Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

50 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

You also said you need a new striker. What do you think of Hirst?

I think Hirst tries his absolute best, but he isn't good enough (right now) to be our first striker. The lad works very hard for the team, but he gets overpowered and outsmarted by the opposing defenders. He still has a lot to learn, which isn't that strange for a 19 year old who is playing his first season with 'the big boys'.

The problem is that we haven't had a decent striker since the 2012-2013 season. Casagolda, Diedhiou and Kostovski have been here for a couple of years and have all failed miserably. The club really needs to get rid of these guys. We bought Sam Hendriks, who had a really good season in the Dutch second division last year, but he has a lot of difficulties with adapting to the Belgian playstyle. We have Daan Vekemans (youth player), but he has the same problem as George Hirst; too inexperienced and not strong enough (yet).

A new, experienced first striker could benefit Hirst . He could take George under his wing and show him the ropes. Hirst can still play a lot of minutes without the pressure of having to carry the offense

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

is it safe to say that Elliot Moore isnt good enough then? We've got some good players in our development squad, im sure they would benefit from a loan to you guys.  

I think that Sam Hughes and Josh Knight are both rated as brighter prospects than Moore.  

He certainly was well ahead of them when he moved to Belgium.

2 hours ago, Bonanza said:

3-2 defeat against Beerschot. Same story as every week: Personal mistakes leading to goals...

Your defence looks awful, unfortunately. A bad mixture of poor defenders and poor organisation which is especially surprising as I can say though we lacked attacking edge sometimes under Pearson, I thought he always managed to get a solid defence. Maybe you can pick up a couple better players in January?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrokenRecord said:

Your defence looks awful, unfortunately. A bad mixture of poor defenders and poor organisation which is especially surprising as I can say though we lacked attacking edge sometimes under Pearson, I thought he always managed to get a solid defence. Maybe you can pick up a couple better players in January?

We have been playing a lot better the last couple of weeks. Today's game wasn't that bad either as we created some good chances and played decent football. But we lack the necessary quality to be a real contender for the championship. Like a said before, 2 new experieced central defenders and a new experienced striker would be a big help for this team. So let's hope our recruitement staff have their eyes on some new players.

16 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Pretty honest assessment really. Tough season for you guys. Hope the play-offs will give you a bit more to cheer about even if you've started with two narrow defeats.

I'm hoping Nige will still be in charge come the end of the season. I'm planning a little weekend jaunt over to Leuven with a few friends and family in the hope of watching a game. Shame the league is so complicated and we're going to have to wait and hope that they quality for the Europa League qualification playoffs at the end of the 2nd phase of the season to see the fixtures!

56 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm hoping Nige will still be in charge come the end of the season. I'm planning a little weekend jaunt over to Leuven with a few friends and family in the hope of watching a game. Shame the league is so complicated and we're going to have to wait and hope that they quality for the Europa League qualification playoffs at the end of the 2nd phase of the season to see the fixtures!

Nigel is here to stay. What he did in Leicester gave him a lot of credit with King Power, so he will be given the time to work his magic here in Leuven. 

Edited by Bonanza
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Nigel is here to stay. What he did in Leicester gave him a lot of credit with King Power, so he will be given the time to work his magic here in Leuven. 

Am I right in thinking there's a Europa League qualification playoffs mini league at the end of the season?

If so, how likely is it that Leuven will be involved and what date does it usually run until?

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Am I right in thinking there's a Europa League qualification playoffs mini league at the end of the season?

If so, how likely is it that Leuven will be involved and what date does it usually run until?

You are right about that and I will TRY to explain.

Our league (second division) consist of 2 periods. The 8 teams plays each other 4 times: twice in period 1, twice in period 2. The winners of each period play each other in 2 games for the championship and for promotion to the 1st division. If you win the championship, your season is over and you won't be able to qualify for the Europa League.

At the end of the season an overall standings (both periods combined) is made.

The 2nd, 3th an 4th placed teams are qualified for Playoff 2. I will explain this system later.

The 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th placed teams of the overall standings play Playoff 3. The points you scored are cut in half, so if you had 30 point in the overall standings you now have 15. The 4 teams play each other 2 times. The team that finishes last in PO3 are relegated, the other teams are safe.

Now for the 1st division: The 16 teams play each other 2 times. At the end of the season the 1st, 2nd, 3th, 4th, 5th and 6th placed teams play Play-off 1. Their total points are also cut in half. They play each other 2 times. The team that wins PO1 wins the championship and they are qualified for the Champions League's group stage. The team that comes in second is qualified for the third qualifying round of the CL. The 3th placed team is qualified for the last qualifying round of the Europa League, the 4th placed team is qualified for the 3 qualifying round of the EL. The 5th placed team has to face the winner of Playoff 2 to qualify for the second qualifying round of the EL. For the 6th placed team the season is over.

