offence intended I accept it's your opinion.

I do agree the last 30 minutes were dreadful tactics-wise, I undersold it with iffy, but as you say I think we need to see both positives and negatives and whilst it showed slightly hallmarks of Nige at some points we've came off a difficult game and we came off with the win, I think we've done well enough to forgive what I conceive a slight dampener on an ultimately good result.

If it carries on this way I'll accept that he's not the man for the job, but I'm factoring in the fact this is his first time with the steering wheel away from home comforts with the black cloud of our away record lulling over us. 

We'll at the end of the season either way.

I don't think anyone could deny that we maybe didn't deserve the win and a draw might have been the fair outcome.

West Ham missed some utter sitters and our Keeper played out of his skin.

That said, the drop off in performance second half was forgivable, seeing as the players clearly strained every sinew in a way which was not happening under Ranieri and we dominated the first half and played some lovely passing and possession football, and then dropped off with obvious fatigue, given that they had put in a massive shift on Tuesday (to progress to the Champions League quarter finals, lest you forget).

Yes, Shakespeare might have made different substitutions and the subs might have performed differently,  but we would have snapped your hand off to be in this position a month ago.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

I don't think anyone could deny that we maybe didn't deserve the win and a draw might have been the fair outcome.

West Ham missed some utter sitters and our Keeper played out of his skin.

That said, the drop off in performance second half was forgivable, seeing as the players clearly strained every sinew in a way which was not happening under Ranieri and we dominated the first half and played some lovely passing and possession football, and then dropped off with obvious fatigue, given that they had put in a massive shift on Tuesday (to progress to the Champions League quarter finals, lest you forget).

Yes, Shakespeare might have made different substitutions and the subs might have performed differently,  but we would have snapped your hand off to be in this position a month ago.

We've all gone from accepting relegation to having hope again

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

well..what do some of the chumps on here expect!

There are some on here that appreciate the mental and physical demands from Tuesday night would have an impact today.

Bearing that in mind it was a Herculean performance.

15 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Excellent result today with a fantastic first half performance where we completely outplayed West Ham. Schmeichel was unbelievable throughout!

For those criticising the timing of the subs, Slimani was coming on at 60 mins but an injury to Benny delayed Shakey's decision to continue with the change. In my opinion it was the right thing to do as had we pushed ahead with the sub and Benny then needed to come off we'd have wasted a substitution at a time when West Ham were just starting to get a hold on the game. Giving himself 5 minutes to see how Benny reacted and evaluate the game was a wise move. 

As for the subs themselves I don't think the idea was a bad one, just that the players didn't contribute as much as we would have hoped. The only criticism that I'd level at Shakey regarding the subs was that I felt Musa and Slimani should have swapped roles with Musa as the outlet allowing him to use his pace against a tiring and depleted West Ham defence on the counter and Slimani putting in the graft linking the midfield to attack whilst holding the ball up to allow the midfield and defence to come out a little.

It was very clear that the player's were extremely fatigued from the mid week game (which was no surprise at all given their heroics) so I am a little surprised that some on here are questioning their inability to maintain the high press in the last 30 minutes. 

Ultimately irrespective of how we've achieved the results, we've taken maximum points since Shakey took charge and look like we're now making a charge back up the table. Let's keep focused on the positives and enjoy our renaissance rather than trying to put a dampener on things.

Slimani was supposed to come on for Vardy in the 60'. But Ayew scored so Shakey didn't make a change until the double change in the 75' with Musa and Slimani coming on for Vardy and Okazaki. Benny was injured in the 83' as the change from Mahrez to Chilwell was about to occur. That change was then delayed Benny he made sure Benny was okay and was back on the pitch for a minute but when on as planned.

Slimani and Musa weren't able to team up as Schlupp/Gray and Ulloa were last year to kill off the game. Slimani was walking about the center circle like a loan striker waiting for service and I have no idea the sort of hold up play Musa was brought on for. I don't think they understood the situation they were playing in. We were getting overrun before the substations. The game was calling for a Amartey to sure up the midfield. There were very little in that game between a 3 point game and a 1 point game. Only a world class saves and a couple of big misses from Ayew and Slimani.

Just got back and not had tea yet so I'll make it quick... Good first half, ok second - I thought we invited pressure a bit. (Strange subs - Musa ahead of Gray!?)   ..  Olympic Stadium shite up there with one of the worse grounds I've ever been too.

Still don't rate Musa and nobody will convince me otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

There are some on here that appreciate the mental and physical demands from Tuesday night would have an impact today.

Bearing that in mind it was a Herculean performance.

Spot on mate. It doesn't take a genius to realise we'd be knackered and out of gas by about 60 minutes today.

