Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Gray - considering future

10 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Couldn't blame him if he left, given very little opportunity, but Liverpool would be the same, he needs to go somewhere he's a nailed on starter

Lots of players have needed less opportunity in football to take advantage of it.

I watched him today - and considered it a perfect opportunity to make his case with a goal, assist or both in the closing quarter.

What I witnessed was a guy going through motions and almost detached from the squad. Like Schlupp before he left he just passed the ball safely to colleagues and on only one occasion, as I recall, did he open up with a more searching pass.

Gray's been here a fair while now and is one of the few players I still don't think of as belonging here and being a committed part of what we stand for.

Musa is another and Kapustka too.

I may be sadly wrong  (and would actually hope I am) but Gray always strikes me as playing for himself first and the team second. Today I wasn't sure he wanted to play at all, but would rather just fulfill his function and see the day through.    

There were no exciting runs or venomous shots. Just a young man going through motions. Nothing memorably good. Nothing bad. I felt quite sad for him in some ways because his football problems won't likely disappear for moving somewhere else. They'll only improve when he puts self second and team first. 

Just maybe he did that today by taking no unnecessary risks. But the game was a stalemate and just crying out for the kind of individual brilliance so many of our fans associate with the lad, including my youngest son among them and he's right every bit as often as I am if we disagree.

But thee was no brilliance. Just a functionary footballer.         

If he moves to Liverpool I'll wish him well and hope he'll finds the manager to hone his talent to best effect.

But it won't happen without his own contribution...

Subscription to the philosophy of "All for One, One for All".

And you can't do that standing apart on the fringe.   

35 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

His best bet for actually starting at a premier team likely to be in the PL at the end of next season is to stay where he is. Wonder if he's mature enough to realise that? 

i'd hope so but can't help having my doubts. Klopp seems like a special coach but there's no way any coach will keep faith with anyone who fails to respond.  

Anyone looking at Chilwell today would have seen a massive difference in body language compared with Gray.

Yes, Chilwell made mistakes - perhaps more than  against Spurs - but the boy was 100% involved, committed and doing his very best for his team in every situation 

It takes courage to make mistakes being yourself and still go again. But it's the mark of a winner. Gradually they reduce the mistakes and blossom like a tree in springtime. 

Gray today offered only a fraction of his best. A kind of risk-free aside, if you like

Mahrez made mistakes and tried again and again to impose his talents on the proceedings and make a difference. Basically that's why one's a "star" and the other's a "hopeful".

Forget today. The lad has quality. Yes he needs to develop his decision making, but he has magic in his feet and is lightning quick. His decision making won't get better sat on the bench. It's almost criminal how little we've used him in recent months and I don't blame him for being unhappy. I'll be disappointed if we lose him. 

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Forget today. The lad has quality. Yes he needs to develop his decision making, but he has magic in his feet and is lightning quick. His decision making won't get better sat on the bench. It's almost criminal how little we've used him in recent months and I don't blame him for being unhappy. I'll be disappointed if we lose him. 

He never takes his chances, had a chance to play 20+ minuets today and he didn't do anything. Just walked around the pitch like he wasn't really bothered. Need more from him. 

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

Well it looks like he will get his chance next season if he has a good pre season the same as everybody else. If Mahrez goes he should be first choice but it is up to him to make the shirt his own.

Do not think so......people moan about Mahrez but the attitudes are incomparable....Riyad is a great pro with a very unselfish attitude with no air of arrogance....loved by all at the training ground whereas Gray is very much the opposite.

For those hoping he will replace Riyad you will be disappointed as he is on his way ....he thinks he should be a starter and has offers elsewhere which will mean he moves on - he will not get in the other clubs first 11 but thinks he is better than he is sadly.

a young player who could waste his talent....time will tell!

Only concern is with Mahrez already on the cards to move, loosing Gray too will leave us with very little creativity. We will need to go and buy some magicians and if they are any good they don't come cheap. 

1 hour ago, AS78UK said:

Only concern is with Mahrez already on the cards to move, loosing Gray too will leave us with very little creativity. We will need to go and buy some magicians and if they are any good they don't come cheap. 

Gray has no creativity anyway. At least Mahrez creates chances. I don't think gray created a single one yesterday. 

9 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Do not think so......people moan about Mahrez but the attitudes are incomparable....Riyad is a great pro with a very unselfish attitude with no air of arrogance....loved by all at the training ground whereas Gray is very much the opposite.

For those hoping he will replace Riyad you will be disappointed as he is on his way ....he thinks he should be a starter and has offers elsewhere which will mean he moves on - he will not get in the other clubs first 11 but thinks he is better than he is sadly.

Not disagreeing he has had chances and has not taken them and like many before him does seem to rate himself better than his performances suggest. It is up to him to take the chance if and when it comes, if he cannot wait then time to go but on our terms.

11 hours ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

He never takes his chances, had a chance to play 20+ minuets today and he didn't do anything. Just walked around the pitch like he wasn't really bothered. Need more from him. 

To be fair he has been spending a lot of time with Riyad this season, the 'apprentice and the master' type thing. Obviously it's rubbing off on him. 

He was probably our standout performer last pre-season and yet after a couple of starts in the Charity Shield and vs Hull in the opening league game, he was back to being peripheral. I think a new regime at Leicester is his only hope. 

10 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Do you have any evidence for this? I'm not doubting your statement but certainly curious. I think Gray shows flashes of sheer genius, but all too often he's all-but invisible.

He is a typical young English football that belives his own hype. He has so much to learn before he can even start to think he will be a regular for us let alone a top 4 team. He doesnt try to look interested even when the subs are warming up at half time he is just kicking a ball at an empty net trying to perfect his 'Ronaldo' style free kick - which i must admit he looks along way from doing! Personally i would sell him. I dont believe there is a 12million release clause i am sure this has been mentioned before. If we were to get 15-20mill (dont forget you have to add the English player tax) then sell and get someone else in that works for the team not just themselves.  

3 hours ago, AS78UK said:

That won't be a problem. According to plenty on here, we don't need creativity, just players who work hard lol.

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Embarrassing comments about a young talent. Winning the title really has turned some of our fans into idiots

So you've been impressed by this young talent then?! We won the league with an average team that played together for each other. Gray doesnt fit that bill at all unfortunately we are still an average team and if we dont play as a team we get beat its that simple. If he put a shift in when he plays i wouldnt mind but he doesn't he had litterally been on the pitch 5 minutes and he was jsut strolling back leaving Chillwell with a 2 on 1. We cannot afford to carry a player and unfortunately thats what it seems like we have to do when Gray plays.

I would sell him for 15mill plus a sell on fee. He's not really a team player, promote Tom Lawrence who is just as good on his day.

The reasons I would sell:

a) he never really wanted to come here in the 1st place

b) even after 2 weeks of us signing him he was being linked with other clubs. Can't be doing with that, just get rid

1 hour ago, dannythefox said:

Needs to keep it simple and play down the right and just get the ball crossed at every chance. We're not doing him any favours by making him cut in every time from the left. 

Played on the left for Birmingham? 

Archived