Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

1 hour ago, Lizhang said:

Please disregard this guy's posts regarding the matter. I've tried explaining numerous times how things have transpired at Leuven, talked about the historical context, how the Belgian leagues can not be compared to those of a much bigger country (there are currently teams of villages with a population of 19.000 in our top division), yet he continues to see himself as some sort of authority on the subject, and even repeatedly goes to such lengths as to twist reality based on numbers taken out of context. I've tried to explain this to him directly, apparently this has all been in vain. And now we (Leuven fans) apparently are all whiny (xenophobe) spoiled brats that can't show any gratitude for the way our club is being run into the ground.

I'll speak up all I want, cheers. Just as you can if you so choose. You keep explaining things, that's true, but my points are actually factual as opposed to outbursts of pride which aren't easily backed up by evidence. You're welcome to debate what I've said, of course.

Now maybe yours is the world's only league where fans walking out in protest helps them achieve positive results, or where one promotion (ever) counts as being a sleeping giant / yo-yo club, or where going from bottom but one to top but one is a bad thing which is worth protesting about, or even where coaching staff and board members who don't support the manager or the new regime are the good guys. If that's the case, it's just as well you cleared that up because it's pretty big news.

The facts speak for themselves. Your side isn't historically a yo-yo club, nothing in its history or the history of the clubs it's made up of, or its attendances, indicates that it has a right to be at the highest level, which you seem to think. You would have preferred a local manager and local owners, as you've said many times. Five of your past six managers lasted for the same or a shorter time than Pearson (8 of your last 9 if you wish to extend it). The protests started after three games, as a quick glance at your posts and a few newspaper articles indicates, when you were just three points off top.

Perhaps you were right to do that and being so ambitious and demanding will lead you to the promised land, with a good Belgian boss in charge. Perhaps King Power and NP have done little to advance your cause. Perhaps the considerably lower level of football has fooled Pearson, or he's lost the fire in his belly (he's clearly got some things wrong, that's unavoidable). If it's a case of you seeing the writing on the wall when results were still positive then I salute you for it.

But Pearson has managed at all four levels of English football, been a great manager for us in spite of some obvious flaws, the owners have also advanced our cause hugely, so when things go wrong you'll have to forgive some of us for looking at what's happened and asking ourselves 'is there any reason why a manager at that specific club might find it tough to meet fans' expectations?' And it still looks like there are a good few.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

To play devils advocate here and try to put all the tooing and frowing between yourself and @Lizhanginto a little more perspective.

A couple of points spring to mind. 

1. How many of the OHL games have you been to or at least watched in full? 
  2. Is your love for Pearson and his time at Leicester, slightly clouding your judgement?
  3. How would you feel if some supporter kept harping on about a manager who was good for their club but was totally sucking the life out of LCFC?

I dont want to cause any arguments, and this is all based on my opinion, but Lizhang is posting in the way he sees it, week in and week out and is giving explanations (in a second language) of his league and his club. 

I don't think any of what he has posted has been out of order and is born from frustration about being bottom of the league. I know 100% i would be feeling exactly the same and to be honest would not be as civill or have held the restraints as he has. 

Now i know i've quoted your good self and i'm not saying you have done all of the above but to be fair you have mentioned how Pearson did for us many many times and tbh that was in the past and yes he was a great manager for us but he isn't doing it NOW. 

Its all good and well saying 'give him time' but its been a year and they are bottom of the league. I would love to be able to stream these games so i could have more of a reasoned perspective in this thread but sadly i can never find any. If you can i would be grateful for a pm.

Again and just to reiterate, i'm not trying for an argument, just my opinion and hoping to put a little perspective in the debate. 

Very well put and very diplomatic ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rn9013 said:

Out of interest, does anyone know where you can purchase an OH Leuven shirt? I know they sometimes sell them in the LCFC  fan store but they don’t seem to be available online. 

LCFC fan store in person there are quite a few different things you can grab!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

LCFC fan store in person there are quite a few different things you can grab!

Cool. Thanks for that. I might have to give them a ring then as I don’t live in Leicester  to collect. I assume the fan store takes orders over the phone too. 

