Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Drop Riyad

19 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Erm, no. The statistics do not back that up at all this season.

He's been consistently poor all season, with very rare flashes of quality.

People are so fvcking blinkered. Stop letting players live off last season FFS.

I love it when people talk bollox in absolute terms…

Just now, ramadaone said:

So in summary do you think Shaky will drop Mahrez next Tuesday night ?

it ain't happening full stop

Yeh no chance. I do think we will see Gray if we need a goal at home though. I think he would have made the change if we were 2-0 down. Think Shakey wanted to keep it tight and Mahrez has improved on his defensive side and works well with Simpson

Main creative source doesn't play well in 'backs to the wall' European away-leg shocker! lol His record after CR isn't too bad really, and his CL stats are ok.

Would have been happy enough with Grey at 75/80 mins though, as they are quite similar players

The ace in the pack for Tuesday is Gray. King came on and it made no difference in terms of pressing. Madrid set the tone they want and us being horrible when they're defence has it makes little difference, what they can't cope with is the space between our midfield and attack, they shit it. If we've a maverick like Demarai there then heaven help them. They'll lose shape, it's the only way. Be brave my apprentice. Dig deep, clench fists.

You know the problem with playing just one 'creative' player in the side with plenty of flair?

You saw the answer tonight.

When he had the ball, he actually beat players....the problem is, there isn't anyone else on his level.

Vardy and okazaki, despite their effort, have awful technical ability.

Albrighton can whip in a cross, but again, too hit and miss and 'flair' isn't his suit in the slightest. He's an old fashioned winger.

Drinkwater has been awful this season, too slow, lightweight and looks like a championship player.

Ndidi is a defensive mid, and showed how good he was second half.

I'm sure someone will try and point out that 'Payet did it all on his own last season'....well that isn't true, Lanzini is far more creative than any of our midfield with the exception of Riyad.

Griezmann and Riyad were actually the 'classiest' players on the pitch. The difference was we allowed Griezmann to play for 45 mins, whilst they tripled up on Mahrez all night.

3 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Main creative source doesn't play well in 'backs to the wall' European away-leg shocker! lol His record after CR isn't too bad really, and his CL stats are ok.

Would have been happy enough with Grey at 75/80 mins though, as they are quite similar players

I have been critical of Mahrez before but have to agree. Very difficult game for him, although I would say that our other winger had a much more positive impact on the game but I suspect that was because he wasn't so heavily marshalled whenever he got the ball. 

Gray for Mahrez in the 2nd leg will surely happen. There is no one better running with the ball from deep than Gray and that's what we will need to try unlock this defence. 

Mahrez had few nice dribbles and that one for the penalty claim nearly came off, but he does need to do more if he is to get a dream move to one of the big clubs 

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Hang on a minute! It was not a game he could get going in did as much if not more than Vardy and let's be honest they were both fine in an extremely tough game! Every time he got the ball he was pulled back or hacked down! I thought it was alright tonight and people who would put Gray in get your blinkers off, Gray isn't fit enough to lace Mahrez's boots at half pace! 

Im a fan of Gray but you can't put him in to pressure cooker like games against world class teams! 

Absolutely this. He was never going to get much of the ball tonight. When he did he was hacked at, griezmann did a number on him in the first half but only a foul was given, no booking which pretty much sums up what he was going to get all game. The fact that he and vardy were identified as the danger men and were swarmed on pretty much all game shows how much of a danger man he is. I wouldnt drop him, especially at home as when we get going he is unplayable.

4 hours ago, sdb said:

Agreed. He was playing for himself tonight. And not well. Play him Saturday and bench for Tuesday. Good option to have late on but the work ethic tonight wasn't good in my eyes. 

he is playing for the spanish agents & managers..  showcase

3 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Been starting to think the same recently- the moments of magic are now too rare to carry a defensive pedestrian on the wing in our system.

I started the thread after the Liverpool game, where I thought every player bar him were sensational and thought whether carrying him for a game just for a moment of magic, which we weren't getting, was worth it anymore. He did pick up form straight after and played his part in our winning run, although seems to have dropped off again recently and certainly not having as much impact as he should be.

The support for his poor form tends to be that he is doubled up on, which I agree does happen and of course will nulify him to a certain extend. It is often used as an excuse though as to why he is not performing well, and even if it is a valid reason, does that mean we can't drop him for Gray who perhaps wouldn't be doubled up on and so have more impact on the game? 

I actually don't think he should be dropped for Tuesday night, as we may well need a magical moment and although we haven't seen many for most of the season, it could win us the tie. I would be hauling him off soon after half-time though if we see similar to what we have got all season. 