With that in mind I thought we dug in and hung on really well considering. West Ham might think they were worthy of a draw and that's fair enough as we rode our luck at times.

But we scored 3 goals, away from home, and picked up our first away league win after what was a truly epic victory on Tuesday. Most pundits predicted it would be 'after the lord mayors show' for us today, and yet again we proved them wrong...

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

..  Olympic Stadium shite up there with one of the worse grounds I've ever been too.

Still don't rate Musa and nobody will convince me otherwise.

I listened to the game on the radio and the WHU fans were virtually inaudible yet I could hear our fans chants. Well done guys. The stadium seems soul-less and is probably too big to generate a decent atmosphere no matter how many extra season  tickets they can sell. When the crowd is so far from the pitch it must be hard for the players to feel the crowd.

Second point... Slimani hasn't met the price we paid for him. Musa.. meh... not a player who can do a job for us. He'd look poor playing for Coventry.

I hope that fella who had a heart attack had no wifi signal. I nearly joined him. This club will be the death of us all. Two boring 1 - 0 home wins next please Craig and we're top 10 where we should be.

I think our bad lucks evened out though.

We had a dodgy period near the end, but felt we did enough to justify the win. Vardy should have made it four and Slim missed a sitter although fair play to their keeper on both occasions.

For some reason (probably last Tuesday) we lost all direction after their second goal and started panicking, passing straight to them etc. However two great saves from Kasper made sure the points came home.

Talking about Kasper, I know he is a top keeper, but imo his positioning at free kicks is sometimes suspect. Today he gave too much of a target and basically invited the score. Also the second goal, the shot looked well wide which he pushed away for the corner that led to the goal. Not complaining, just areas of his game he needs to work on. Clearly our best keeper since Shilton, although Wallington was very good. 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I must be the best ..the no1 fan...

My team has just won their 1st away game this season

Top 60minutes

30 minutes of W.Ham turning the screw.

We had 2 great CB performances in those 30 minutes

Plus a top class wonderfull show of shotstopping from our Goalkeeper.

Schmeichel brilliant..

Some of the best movement this season seen from the whole  team.

Albrighton best 50+ minutes this season, if not his best in a blue shirt.

4 game winning streak when we really did need it!!!

Yet at least 10 pages, on the negatives..

Shakespeare not up to it...WTF!!!    

Concentrating on   vendettas, yes !!! Vendettas against 2 of our subs, wasting more space than deserved plaudits, over the game...

Pathetic, even disturbing....Today proved  that we have many Forest fans, jumping on here claiming to be foxes even after 25yrs +  of conning us in believing they support foxes...Or even worse traitors to the cause...

This is one of the worse post match threads...ever !!  be ashamed!!!

***  WE....FU×÷KING  WON  YOU  ..DOZZOS AND DIPSTICKS..

I am so sorry, that it seems I will be supporting Leicester totally on my own.......

If you all apologise, I just might let you all back in....but only....!!

THIS!

LCFC 2015-16.jpg

Just on the train back. Fantastic performance and we did well to hold on. Very lucky in many respects, but Kasper was outstanding. I think everyone; the players, fans and coaching staff alike were still suffering a bit of a hangover from Tuesday, but the important thing was that we held on to a very important three points.

2 minutes ago, the-blue-wildabeast said:

Odd subs, Slim doesnt hold the ball very well or offer a threat on the break, and Musa, well, he looks non league at the minute. To me we needed extra bodies in the midfield while keeping a threat on the break so Amarty and Gray IMO would have been sensible, but all that matters is we have an away win at last.

Amartey and Ulloa should have come on to help us defend our lead.

Slimani and Gray are good for when we need to get a goal or two.

Musa.... never?! lol

Great won. 

Made hard work of it.

Should have had a three goal lead which would have killed it off. West Ham were poor until our poor defending handed them the second goal. Kasper saved us a few times after that 

Subs were baffling. Musa was predictably shite and Slimani doesn't hold ball up well at all and Ulloa would have been better.

Hate their ground

Just now, peterborofox said:

Great won. 

Made hard work of it.

Should have had a three goal lead which would have killed it off. West Ham were poor until our poor defending handed them the second goal. Kasper saved us a few times after that 

Subs were baffling. Musa was predictably shite and Slimani doesn't hold ball up well at all and Ulloa would have been better.

Hate their ground

Good point re their ground. Absolutely hated the place, no character, no soul, not a football stadium. Walking through a concrete, boring no imagination landscape to get there. Even the Etihad and Emirates are better and they are both rubbish in terms of atmosphere.

Fans too too far from pitch, can't hear any singing, that place will never be a fortress. Actually feel sorry for the real West Ham fans, because they have been ignored by the bean counters at their club. 

Archived