Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

GIMME MOR

GIMME MOR 

Wes Morgan urges Leicester chiefs to cough up money to keep stars including Riyad Mahrez this summer

Foxes face a mass exodus as rivals line up to poach best players and captain feels owners must dig deep for new wages

WES MORGAN has told Leicester chiefs: Pay up or risk a summer exodus.

Winger Riyad Mahrez rocked the Foxes with a midweek transfer request — and Arsenal and Marseille are keen on the Algerian

And skipper Morgan hinted Mahrez, 26, could be the start of a series of departures unless the deposed champions stump up the cash.

Despite winning the title in 2016 and reaching the Champions League quarter-finals this year, Leicester were still the eighth worst payers in the Prem.

Morgan, 33, said: “When you’re talking about the core of our team, they would be very difficult to replace. We’ve been together for a long time.

“But nothing stays the same for ever and I understand that everyone has ambitions. It’s up to Leicester to try to match those ambitions. For me it’s difficult to hear Riyad wants to leave.

“We’ve shared some great experiences and he was a big part of the team that won the Premier League and pulled off the impossible. Maybe Riyad has had a taste of the glory and what’s possible and he wants more of it, which you can understand.

“Whatever happens, I would wish them all the best. But hopefully they will stay.”

Craig Shakespeare is set to be named as full-time boss after lifting the Foxes out of relegation danger following the sacking of title-winning chief Claudio Ranieri in February.

But Morgan admitted the squad was bruised by the backlash they suffered following  Ranieri’s axing. He told ESPN FC: “Some fans turned against us, lots of pundits, it was difficult.

“But it gave us a point to prove. In the Liverpool game straight after, we were damned if we did, damned if we didn’t.

“If we had lost that game then people would have said Claudio should have stayed. But when we won, it was, ‘Why couldn’t you do that in the first place?’. It felt to me like that was an angry performance. It ended up being the turning point for us.”

But Morgan feels Shakespeare needs to be given extra funds to rejuvenate the squad.

He added: “We need to recruit in the majority of positions. If you look at the ages of our back four, we’re all above 30.”

hahahha lets throw more money at a player that doesnt perform and want to be here, If wes said that then his a bellend

Leicester were still the eighth worst payers in the Prem.

Or 12th best best 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3711660/wes-morgan-leicester-riyad-mahrez-contract-transfer-news/

Sorry, maybe i'm missing something, but where's the actual quote in the article that supports the headline? :dry:

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

They were all more than happy to sign their big money 'long term' contracts last summer.

If they don't want to be here, good riddance. 

Don't bang your vagina on the way out.

Men don't have vaginas. 

Forget the headline, it's actually quite encouraging to hear Wes talking about the need to recruit, particularly in defence where he acknowledges that age (including his own) is a problem. 

It is reported that Mahrez is currently paid over £100k per week. My question is, based on the season just ended,is he really worth that sort of money?  

I agree with the policy of many managers of top professional football clubs & that is not to keep an unhappy player at the club. Let him leave provided the club receives a realistic value for the transfer of the player. Surely it is not a wise move to keep an unhappy player who may very well cause upset in the dressing room resulting in other players wanting away!

I therefore say let Mahrez go but provided it is on the clubs conditions. The money we would receive for him would allow us to buy a suitable replacement. Maybe we already have his replacement in Demari Gray?

10 minutes ago, bluebeau said:

It is reported that Mahrez is currently paid over £100k per week. My question is, based on the season just ended,is he really worth that sort of money?  

I agree with the policy of many managers of top professional football clubs & that is not to keep an unhappy player at the club. Let him leave provided the club receives a realistic value for the transfer of the player. Surely it is not a wise move to keep an unhappy player who may very well cause upset in the dressing room resulting in other players wanting away!

I therefore say let Mahrez go but provided it is on the clubs conditions. The money we would receive for him would allow us to buy a suitable replacement. Maybe we already have his replacement in Demari Gray?

We defiantly do not have a ready made replacement in Gray. He's done nothing to suggest he's good enough to start for us in the premier league. 

4 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

We defiantly do not have a ready made replacement in Gray. He's done nothing to suggest he's good enough to start for us in the premier league. 

Agree so far, but think we have to persist with him with starts for several matches to see if he can deliver on the early promise.

32 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Gray needs a few consecutive starts then he should be judged. Not judged on a few odd starts and substitutions.

Oh can you remind me what Mahrez did last season to guarantee a starting place every week.

Infact he had the highest fall of the whole squad. Prem player of the season to schlupp  in four months.

He's admitting the back four are getting on and need replacing by younger players less inclined to get injured. Some of these players will want to leave whether we pay what they want or not!

7 hours ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

It was difficult to prove otherwise sat on the bench. 

I said at during the season he should have been given more starts, particularly once we were 'safe' at Mahrez's expense  - on the basis he'd been so poor in the PL.

Lets refelect on what Mahrez produced in the PL - in open play, forgetting the penalties.

4 goals, 3 assists in the whole season. 

Gray 1 goal 3 assists in 1/4 of the game time.

For me shows why we need to freshen things up throughout. These players are living in 2015/16 and will be a long time after retirement. Support for a guy who was bang average last year based on now history. Your only as good as your last game in football. Leicesters last 38 league games were good enough to finish 12th. We are better than that. It's time the players stopped seemingly calling the shots. Back on your perch Wes please. Hopefully the new gaffer can get some discipline in there, some fresh faces and form a different team ethic.

Archived