Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Drop Riyad

Threads like this infuriate me….   He had little or no opportunity and is well capable (have you seen him  play before today???) of creating pure magic

it doesn't happen all the time, but, he fires more than he misfires

so, we need a goal at the KP…  here's a plan…. Let's drop the most gifted creative player I've seen play in a City shirt 

:rolleyes:

Just now, Wolfox said:

Threads like this infuriate me….   He had little or no opportunity and is well capable (have you seen him  play before today???) of creating pure magic

so, we need a goal at the KP…  here's a plan…. Let's drop the most gifted creative player I've seen play in a City shirt 

:rolleyes:

He wasn't far away from getting a penalty either. He certainly drew a straight leg challenge, it just wasn't convincing enough to have a feel of clear penalty and ended up looking more like a dive.

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:

He wasn't far away from getting a penalty either. He certainly drew a straight leg challenge, it just wasn't convincing enough to have a feel of clear penalty and ended up looking more like a dive.

It was as much a penalty as there's I'm afraid…

but, he does worry defences even when he doesn't bring his A game

I cannot see a good argument for starting. At best he looks short on confidence, at worst he's lazy.

He'a barely had a good game all season whilst the other 2 wingers are in far better form. I dot blame Gray if he's fed up of sitting on the bench, the performances do not reflect his game time compared to Mahrez.

Other players have stepped up since Ranieri left but Mahrez hasn't at all. Neither has Drinkwater while we're at it.

5 minutes ago, Monk said:

Got bullied today going forwards and didn't track back as effectively as I would have liked. A poor showing but I would t drop him for the home leg. 

Ee-by-eck lad you'd hang him out t'dry? Ee's a reet good-un if ye ask me!

Just now, Wolfox said:

It was as much a penalty as there's I'm afraid…

but, he does worry defences even when he doesn't bring his A game

Oh agreed, but it wasn't far away, the defender had bought the initial movement but just checked his challenge enough.

Diego is no mug, he had 3 around him most of the time and amended Athletico at half time to ensure Vardy wasn't left with a race with just 2 centre halves on the half way line. 

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Erm, no. The statistics do not back that up at all this season.

He's been consistently poor all season, with very rare flashes of quality.

People are so fvcking blinkered. Stop letting players live off last season FFS.

Thought Madrid did a good job on him today, from what I saw he had 2/3 players on him when he got the ball, and pretty much nobody in front to pass to, and had to try do to much to get a pass away, but then again I don't dislike riyad, and I cannot see anyone slagging drinkwater off, after the amount of times he put us in trouble needlessly giving the ball away.

Tonight's just another example of Mahrez not being as good as he's made out to be. Great first touch and technique. Doesn't have the strength, pace or desire to take games by the scruff of the neck and dominate though. 

Hang on a minute! It was not a game he could get going in did as much if not more than Vardy and let's be honest they were both fine in an extremely tough game! Every time he got the ball he was pulled back or hacked down! I thought it was alright tonight and people who would put Gray in get your blinkers off, Gray isn't fit enough to lace Mahrez's boots at half pace! 

Im a fan of Gray but you can't put him in to pressure cooker like games against world class teams! 

Mahrez is the most skilful player we have ever had but he's hopelessly out of form. it's one thing not to offer anything in attack, but quite another to be putting the team in danger by constantly losing the ball in key areas and setting up opposition counterattacks. I will always love him for last season, but we need him to up his game pdq or he can have no complaints about being dropped.

Just now, Magnificent Flannel said:

It''s one side of his game that Mahrez has improved upon, perhaps detrimentally to his attacking game. Gray also improving and has better energy bursting forwards, at the moment.

Yeh I like gray but he's not yet at Mahrez's level. I'm still not convinced by his end product and his defensive side is currently not even a patch on Riyad's . He also tends to drift inside too much at the moment exposing our flank and crowding that middle area.

Disagree, can't argue that he wasn't at his best tonight - but Riyad does this and he's due a good game in a minute at home. I mentioned it in the match thread but don't forget that he wins us freekicks up the pitch as well, if he gets into trouble he manipulates the foul and then we get a setpiece in their half/alleviates pressure as well - things like this could prove cruical. Gray can do this too as well of course but Riyad drives into the box (as long as he doesnt blatantly dive like tonight lol) more whereas Gray normally turns and unleashes a shot from the edge of the box. Gray has to feature off the bench no doubt and he will i'm sure.

When he was given the ball, in the other half, he looked quite good, we looked dangerous.

But tonight, he was often  given the ball in death valley, far too deep because we were on the backfoot.

the team and coaches  have to somehow refind, rekindle the confidence of Keeping both Mahrez and Vardy up front.

I have ideas, but no answers, maybe its Shinji who must play deeper and Mahrez more with Vardy, who knows.

We expect too much from Mahrez and too much defensive duties, he like Vardy has to be given his wings,

like last season....

Thats my opinion, take alot to change it.

This season like la s t season when he has had space, he has made his own room.Tonights game he was 

receiving the ball, in the hospital ward.

Maybe Drinkwater lack of form and team failure to find their balance, leaves Riyhad too deep with  no space to run in.

3 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Yeh I like gray but he's not yet at Mahrez's level. I'm still not convinced by his end product and his defensive side is currently not even a patch on Riyad's . He also tends to drift inside too much at the moment exposing our flank and crowding that middle area.

I would, 100%, play Mahrez at home, though. With the crowd behind him, I think he'll be devastating. 

His performances on the pitch are on a par with what Ranieris were off it.He is a liability at the moment and needs benching.Gray just needs to think about the final ball and his decision making and he will offer far more at present.

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You wouldn't have thought we've won 5 from 6 in the league and got a very creditable European away result of late by these threads would you? 

I love him to bits and defended him pretty often.

I didn't see the first half, but even if he defended well, as it seems, his decision making in the second was infuriating. He had at least 2, 3 and sometimes 5 players around him the whole time. Those players were no mugs, even when he skinned one or two there was always one to take the ball away from him. He should have released the ball earlier on many occasions. 

I know such players need confidence and solid CMs behind them to allow them to thrive. I never judged him on the miles he ran, however he and DD are the only ones who didn't really turn up since Shakey took over. It frustrates me and I find it sad to see him called one season wonder. He can much more but yet have to show it. The season's coming to an end. 

Archived