Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As the EU would have the same freedom to tell us to take our 'asking for more' and place it where the electromagnetic radiation from our nearest star does not reach.

Off course they could but they wouldn't have the legal powers to stop us, just like any other third country. They'd have to decide whether any changes we make would be worth the disruption in trade to them by trying to sanction us.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Off course they could but they wouldn't have the legal powers to stop us, just like any other third country. They'd have to decide whether any changes we make would be worth the disruption in trade to them by trying to sanction us.

That would be an interesting day.

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Hmmm...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/13/eu-working-push-british-companies-galileo-satellite-space-contracts/

But wait, we've got our own GPS program to start up, using our own soon-to-be-conceived satellite fleet...right?

No country owns GPS except the US and we use that and Russian GLONASS fine at the moment as well as the soon to be Chinese one you lib dem bore. Talk about niche issues

23 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

No country owns GPS except the US and we use that and Russian GLONASS fine at the moment as well as the soon to be Chinese one you lib dem bore. Talk about niche issues

Apologies for the lack of clarity - I was using GPS in the generic form, not to name the network that the US conceived - Galileo is one such GPS network under construction right now.

My argument here is not that we won't have access to satellite data (of course the EU isn't going to stop us using Galileo data and even if they do there are other networks to pick from), but rather the jobs and money at threat within the UK satellite industry (which is doing rather well right now) that will come from cancelled contracts to build and maintain satellites in the Galileo network. I'm not entirely sure job losses in one of the few truly high-tech and successful industries the UK still has is a "niche issue", as you put it.

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

I reckon I could call leicsmac a cum -guzzling cvnt and he'd come back with 'sorry old chap, must be clearer next time'. Most chilled dude on FT. 

I'd kill to have that kind of temperament but I guess that'd be ironic.

My son-in-law (English now took on german citizenship)  ..My son, ( German birthright)

Work for an agency working (only) for this project diectly and indirectly..their jobs are not endangered.

ESA, Germany employ very high % of Brits. No fear factor at present...

Though brexit some lads n lasses are worried about their own  future movement.

Myself I am now in early retirement I have an old permanent right to work and abode.

"Aufenhaltserlaubnis'. With German wife and our kids having German birth certificates

(And English), I have no fear of being forced out...My pension/house is here.I see no need to

take on German citizenship.I will keep my UK passport, though on occasions it might

be a pain coming n going through customs while travelling with my wife..

Be sure of one thing UK politicians wont break their backs, to make it any easier for you  to travel,

they have diplomatic rights of travel, and keep that right well  into pension.

So they wont have to mix now with you riff-raff :whistle:

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I reckon I could call leicsmac a cum -guzzling cvnt and he'd come back with 'sorry old chap, must be clearer next time'. Most chilled dude on FT. 

Unless you tell him global warming isn't happening and in actual fact it's getting colder,

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Unless you tell him global warming isn't happening and in actual fact it's getting colder,

:D

TBF I have a few points of debate where I'll get irritated (normally when the integrity of scientific research is questioned with no good basis for the conspiracy theory), but presenting your argument in a clear and calm fashion tends to work better even if someone is annoying you.

Just now, leicsmac said:

:D

TBF I have a few points of debate where I'll get irritated (normally when the integrity of scientific research is questioned with no good basis for the conspiracy theory), but presenting your argument in a clear and calm fashion tends to work better even if someone is annoying you.

You're not a good troll unless you know where to press :ph34r::D

Small, medium and large companies, and banks and nurses and tech companies are already suffering and moving away from the UK - and the spiral of unemployment and inflation is edging around the corner.

The British Hospitality association said replacing EU workers could take 10 years. The Association of Labour Providers - the cheap temporary labour that picks cheap food from our farms - said they're already failing to fill positions after EU workers are avoiding the UK.

The Somerset cake manufacturer, Ministry of Cake, said they'd be unable to cope with staff shortages for similar reasons. Nissan constantly requiring guarantees has already withdrawn investment from the UK. 

UBS and other banks have already removed their staff to other countries. The highly lucrative and massive employer euro-denominated bank clearing system is under threat after France and the EU started making rumbles about it.

The leading "Fintech" - as our best bet for a new thriving high tech sector - company, Transferwise, has already said it's moving its headquarters to mainland Europe in 2019 because our exit from the Single Market. They're moving. How many companies will avoid us?

Also, if you read the FT today the EU issued a memo about its multi billion pounds contracts. It said if companies want them they'll need to be based in EU countries - this excludes Britain for the first time.

And the EU NHS nurses too. After feeling unwelcome by the Home Office's documented rise in racism and xenophobia after Brexit I'd suspect they're now leaving. And we already advertise in Spain searching for new nurses. The Department of Health has warned of an exodus of 25k to 42k. And they leave with their purchasing power for our economy, too. 

And we're only on, what, day 45 of Brexit?

And you can already see the results. The relative cost of the pound has made our food more expensive. I can already feel the increase in prices. And it's not just me: inflation is at 2.3 from 1.8 in Janurary, the highest since 2013.

And inflation is this bad *before* EU trade tariffs are applied to the prices of the food and goods we buy.

