Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

14 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Chelsea have sold what 4 players now including Matic. And bought no one iirc. Is there squad massive or something?

Well they're only really selling players that can't even make their bench, so it's not like they are losing much

And yes, the Chelsea squad is ridiculously huge, they've got enough players to field three separate teams

6 hours ago, WiFoxes said:

I've read that and it's left me a little confused. I watch games on nbc sports extra via a vpn  does this mean they're no longer streaming them through that?

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

I've read that and it's left me a little confused. I watch games on nbc sports extra via a vpn  does this mean they're no longer streaming them through that?

I believe they still are, but only if it's being broadcast on a television channel (NBC, NBCSN). If it is not on one of those channels you'll now be required to pay $50 and use the NBC Sports Gold service. 

30 minutes ago, WiFoxes said:

I believe they still are, but only if it's being broadcast on a television channel (NBC, NBCSN). If it is not on one of those channels you'll now be required to pay $50 and use the NBC Sports Gold service. 

Will NBCSN still be streaming all the games?

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Will NBCSN still be streaming all the games?

As you said its confusing but From what I can make out there won't be any of the nbcsn EXTRA channels,

Seems NBCSN will only be showing the games that are available here on SKY/BT the rest will be on the new gold channels 

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

As you said its confusing but From what I can make out there won't be any of the nbcsn EXTRA channels,

Seems NBCSN will only be showing the games that are available here on SKY/BT the rest will be on the new gold channels 

Bollocks!

It does seem a crazy move by NBC, although you can see why they would do it.. If a *ahem* football fan in the USA is committed to their team enough to watch a game at 6am on a Saturday morning then they're more than likely going to be willing to fork out the $50 to carry on doing so next season.

I wonder if UK-based fans will be able to purchase an NBC Sports Gold subscription and use a VPN to watch these games.

Interestingly in their FAQs they say:

The NBC Sports Gold app is only authorized for use within the United States.

However, on their purchase page (http://www.nbcsports.com/gold/int/nbc-sports-gold-packages-prices), with regards to their Motocross pass (as the Premier League one isn't available yet) they say:

Available in the U.S., UK, Germany, Sweden, Canada, Ireland. Denmark, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Japan.

I would suspect the price may go up next season if this is well-received (which it won't be at first, until fans of non-Top 6 teams start realising they can't watch any of their beloved team's games, at which time they'll all be forking out the $$).

In one sense I've been thrilled to be able to watch literally every Premier League game for no additional cost through DirecTV. And if I had not been able to there's no way I would have wound up a Leicester fan. In another with the way the league has exploded over here, it was probably only a matter of time. The accessibility was always credited as one of the biggest reasons for the gaining popularity. I mean to watch all MLS games you have to pay $80 per season, and the production is quite poor compared to what NBC does. The Bundesliga has also been very difficult to follow because FOX sticks almost everything behind a paywall and their coverage stinks. We'll see what happens from here on out...

On 27/06/2017 at 16:08, Foxxed said:

Chelsea have sold what 4 players now including Matic. And bought no one iirc. Is there squad massive or something?

They own half the players in Europe, perhaps some are ready to be recalled & step up

Perhaps they's some big boys arriving, which they'll need now they've got PL & CL

little old Bournemout splashing the cash

Annoys me that we're not getting him for £20m! Or even more but I presume he's made his intentions clear that he wanted to join Bournemouth and nobody else...

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

little old Bournemout splashing the cash

Annoys me that we're not getting him for £20m! Or even more but I presume he's made his intentions clear that he wanted to join Bournemouth and nobody else...

I'd imagine it's his decision over the fee, he was livid when he got

re called to mostly sit on the bench lol plus he's settled in Bournemouth :)

I read earlier that Andre Gray wants £100k a week and he's likely to get it too. 

Even with a mad, over inflated market, it's still surreal to see a club like Bournemouth paying £20m for a player and contemplating giving another player £100k a week. 

Good luck to them, though. Their fans are the nicest in the League by a mile. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danizen said:

I read earlier that Andre Gray wants £100k a week and he's likely to get it too. 

Even with a mad, over inflated market, it's still surreal to see a club like Bournemouth paying £20m for a player and contemplating giving another player £100k a week. 

Good luck to them, though. Their fans are the nicest in the League by a mile. 

I thought Andre Gray played for Burnley? Have I missed something?

BREAKING: Arsenal have had bids rejected for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette and Monaco winger Thomas Lemar, according to Sky sources.

Arsenal have had an offer of €35m (£30.74m) turned down by Monaco for Thomas Lemar

Arsenal have had an offer of €50m

(£44m) turned down by Lyon 

17 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

BREAKING: Arsenal have had bids rejected for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette and Monaco winger Thomas Lemar, according to Sky sources.

Arsenal have had an offer of €35m (£30.74m) turned down by Monaco for Thomas Lemar

Rejection Strange on the basis that these amounts were, I believe, quoted by local journos as being what was required. 

20 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Atletico offered €65m for Lacazette. Same old Wenger ?

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Rejection Strange on the basis that these amounts were, I believe, quoted by local journos as being what was required. 

Yeah I was surprised as well, apparently according to various News reports Lemar is no longer for sale as they don't want to lose him and Bakayogo in the same window 

Lyon have also apparently upped the amount wanted for Lacazette to €57m 

20 hours ago, WiFoxes said:

That's about one UK pound per game week.  It took me about five minutes to quit fuming and realize, I'll pay the man, and it will be worth that price for my real-time access to every game.

From Arlo White on down, NBC has built a generally good team of broadcasters.  The technical quality of the streams is also good.  And they are the reason why I can often engage with my club on a level as good or better than those of you in the UK who cannot get to games.  At a less extortionate price.

IMO this is one clever job of slicing off a small subset of US TV-sports consumers who are probably younger and more affluent, and already used to watching games through streaming rather than the coax into the set.  And turning us into a leading edge for how to "monetize" their broadcasts in the post-cable age.  Clever enough bastards to get my $50 anyway.