Just now, rn9013 said:

Cool. Thanks for that. I might have to give them a ring then as I don’t live in Leicester  to collect. I assume the fan store takes orders over the phone too. 

Sure if you ring up and explain and ask if stuff will be put on the website they'll be able to help you out! 

4 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

To play devils advocate here and try to put all the tooing and frowing between yourself and @Lizhanginto a little more perspective.

2. Is your love for Pearson and his time at Leicester, slightly clouding your judgement?
  3. How would you feel if some supporter kept harping on about a manager who was good for their club but was totally sucking the life out of LCFC?

I dont want to cause any arguments, and this is all based on my opinion, but Lizhang is posting in the way he sees it, week in and week out and is giving explanations (in a second language) of his league and his club. 

I don't think any of what he has posted has been out of order and is born from frustration about being bottom of the league. I know 100% i would be feeling exactly the same and to be honest would not be as civill or have held the restraints as he has. 

Now i know i've quoted your good self and i'm not saying you have done all of the above but to be fair you have mentioned how Pearson did for us many many times and tbh that was in the past and yes he was a great manager for us but he isn't doing it NOW. 

Its all good and well saying 'give him time' but its been a year and they are bottom of the league. I would love to be able to stream these games so i could have more of a reasoned perspective in this thread but sadly i can never find any. If you can i would be grateful for a pm.

Again and just to reiterate, i'm not trying for an argument, just my opinion and hoping to put a little perspective in the debate. 

In response to your questions, you already know the answer to (1) and (2) perfectly well, and I'd fully expect a thread on a Leicester City forum - in reference to any other club - to be from a City fan's perspective.

If we can't voice an opinion about the goings-on at another club that I've seen a handful of times, then we'll end up substantially limiting the discussion. I've seen lots of opinions on Derby, Forest, Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves - and lots of European clubs - where the people making the comments won't have seen much of that team. Lizhang voiced plenty of his/her opinions on City, how we unjustly fired Ranieri etc. And, just as his opinions are from the perspective of a Leuven fan, mine will always be from the point of view of a Leicester fan who's forming an opinion based on whatever information there is available. So I'll make no apologies for that, because it's the nature of commenting on anything which isn't Leicester City. And, just because I'm watching from a distance, it doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong.

But yes, my appreciation of Pearson is obviously greater as a result of being a Leicester fan than, say, if I was a Leuven fan. It's a Leicester forum and I'd have thought it was a given that posts were largely Leicester fans writing from the perspective of Leicester fans. We do the same when fans of any other club come on here and, seeing as I'm not a Leuven fan, I don't see why they should be any different. 

All I've pointed out is that when someone who is often successful suffers failure, you naturally look to see if there are any other factors which might be responsible, apart from him simply not being right for the job. That doesn't mean that Pearson is the right man for the Leuven job, it simply means that you have to look to see if there's anything else going on.

And there is. 8 of their last 9 managers were gone in the same, a shorter length of time than Pearson has been there. There was a significant improvement in league position over the course of KP's season in charge, and yet people were hugely unhappy after a couple of games this season. There have been complaints of some people not pulling in the same direction as everyone else, people connected to the old regime. There's a widespread uncertainty about having foreign owners and a foreign manager, whether that's xenophobia or merely a community wanting to retain a voice in their club. I'm simply stating the plain truth that it's not be the easiest job on the planet, and voicing the opinion that expectations at Leuven have been a little lofty, and that the opposition to King Power might not be helping.

I don't see how watching more Leuven games would impact on these observations, they just seem like fairly straightforward points to make. I'd never dream of questioning a Leuven fan's knowledge of their own team because I know very little about them. The owners and the manager, of course, we know better.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

You are looking at a ban here talking sense in an eloquent and diplomatic manner.   Only yourself to blame:ph34r:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, inckley fox said:

In response to your questions, you already know the answer to (1) and (2) perfectly well, and I'd fully expect a thread on a Leicester City forum - in reference to any other club - to be from a City fan's perspective.