And now the UBS employees, the cake manufacturer employees, the fintech people, the nurses, the fruit pickers are not there to buy the same number of goods, profits will decrease, employees will be let go, companies will try to increase prices to compensate and so onto more inflation: an inflation-unemployment downward spiral. 

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Small, medium and large companies, and banks and nurses and tech companies are already suffering and moving away from the UK - and the spiral of unemployment and inflation is edging around the corner.

The British Hospitality association said replacing EU workers could take 10 years. The Association of Labour Providers - the cheap temporary labour that picks cheap food from our farms - said they're already failing to fill positions after EU workers are avoiding the UK.

The Somerset cake manufacturer, Ministry of Cake, said they'd be unable to cope with staff shortages for similar reasons. Nissan constantly requiring guarantees has already withdrawn investment from the UK. 

UBS and other banks have already removed their staff to other countries. The highly lucrative and massive employer euro-denominated bank clearing system is under threat after France and the EU started making rumbles about it.

The leading "Fintech" - as our best bet for a new thriving high tech sector - company, Transferwise, has already said it's moving its headquarters to mainland Europe in 2019 because our exit from the Single Market. They're moving. How many companies will avoid us?

Also, if you read the FT today the EU issued a memo about its multi billion pounds contracts. It said if companies want them they'll need to be based in EU countries - this excludes Britain for the first time.

And the EU NHS nurses too. After feeling unwelcome by the Home Office's documented rise in racism and xenophobia after Brexit I'd suspect they're now leaving. And we already advertise in Spain searching for new nurses. The Department of Health has warned of an exodus of 25k to 42k. And they leave with their purchasing power for our economy, too. 

And you can already see the results. The relative cost of the pound has made our food more expensive. I can already feel the increase in prices. And it's not just me: inflation is at 2.3 from 1.8 in Janurary, the highest since 2013.

And inflation is this bad *before* EU trade tariffs are applied to the prices of the food and goods we buy.

And now the UBS employees, the cake manufacturer employees, the fintech people, the nurses, the fruit pickers are not there to buy the same number of goods, profits will decrease, employees will be let go, companies will try to increase prices to compensate and so onto more inflation: an inflation-unemployment downward spiral. 

Yeah, but at least we got our sovereignty back.. :rolleyes:

Basically firms are either sodding off or avoiding us because we're not in the Single Market. Firms are downsizing because there's fewer EU labourers feeling welcome to to or legally allowed to pick fruit, serve you coffee, work in factories, start companies or do jobs which need Single Market access. This all means fewer workers buying stuff in the UK. And the workers still buying stuff are buying less: the weak pound and future tariffs will decrease purchasing power. Unemployment, inflation.

21 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Let's completely ignore that net FDI is up since the vote

50 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

They said all this last June, still waiting for that recession.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

No drama, just get on with it. Theresa will lead us to the promised land - I've got every faith in her :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

What does this promised land entail? And how is she leading us there?

Something along the lines of this I reckon..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/23/complaining-brexit-economic-benefits-government-cost-of-living-multinationals

I've no idea how she'll lead us there, but she's our best hope among the current crop of dross imo...

P.S. I actually voted remain, but now it's done, we might as well look at the positives and get behind the PM I reckon. 

35 minutes ago, Webbo said:

They said all this last June, still waiting for that recession.

The implications and details of Brexit will take years to fully show impact. But the increase in inflation has already started - and if May doesn't do something to reduce it the likelihood of a recession increases every day.

1 hour ago, KingGTF said:

Let's completely ignore that net FDI is up since the vote

You're right there. But FDI is a long term investment. Cancelling large projects which have taken years to plan on unknown details of future negotiations may be a little hasty. Look at Nissan though: they had to get the government to agree on a secret deal for them before they piped down. That's not the kind of thing that screams invest here everything will be fine. And any firm that is in some way dependent on the Single Market of 400 million potential buyers may well think twice unless May does a U-turn on that as well - which I sincerely hope she does.

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Something along the lines of this I reckon..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/23/complaining-brexit-economic-benefits-government-cost-of-living-multinationals

I've no idea how she'll lead us there, but she's our best hope among the current crop of dross imo...

P.S. I actually voted remain, but now it's done, we might as well look at the positives and get behind the PM I reckon. 

Fair enough. I'd rather hope for a soft brexit than the hard, destructive brexit her party is hell bend on. The whole thing is stupid imo, but there's still hope it could be less stupid in the full gamit of stupidity currently on offer.

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The implications and details of Brexit will take years to fully show impact. But the increase in inflation has already started - and if May doesn't do something to reduce it the likelihood of a recession increases every day.

inflation is at 2.3 from 1.8 in Janurary, the highest since 2013.

We weren't planning to leave the EU in 2013, we didn't have a recession in 2014. Inflation goes up and down 2.3% is not historically high, even if it gets to 4% it's still lower than it's been for most of my life.

We'll have a recession eventually, I'm surprised we haven't had one already, we're definitely overdue, but it won't necessarily have anything to do with Brexit. Anyway it's not going to affect you in France.

Archived