Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Speed Awareness Course

I work around the corner from the speed awareness course place. You can see the attendees a mile off. From about half a mile away you see drivers in the wrong lanes of roundabouts cutting others up, they stop randomly outside the building then move off as you try to overtake and then go the wrong way round the car park and through the no entry route. Seriously.

Having watched this over the last 5 years I've concluded that people don't end up there because they drive fast, they end up there because they have absolutely zero observation skills. The fact they didn't see the big flourescent camera backs this up. 

I went on one in 2011, within my first two years of driving. Was an insightful course and quite useful and have never been prosecuted since - I now only exceed the speed limit when I have to. 

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

I went on one in 2011, within my first two years of driving. Was an insightful course and quite useful and have never been prosecuted since - I now only exceed the speed limit when I have to. 

When you have to?

I'm not aware of any such requirement. 

13 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

Not sure if this is what he meant, but he is a policeman in fairness.

I never speed honest sir 

Oh, right. 

I didn't know he is Old Bill. 

I thought it was going to be a lecture but it actually turned out to be bizarrely the opposite. The people running it genuinely didn't want us to be caught speeding again and told us all the places in the future where mobile speed traps might be planned. 

On 2017-5-15 at 14:50, DB11 said:

lol

46 minutes ago, Royston. said:

They only offer these courses if it's your first offence but if your offence expires and your license is clean will you be offered the course again?

Its not just for your first offence. I got offered the course after my 3rd. Its all down to how quick you accept the charge and how long its been since you previously did the course.

If your offence has expired then I would say you would be able to take the course again. As soon as you receive the letter you may be offered the course if you accept the charge immediately. (This is my experience with it anyway)

I got a ticket a couple of years ago and the letter said I would not get the points if I attended the course.

So I signed up for the course.

Then I moved, and told DVLA, then moved again, and again, and again (think that is the right number of moves).

I never heard anything more about the course, and didn't get the points either, so I still have a clean licence.

Didn't get any points either the last time I was flashed by a speed camera, about 15 years ago.

I was on a bicycle, so there was nothing that PC Plod could do about it.

Nice Italian job, 35mph in a 30mph zone can be reached without you even thinking about it.

Was probably going faster on the bike than I was when I was flashed in Bath sitting in my Skoda!

On 17/05/2017 at 12:58, kingcarr21 said:

Its not just for your first offence. I got offered the course after my 3rd. Its all down to how quick you accept the charge and how long its been since you previously did the course.

If your offence has expired then I would say you would be able to take the course again. As soon as you receive the letter you may be offered the course if you accept the charge immediately. (This is my experience with it anyway)

It's every three years now. As in, you can only do one course every three years. If you get caught within the three years you get the points and no course option. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Nabbed doing 84 in a 70 (M5 motorway near Bristol, late on a Friday night), applied for the speed awareness course, waiting to hear back. I hope it's a valuable experience.

I got done doing 83 in a 70. The speed awareness course was ok. The people on it not so much.

The two year probationary period new drivers have now is a good idea. I passed about three years ago, and the first two years you really have to watch your speed as you can't afford any points. I do feel like I've carried that on into my driving.

29 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Nabbed doing 84 in a 70 (M5 motorway near Bristol, late on a Friday night), applied for the speed awareness course, waiting to hear back. I hope it's a valuable experience.

Better then 3 points.

Did mine nearly 3 years ago, so thankfully I can go back to speeding again......only kidding

5 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I got done doing 83 in a 70. The speed awareness course was ok. The people on it not so much.

I thought as much; so I just paid the fine. 70 in a 60 where a dual carriageway merges into single lane and the tax collectors...sorry I meant road safety officers were strategically hiding.. sorry I meant optimally placed at an accident black spot due to cars slamming their brakes at high speed to avoid a fine.

18 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Yeah all the people on these courses wear grey trackless, swig carling cold and have a 40 a day habit with kids named Mercedes, Porsche and Bugatti.

sub human scum

man needs some new mates, gon be spending the rest of my days speeding

Archived