If we can't voice an opinion about the goings-on at another club that I've seen a handful of times, then we'll end up substantially limiting the discussion. I've seen lots of opinions on Derby, Forest, Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves - and lots of European clubs - where the people making the comments won't have seen much of that team. Lizhang voiced plenty of his/her opinions on City, how we unjustly fired Ranieri etc. And, just as his opinions are from the perspective of a Leuven fan, mine will always be from the point of view of a Leicester fan who's forming an opinion based on whatever information there is available. So I'll make no apologies for that, because it's the nature of commenting on anything which isn't Leicester City. And, just because I'm watching from a distance, it doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong.

But yes, my appreciation of Pearson is obviously greater as a result of being a Leicester fan than, say, if I was a Leuven fan. It's a Leicester forum and I'd have thought it was a given that posts were largely Leicester fans writing from the perspective of Leicester fans. We do the same when fans of any other club come on here and, seeing as I'm not a Leuven fan, I don't see why they should be any different. 

All I've pointed out is that when someone who is often successful suffers failure, you naturally look to see if there are any other factors which might be responsible, apart from him simply not being right for the job. That doesn't mean that Pearson is the right man for the Leuven job, it simply means that you have to look to see if there's anything else going on.

And there is. 8 of their last 9 managers were gone in the same, a shorter length of time than Pearson has been there. There was a significant improvement in league position over the course of KP's season in charge, and yet people were hugely unhappy after a couple of games this season. There have been complaints of some people not pulling in the same direction as everyone else, people connected to the old regime. There's a widespread uncertainty about having foreign owners and a foreign manager, whether that's xenophobia or merely a community wanting to retain a voice in their club. I'm simply stating the plain truth that it's not be the easiest job on the planet, and voicing the opinion that expectations at Leuven have been a little lofty, and that the opposition to King Power might not be helping.

I don't see how watching more Leuven games would impact on these observations, they just seem like fairly straightforward points to make. I'd never dream of questioning a Leuven fan's knowledge of their own team because I know very little about them. The owners and the manager, of course, we know better.

I think there's a big problem in your calling Pearson someone who is often successful. Where exactly has he excelled that wasn't Leicester? He was by all accounts poor for Derby, seems awful for Leuven, I'm not sure about his stint at Hull, but I believe it was decent but not spectacular? Pearson worked wonders for us and was hugely successful - but that was with one single club, I don't think you can call him often successful based on his overall managerial career thusfar. No offence to Leuven, but there's a reason that he doesn't have a job in the Championship. One thing I don't quite understand is why you seem to think there HAS to be some other mitigating circumstance to explain why Pearson isn't doing well, whether that be fans complaining, backroom instability, or whatever else. I agree that these things can't exactly help, but there's no smoke without fire, and I think that there's a distinct blind defence of Pearson going on here that gets in the way of what are in my opinion pretty objectively terrible results and performances (though I also don't watch Leuven)

You're not wrong in some regards, the seat does seem to be a bit of a poisoned chalice if that is the current longevity of the most recent managers, but if you remember before Pearson took over in his second stint, we had a great turnover of managers as well. I remember Sousa being touted as some brilliant manager, and being excited for him to take charge, and then 9 or so games later, us being bottom of the league and Sousa being sacked. Maybe he would have come good if he'd have been given more time too, but that's the way football works - the results and performances weren't up to scratch, and so he was out. I'm sure fans of Swansea would have told us things about how good he was, as I think he got them playing pretty decent football (though my memory may of course be wrong!) but that meant nothing because he couldn't translate it to playing well and getting results with us.