Meanwhile the 7th to 15th placed teams of the regular season play Playoff 2 with the 2nd, 3th and 4th placed teams of second division. The teams are placed in 2 groups (A & B) and play each other 2 times. In this group stage all teams start with 0 points. The winners of both groups play each other in 1 game. The winner of this game plays the 5th placed team of PO1. The winner of this game is qualified for the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

The 16th placed team of 1st division is automaticlly relegated. They don't play in any of the playoffs.

At this moment this is the overall standings in second division:

1. KV Mechelen 34 points

2. Beerschot 30 points

3. Union 28 points

4. Lommel 22 points*

5. Westerlo 20 points

6. OHL 15 points*

7. Roeselare 14 points

8. Tubeke 12points

Lommel and OHL have a game in hand. This game was postponed due to the death of Khun Vichai and will be played on december 4. This game is part of the first period, which is already won by KV Mechelen, but is still important for the overall standings. We still can qualify for PO2 but we have to start winning games!

The playoffs will be played from the last weekend of March to the last weekend of May.

Believe it or not, this is the easiest way to explain this system :D. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to explain.

Edited by Bonanza
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

You are right about that and I will TRY to explain.

Our league (second division) consist of 2 periods. The 8 teams plays each other 4 times: twice in period 1, twice in period 2. The winners of each period play each other in 2 games for the championship and for promotion to the 1st division. If you win the championship, your season is over and you won't be able to qualify for the Europa League.

At the end of the season an overall standings (both periods combined) is made.

The 2nd, 3th an 4th placed teams are qualified for Playoff 2. I will explain this system later.

The 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th placed teams of the overall standings play Playoff 3. The points you scored are cut in half, so if you had 30 point in the overall standings you now have 15. The 4 teams play each other 2 times. The team that finishes last in PO3 are relegated, the other teams are safe.

Now for the 1st division: The 16 teams play each other 2 times. At the end of the season the 1st, 2nd, 3th, 4th, 5th and 6th placed teams play Play-off 1. Their total points are also cut in half. They play each other 2 times. The team that wins PO1 wins the championship and they are qualified for the Champions League's group stage. The team that comes in second is qualified for the third qualifying round of the CL. The 3th placed team is qualified for the last qualifying round of the Europa League, the 4th placed team is qualified for the 3 qualifying round of the EL. The 5th placed team has to face the winner of Playoff 2 to qualify for the second qualifying round of the EL. For the 6th placed team the season is over.

Meanwhile the 7th to 15th placed teams of the regular season play Playoff 2 with the 2nd, 3th and 4th placed teams of second division. The teams are placed in 2 groups (A & B) and play each other 2 times. In this group stage all teams start with 0 points. The winners of both groups play each other in 1 game. The winner of this game plays the 5th placed team of PO1. The winner of this game is qualified for the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

The 16th placed team of 1st division is automaticlly relegated. They don't play in any of the playoffs.

At this moment this is the overall standings in second division:

1. KV Mechelen 34 points

2. Beerschot 30 points

3. Union 28 points

4. Lommel 22 points*

5. Westerlo 20 points

6. OHL 15 points*

7. Roeselare 14 points

8. Tubeke 12points

Lommel and OHL have a game in hand. This game was postponed due to the death of Khun Vichai and will be played on december 4. This game is part of the first period, which is already won by KV Mechelen, but is still important for the overall standings. We still can qualify for PO2 but we have to start winning games!

The playoffs will be played from the last weekend of March to the last weekend of May.

Believe it or not, this is the easiest way to explain this system :D. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to explain.

So long story short, no matter where they finish in the overall standings from the 2 league phases, they will continue playing into May?

41 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

So long story short, no matter where they finish in the overall standings from the 2 league phases, they will continue playing into May?

I'm not completely sure, as the schedule/dates for the playoffs are not out yet.

Last season Playoff 3 ended on April 29. The group stage of Playoff 2 ended on May 19, the semi final was on May 23, the final was on May 27.

I don't think this will change dramatically, so we will be playing until the end of April at least.

Edited by Bonanza

48 minutes ago, Stella said:

Kaputska, excellent player and important for the team, Moore still strugling to find his good form of last season but he’s getting there. Hirst is a disaster, simply not good enough...

22 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Sad that Hirst is not making more of an impact 

Funny thing is that Kapustka was an absolute disaster here too. He’s only 21 though so I’m glad to see him playing well. Hirst is only 19 and has plenty of time to develop. I believe he’s at the right place to do so at the minute, under Uncle Nigel. I’m not sure where Moore lies within our plans to be honest.