Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

I wonder what Shakespeare felt when Ranieri talked about 40 points last August as reigning champions. Or when Ranieri said we were underdogs against a League One team. 

Shakespeare already talking a better game than CR. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I wonder what Shakespeare felt when Ranieri talked about 40 points last August as reigning champions. Or when Ranieri said we were underdogs against a League One team. 

Thought exactly the same when I saw this. I'm far happier having Shakespeare selling us as a club to players rather than Ranieri with his 40 points talk. We're a more attractive club this summer than we were last, imo

1 minute ago, Koke said:

lol No wonder nobody seemed to have any respect for Ranieri/didn't have a clue what he was thinking.

Of course we should be aiming for higher than that, I actually couldn't believe half the crap coming out of Ranieri's mouth last season.

Good to hear him say that, let's hope we back up his ambition on the field with good players and good football.

As far as I'm concerned, the aim of any club should be to win the league, really. What's the point of taking part in a competition if your end goal isn't to try and win it?

I've never understood people who only aim for survival, it's a terrible mindset to have.

Obviously you then prepare for every individual opponent as they come. If you're Huddersfield you don't set up against Chelsea thinking you're going to roll them over with your all out attack but that doesn't mean you aim to be only scraping 12 odd points by Christmas either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Ranieri just said 40 points to the media ffs, lowered expectations whilst we stealthily pulled away at the top. Duped some of you as well as the British tabloids too!

I think they're talking about last season when we were defending the title.

He immediately went back to saying our target is 40 points and safety. Which, regardless of what he was saying behind closed doors, was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

I think they're talking about last season when we were defending the title.

He immediately went back to saying our target is 40 points and safety. Which, regardless of what he was saying behind closed doors, was ridiculous. 

I don't think we would of hit 40 points and wouldn't of had a champions league quartet final place

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Ranieri just said 40 points to the media ffs, lowered expectations whilst we stealthily pulled away at the top. Duped some of you as well as the British tabloids too!

In our title winning season I agree, definitely.

But then last year, trying to play the same trick again was not only a little foolhardy but mines setting the wrong tone.

Surprised on Rooney's decline to be honest.

Seems to have faded away dramatically during Mourinho'a tenure.

Could potentially be a great signing for Everton, but have the feeling Rooney has lost some of the skill he has known for during his earlier career imo.

That is not a good signing for Everton. I've defended Rooney a fair bit on here but last season it was blatantly obvious his head and legs had had it. Could teach Davies / Barkley (if he stays) a fair bit, perhaps, but I'm not sure that he's worth the wages he'll no doubt be on just to be an experienced head.

• Like 1

Get the impression that they're signing Rooney for his brand and not Rooney the player. Rooney is more famous worldwide than Everton are and they've now got the money and ambition to piss massive wages away for the exposure he'll bring them.

Rooney isn't just an average player now he's genuinely terrible, Everton have made some shrewd signings and have got their business done early but this is idiotic - he's not going to get in ahead of Barkley, Klassen or Sandro surely and he'll be on big money too.

I can't imagine Walsh would have wanted this signing.

I think Everton have had a great window so far, but really i'm not that envious. Kasper > Pickford, I don't know much about that Klaasen but i'll be relatively happy with our CM options when Iborra is confirmed. Keane is a quality young player but so is McGuire and If Rooney does go there i'd not be jealous in the slightest.

Sandro looks a bargain and if they end up getting Sigurdsson too then fair play, but really...not that worried by the moves they're making atm. I do fancy them to do well next year though.

6 hours ago, Goober said:

I think Everton have had a great window so far, but really i'm not that envious. Kasper > Pickford, I don't know much about that Klaasen but i'll be relatively happy with our CM options when Iborra is confirmed. Keane is a quality young player but so is McGuire and If Rooney does go there i'd not be jealous in the slightest.

Sandro looks a bargain and if they end up getting Sigurdsson too then fair play, but really...not that worried by the moves they're making atm. I do fancy them to do well next year though.

I agree. They've spent big but other than Keane there is no stand out player yet. Koeman is a good manager though so could gel them. I don't see them pushing top 4 with those signings or squad though. And if Lukaku leaves they'll have a big hole to fill.