Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4650294/Premier-League-clubs-rack-170-000-miles-pre-season.html

Article in the Fail on the amount of air miles each premier league club will be clocking up this summer.

At 12,378, we're one of the highest, more than Everton and Spuds, whilst Arsenal have the highest by far of 21,202.

Penniless Burnley come in with the lowest at 1,288 (Southampton N/A as they've only 1 friendly arranged!).

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Fair play to Bournemouth and Everton for showing a bit of ambishun. Wish we had some of that. Embarrassing that we were celebrating the league title this time last year and now we're finishing below Bournemouth and watching them progress as we do nothing. 

We've signed Maguire. If we get Iheanacho and Sigurdsson (we won't) then we'd have blown every club around us out the water. I am getting a bit frustrated as the past few windows are still there in the background and I've a horrible feeling we'll balls up this window too, I have lost all faith in our recruitment process and team. Ake would have been superb for us but I can see why he's gone to Bournemouth, he loved it on loan there and might like the area for various reasons. Begovic we'd only have been remotely interested if Kasper left and that would be a travesty for us anyway. Defoe isn't our cup of tea when we've Vardy who is better than him anyway in how he fits our team.

I hope we can recruit some proven PL class, there's a few we'll miss out on I'm sure but as long as we don't piss about and show some intent then that'll at least show we're learning from our past mistakes.

• Like 3

They've done what they needed to do in that they've got a decent goalkeeper and a defender who stopped them conceding as many when he was there last season. 

They've also been very clever in signing three players who have played at the club before.

I was a critic of their business last summer and also the Eddie Howe jizzfest so i'll reserve judgement until after their first ten games... but all in all they certainly seem to have got their act together. 

It might take another 3/4 years but I see Bournemouth becoming another Wigan-type club (eg once they are relegated it  would be doubtful if they returned to the PL any times soon). Like Wigan, Bournemouth never has been and never will be a football town. Just a rich man's plaything like it was for Dave Whelan.

And we at Burnley know all about Eddie Howe - another half a dozen games with Howe in charge (before Dyche arrived) and we would most likely have started the 2013/14 season in League One instead of going on to be Championship runners-up to Leicester. Check the league tables if you don't believe me.

Edited by lancyclaret

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Don't rate Ince one bit

Agreed.

Him and Will Hughes, in particular, should consider themselves as lucky to be given the chance to play in the PL, despite being quite average and only showing their true potentials quite rarely.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 2

Bournemouth's business hasn't been anything special, Begovic is a decent keeper (although anybody would be better than Artur Bollocks). Ake's a good signing tbf but Defoe on a three year deal is absolutley awful. He scored 10 non-penalty goals last season (admittedly for a terrible side) and he's only going to get worse performance wise this season because he's 35 in October plus they've already got a shit load of strikers

• Like 1

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I call him 'alf A Bollock

He plays like he's got half an arm, how has he even made it to the premier league both him and Gomes are sooo shite

38 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Bournemouth's business hasn't been anything special, Begovic is a decent keeper (although anybody would be better than Artur Bollocks). Ake's a good signing tbf but Defoe on a three year deal is absolutley awful. He scored 10 non-penalty goals last season (admittedly for a terrible side) and he's only going to get worse performance wise this season because he's 35 in October plus they've already got a shit load of strikers

same with everton, the only decent signing they look like making it Keane. I'd say Bournemouth have done better business out of the two clubs. 

Edited by AmarteyAndChill

39 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

same with everton, the only decent signing they look like making it Keane. I'd say Bournemouth have done better business out of the two clubs. 

I think Everton have done pretty well, personally. Overspent on Pickford but the rest have been good buys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I think Everton have done pretty well, personally. Overspent on Pickford but the rest have been good buys.

Pickford has Potential but at present time he makes mistakes. Klaassn was awful against Man United and the Dutch league isn't great(Jansson scored 20 goals in that league). Sandro looks decent but is still very young. Keane is a decent CB.

If they lose Lukaku I reckon they will go backwards rather than forwards unless they add more quality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

It might take another 3/4 years but I see Bournemouth becoming another Wigan-type club (eg once they are relegated it  would be doubtful if they returned to the PL any times soon). Like Wigan, Bournemouth never has been and never will be a football town. Just a rich man's plaything like it was for Dave Whelan.

And we at Burnley know all about Eddie Howe - another half a dozen games with Howe in charge (before Dyche arrived) and we would most likely have started the 2013/14 season in League One instead of going on to be Championship runners-up to Leicester. Check the league tables if you don't believe me.

Didn't Howe sign a majority of your best players that finished runners up to us?

• Like 1

Not sure why anyone should be jealous that Everton signed Keane for nearly 30 million when we got Maguire for at most 17. Keane has more experience but an extra 10 mil? Not worth it imo.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

same with everton, the only decent signing they look like making it Keane.

I have to agree.

Lets be real Pickford isn't even in the top 10 best keepers in the league.

Courtois, Lloris, Cech, De Gea, Ederson, Heaton, Begovic, Butland, Foster & Schmeichel are all better than him.

Valdes, Fabianski, Forster & Romero are decent keepers too.

Keane (don't think they've actually signed him yet).. Hard to say if he's any better than Maguire.

Klaassen will have to adapt to the PL & many players from the Dutch league have failed.

On paper these players have bright futures. But as of right now, they aren't exactly game changers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

I have to agree.

Lets be real Pickford isn't even in the top 10 best keepers in the league.

Courtois, Lloris, Cech, De Gea, Ederson, Heaton, Begovic, Butland, Foster & Schmeichel are all better than him.

Valdes, Fabianski, Forster & Romero are decent keepers too.

Keane (don't think they've actually signed him yet).. Hard to say if he's any better than Maguire.

Klaassen will have to adapt to the PL & many players from the Dutch league have failed.

On paper these players have bright futures. But as of right now, they aren't exactly game changers.

Never going to break into the top 6. Also, with the added Europa league games it gives chances for other sides like ourselves, Bournemouth to try and finish 7th and get into Europe. 

• Like 1