I don't want to devalue your opinion, I just think you're not thinking about the situation at all from a perspective of someone who supports Leuven, which you don't have to be a fan of them to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Rorab said:

I think there's a big problem in your calling Pearson someone who is often successful. Where exactly has he excelled that wasn't Leicester? He was by all accounts poor for Derby, seems awful for Leuven, I'm not sure about his stint at Hull, but I believe it was decent but not spectacular? Pearson worked wonders for us and was hugely successful - but that was with one single club, I don't think you can call him often successful based on his overall managerial career thusfar. No offence to Leuven, but there's a reason that he doesn't have a job in the Championship. One thing I don't quite understand is why you seem to think there HAS to be some other mitigating circumstance to explain why Pearson isn't doing well, whether that be fans complaining, backroom instability, or whatever else. I agree that these things can't exactly help, but there's no smoke without fire, and I think that there's a distinct blind defence of Pearson going on here that gets in the way of what are in my opinion pretty objectively terrible results and performances (though I also don't watch Leuven)

You're not wrong in some regards, the seat does seem to be a bit of a poisoned chalice if that is the current longevity of the most recent managers, but if you remember before Pearson took over in his second stint, we had a great turnover of managers as well. I remember Sousa being touted as some brilliant manager, and being excited for him to take charge, and then 9 or so games later, us being bottom of the league and Sousa being sacked. Maybe he would have come good if he'd have been given more time too, but that's the way football works - the results and performances weren't up to scratch, and so he was out. I'm sure fans of Swansea would have told us things about how good he was, as I think he got them playing pretty decent football (though my memory may of course be wrong!) but that meant nothing because he couldn't translate it to playing well and getting results with us.

I don't want to devalue your opinion, I just think you're not thinking about the situation at all from a perspective of someone who supports Leuven, which you don't have to be a fan of them to do.

I take many of your points. Sorry in advance for those who hate the lengthy arguments, I tend to prefer one single big message than lots of little ones. My colleagues dread my Whatsapp messages.

The point I'm trying to make is that, with any club, you can make some observations which don't require you to watch many games, especially if you aren't commenting on the football and especially if the points you're making refer to management structure, the history of a club and results. In some of these areas - the ones that concern KP and NP - Leicester fans will have something to say, which is why this is on the Leicester forum rather than the General Football forum.

The points I've made are largely statements of fact about the level of support for Leuven, their turnover of managers, their standing before KP took over and at the end of last season, and how unusual it is to protest as early as they chose to. They don't even touch on my personal faith in King Power or Pearson. It's rather like when Hinckley United fans used to tell me that Dean Thomas was doing a lousy job because they weren't in the Conference Premier, when to an outsider there were obvious factors which made that difficult. I've got a view on Forest, Derby, many other clubs which I don't watch week in week out, and sometimes I debate these things with their fans. Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes I'm right.

However it'd be handy if people actually addressed some of these points - e.g. that huge turnover of managers at Leuven, the improvement in league finish from 2017 to 2018, the fact that contrary to what some of their fans claim they aren't a yo-yo club, the fact that sustained success (which they've never known) doesn't come overnight, the potential benefits of investment and ideas coming from overseas - rather than complaining about me daring to mention them. I don't need to watch a single Leuven game (though I have) for these things to remain true.

Some Leuven fans will certainly take a different view to Lizhang on these matters and, if they don't, maybe they should. Like Hinckley fans who thought they should have been in League Two by 2011.

On top of that, I fully expect people who aren't Leicester fans to have views on Leicester and I wouldn't get very far if I took the view that my say had to be final because I'm a Leicester fan and that's that. I often talk with fans of other sides who have a view on our owners, our managers and a whole lot more. Sometimes they make points about our signing policy, management recruitment etc. which I wouldn't agree with, and sometimes they're right (the appointment of Ranieri, the permanent appointment of Shakespeare, the signings of Slimani and Silva were all issues on which City fans were broadly in agreement, but some people told us otherwise and turned out to be right).

It's not right to say I've launched a blind defence of Pearson. As I've said, he may well be wrong for the job, and if you look a bit earlier in the thread you'll see I posted a lengthy criticism of the guy, probably lengthier and more detailed than anyone else on this thread. So that can't be an issue.

As for that point you make about whether Pearson is 'usually successful', I suppose you can look at it in two ways. One is the number of years he's been managing and how many of those have reached expectations, another is the number of appointments he's succeeded in. 

