Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lester.14

Would you score?

was having this convo with a pal and we both had very different ideas on what would happen..

... imagine you were given the chance to be a premier league striker (for any team), you played every game for 90 minutes, over a 38 game season, how many goals do you think you would get?

I reckon that I'd score 1, maybe 2 for a top team, but none for a team placed below about 7th.

A top team creates many more chances. As they're better teams with better individual players, opposing defenders would get pulled around the pitch more, creating openings even for a novice striker - and they'd be better at setting up chances for me.

Given a number of chances over a season, I'd miss most of them or hit them too close to the keeper....but I reckon 1 or 2 would end up in the net, maybe a tap-in and one freak shot hit just in the corner.

Mind you, if I found the secret to eternal life and spent eternity playing for that Middlebrough side, I'd still never score. :D

Guest MattP

Before answering this question people should remember our second striker, in the prime of his career scored 5 for the Champions.

i personally think maybe 1 or 2 goals, bound to take at least 1 chance over 38 games for a top side. 

i would defo be dropped after the first game, but if i was guaranteed 90 minutes every game, im bound to get lucky eventually!

Today i'd pull a muscle the first game and any game thereafter.

But, as a kid I'd have backed myself for 8-10 goals minimum, given the service you'd get,  and would have made plenty without a doubt.

I was a decent goal sniffer and, as for making goals, with the sort of runs being made by top players, supplying a final pass would be no problem even with limited opportunity to find time and space.

With full-time training and a good coach/mentor I'd have evolved a better attitude and made a decent professional as opposed to a part-time player and manager.

It didn't help attending a rugby-playing senior school and joining a newspaper at 16.

In the end becoming a squash professional fitted in better.   

If I pulled off my best Carlos Kaiser impression (which would be plan A), 0.

Otherwise I'd basically just play like Superpippo and hope my team created shitloads of chances. Toepoke my way to "offside" double figures? Gwon then.

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

20 - 30, you'd most likely convert 1 in 4 chances, against the top teams you'd get 2 - 3 chances in a match whearas against lesser teams you'd get 4 - 5 chances!

So you think any bloke off the street would score as many as Kane? lol 

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

20 - 30, you'd most likely convert 1 in 4 chances, against the top teams you'd get 2 - 3 chances in a match whearas against lesser teams you'd get 4 - 5 chances!

ha ha! 30 goals would put you amongst the eilte goalscorers!

I scored one goal for my school team & it was with my knee.  A rocket.  The goalie didn't stand a chance.

I'm even worse at football now than I was then.

No goals from me.  I'd probably be sick if I had to run more than 50 yards.

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

Today i'd pull a muscle the first game and any game thereafter.

But, as a kid I'd have backed myself for 8-10 goals minimum, given the service you'd get,  and would have made plenty without a doubt.

I was a decent goal sniffer and, as for making goals, with the sort of runs being made by top players, supplying a final pass would be no problem even with limited opportunity to find time and space.

With full-time training and a good coach/mentor I'd have evolved a better attitude and made a decent professional as opposed to a part-time player and manager.

It didn't help attending a rugby-playing senior school and joining a newspaper at 16.

In the end becoming a squash professional fitted in better.   

What level did you play at? (Football, not squash)

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

What level did you play at? (Football, not squash)

Not as high as I wanted.

Semi-professional clubs from the age of 15-24ish in the then Southern League/West Midlands League  (player and player/manager) , Midland League and Eastern Counties League against the likes of Scunthorpe Reserves, Grimsby, Hereford and Wolves Reserves.

Scored at Hereford and enjoyed making a goal  for Bill Garner (later, ex-Chelsea striker) at Grimsby. Trained at Leicester and co-wrote a book about Peterborough United before starting to play squash seriously.       

Archived