I actually thought he contributed OK in defence tonight and has improved that side of his game and built a decent partnership with Simpson and one of the reasons I don't think Shakey risked Gray coming on.

1 minute ago, Ted Maul said:

Been starting to think the same recently- the moments of magic are now too rare to carry a defensive pedestrian on the wing in our system.

You are right, in a sense. at times despite what the opposition are doing we still try giving it to riyad purely for the unpredictable and that we know he can create something out of nothing. yet this season more often than not he is snuffed out.

movement can create big opportunities and he is a catalyst in creating these purely because he drags that extra man across but can pick a pass to exploit the gaps created. an example is west ham at home last season where we broke quick early on, riyad was doubled up, checked back. drew the foul i think and played in kante. kante carried it 15/20 yards, played in vardy and bang 1-0. if somebody is willing to commit themselves like that, purely by stepping into space or by willing to leave a gap behind them we will create more chances, i just feel this season we have been a little reluctant to do that and concentrated on keeping the shape. we did break this against stoke, where ndidi found himself in acres and scored a screamer. its all about confidence and taking it to your opponent. we weren't willing to try this tonight and probably rightly so, as atletico have dangerous players who can hurt you in space and on the break

either way i felt riyad tracked back well, struggled to get much of the ball but when he did it opened space on the pitch. it wasn't exploited tonight but it will be on Tuesday, as the risks and rewards are much greater and we are bound to take the game to atletico

Weren't we all in the drop Riyad camp months ago when he was in Africa Cup? Then when Gray got his chance, the attack didn't improve at all. It actually got worse and started a goal drought.

I'm not sure what Gray would've done differently today in the attack. He's a speed dribbler not a finesse dribbler. Someone is going to have to explain to me what they expect out of Gray against the most on form left back on the planet and Saul double teaming him.  

7 minutes ago, boobagab said:

Weren't we all in the drop Riyad camp months ago when he was in Africa Cup? Then when Gray got his chance, the attack didn't improve at all. It actually got worse and started a goal drought.

I'm not sure what Gray would've done differently today in the attack. He's a speed dribbler not a finesse dribbler. Someone is going to have to explain to me what they expect out of Gray against the most on form left back on the planet and Saul double teaming him.  

Harsh on Gray as the team was in one hell of slump when Mahrez was away.

I don't think we should drop Mahrez for tuesday but I do think Gray could make an impact from the bench. You only have to look at the speed he broke and created the goal against Everton, to know his strengths and Atletico have really done their homework on Mahrez and his constant cutting back onto his left, is very predictable and easily picked off at the moment.

Gray could possible offer a very different challenge for them and it may have more of an impact. I think it's always important to try change things if needed and not write something off before giving it a fair chance.

With Mahrez and his particular style and the way Atletico set up, we know more often than not, he gets nulified but we don't know that, with Gray and his speed of dribble, so it would be worth a try on Tuesday if Mahrez is having no impact.

6 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

This - all day long.

He was a deft sniper of a player against the tanks of Athletico.

Perhaps Gray's physically and speed would have been a help. But would you have swapped Mahrez's proven world class shooting, dribbling and ball control for that?

He'd have had a better game if he hadn't  been fouled/pulled back nearky every time  when about to go on a run out of our defence with the ball......and not a single yellow given unlike Huths? 

No way on God's good earth the people's champion Dimmi Gray works as hard as Riyad did defensively in that game. Won't get anywhere near starting and rightly so.

Besides, for every good game Gray has going forward he has a couple of shockers making absolutely bollocks decisions and wasting the ball or looking like a high-speed Shinji, dribbling straight at a defender and falling over.

Boy has a future, don't want to sell him, but he's yet another classic Foxestalk "player not playing always better than he is."

You'd think he's Ronaldo the way some people on here bang on.

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

No way on God's good earth the people's champion Dimmi Gray works as hard as Riyad did defensively in that game. Won't get anywhere near starting and rightly so.

Besides, for every good game Gray has going forward he has a couple of shockers making absolutely bollocks decisions and wasting the ball or looking like a high-speed Shinji, dribbling straight at a defender and falling over.

Boy has a future, don't want to sell him, but he's yet another classic Foxestalk "player not playing always better than he is."

You'd think he's Ronaldo the way some people on here bang on.

and you'd think he was Josh Low listening to you and some others! lol

Don't drop him , anyone calling for him to be dropped doesn't understand the game... just him being on the pitch scares the opposition which means they double up on him and move players out of position. He is playing well, his movement and touch is amazing, better than anything we have right now 

Archived