As for the latter, he met expectations (just about) at Carlisle and Southampton, to the point that fans were surprised at his exit. He easily met them in his first spell at Leicester (we can't view his spells as one single spell, because the expectations, owners and personnel were so different from one time to the next), laid good foundations at Hull (they were certainly disappointed when he left) and excelled in his second spell with Leicester. His spell at Derby was very brief and unsuccessful, and Leuven - it doesn't look good. That's seven appointments, two very successful, three largely successful, one - maybe two - that haven't worked out.

If you base it on years, then in 5.5 seasons with us he always improved on previous finishes, in 1.5 with Hull he was judged to do well, 0.5 with Southampton and his 0.5 with Carlisle were passable. Less so the 0.25 with Derby and 1.0 with Leuven, so the record is still largely successful (just over 9 years of management, 8 of which worked out).

But I wholly accept that he may well not be quite the same Pearson he was a few years back. And that he may not be right for Leuven. But I'll also defend my right to point out when Leicester fans' criticisms of Pearson, and Leuven fans' expectations of King Power and he are unrealistic. And if the issue here is that we need to be more critical of Pearson, or more diplomatic with fans of other sides on this forum when they proudly and inaccurately defend their clubs' track records (as a means of slating our owners and ex-boss), then maybe I've stumbled into the wrong forum.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
On 06/10/2018 at 01:01, Dan LCFC said:

I'm as big an endorser of Pearson and the job he did here as anybody but it's quite clear to see that this isn't working. He has turned it around here before but there are so many variables in the circumstances, especially given it's a league he doesn't know and he's without his usual trusted backroom team, that I can't see how we can confidently say he'll turn it around here. They're getting routinely hammered. They look a very good bet to go down under him at this rate.

I cannot believe a man who I attribute a large part of our Premier League title win is looking out of his depth in the 2nd tier of Belgium. What a truly extraordinary set of circumstances.

I think everything was right for him here, a job of clearing out the egos and replacing them, a brilliant scouting and sports science team and an assistant manager who clearly had a lot of influences, it might just not be the same for him now and in a different setting.

In a few of his recent interviews he's came across as pretty angry and upset at things, our title win with what was his team might have had a serious effect on him. 

Will always be a legend for what he achieved here but I'm finding it hard to see him being successful again in football.

Edited by MattP

49 minutes ago, MattP said:

I think everything was right for him here, a job of clearing out the egos and replacing them, a brilliant scouting and sports science team and an assistant manager who clearly had a lot of influences, it might just not be the same for him now and in a different setting.

In a few of his recent interviews he's came across as pretty angry and upset at things, our title win with what was his team might have had a serious effect on him. 

Will always be a legend for what he achieved here but I'm finding it hard to see him being successful again in football.

He's looking a bit of a one club wonder. He was the right fit for us. He was able to buy himself the time here because he'd gotten it right originally with us and we needed a similar job doing, albeit on a higher level the second time he was here. As shown at Derby he wasn't going to get that time elsewhere.

The point @Lizhang made about them having one of the two biggest budgets in the league, one where a manager with a bit of experience in Belgium could probably take them up, is quite important really, why wait so long for Pearson to get it right when they could get someone in who'd likely sort it in a year or two, especially when in a league like theirs it appears you really can't take that much time as there's nowhere near as many safe spots in the league as there is in the Championship.

It's a really baffling league system and I do think ours is better but it is what it is.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it's been said here but it was reported in Belgian press that Pearson was forced to play the Thai keeper a couple of weeks ago as King Power had arranged a visit of 50 Thai's. 

If that's true Pearson isn't the same bloke he was and he's simply had it as a manager. Particularly given his style. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 15:15, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don't know whether it's been said here but it was reported in Belgian press that Pearson was forced to play the Thai keeper a couple of weeks ago as King Power had arranged a visit of 50 Thai's. 

If that's true Pearson isn't the same bloke he was and he's simply had it as a manager. Particularly given his style. 

You have to feel for their fans if this is the case.

55 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

How’s Pearson meant to succeed when he’s surrounded by corruption? Knew there was more to it!

Pearson in!

Sabateurs, corrupters and Nigel Pearson: the unconventional football film coming to your screens this winter. (Subtitle: One man and his ostrich against a corrupt Belgian establishment)

• Haha 1