Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

You'd be much better off with a Belgian, imo.

Pearson was a half-decent appointment for you at the time because he had a history of building up clubs from poor positions and laying some strong foundations. Appleton... doesn't. He's more of a coach than a manager, imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Xen said:

Pearson was a half-decent appointment for you at the time because he had a history of building up clubs from poor positions and laying some strong foundations. Appleton... doesn't. He's more of a coach than a manager, imo.

Appleton did a very good job at Oxford rebuilding. But I wouldn't have him down for being a success in Leuven. 

2 hours ago, Bonanza said:

According to Belgian newspaper 'Het Nieuwsblad' Michael Appleton is one of the candidates to become manager at Leuven.

Any info on this guy??

He was assitant here and stepped in as caretaker for a very short period between Shakespeare and Puel. he did ok and has a sound reputation as a coach but it really looks like you need someone who knows the local football scene and doesn't need time to bed in.

How much is there a langauge issue at the club?

1 hour ago, reynard said:

He was assitant here and stepped in as caretaker for a very short period between Shakespeare and Puel. he did ok and has a sound reputation as a coach but it really looks like you need someone who knows the local football scene and doesn't need time to bed in.

How much is there a langauge issue at the club?

Rumour has it there were some issues. Pearson only spoke English, which created some problems with the French speaking players who couldn't understand any English. Our assistent-manager speaks French so I imagine he translated everything, but it was an other reason why things didn't work out for Pearson in Leuven.

By appointing a Belgian manager this problem would be solved.

Edited by Bonanza

7 hours ago, Xen said:

Surely Appleton’s too good for them? No offence intended. He was linked with some pretty decent jobs and is waiting for the right opportunity, can’t imagine that’s a 2nd tier Belgian side fighting relegation.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Vercauteren is one of the candidates according to Belgian media. To be honest, he's my favorite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franky_Vercauteren

I hope he gets the job, his CV is impressive. Won the promotion with Brugge recently, what more could you ask. The guy not only did it there already but also is native, speaks the language. I think you need to have someone speaking the language now, after Person, to fix the relations between board and the supporters (and obviously express his ideas to the players properly etc). Appleton was a caretaker manager for Leicester for TWO GAMES all... I'd like him to become a proper manager someday, and hopefully a successful one, but I don't think OHL of all places should be his proving ground. 

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I hope he gets the job, his CV is impressive. Won the promotion with Brugge recently, what more could you ask. The guy not only did it there already but also is native, speaks the language. I think you need to have someone speaking the language now, after Person, to fix the relations between board and the supporters (and obviously express his ideas to the players properly etc). Appleton was a caretaker manager for Leicester for TWO GAMES all... I'd like him to become a proper manager someday, and hopefully a successful one, but I don't think OHL of all places should be his proving ground. 

So you’re completely ignoring the fantastic job he did at Oxford? 

He was the leading candidate for the Weat Brom job last year and would have got it if Moore hadn’t done as well as he did 

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

So you’re completely ignoring the fantastic job he did at Oxford

He was the leading candidate for the Weat Brom job last year and would have got it if Moore hadn’t done as well as he did 

He did amazing job at Oxford but that was League Two and League One, the West Brom link was most likely because he was their player in the past (and later a caretaker for one game).

I think he should take any opportunity at this point, but it's hard to imagine Championship clubs fighting for his appointment. He's not yet proven at this level, he only had one year Championship stint at Portsmouth if I'm not mistaken and got them relegated. Let's face it compared to Pearson he's completely green. Not his fault, he's still young and has the whole managerial career ahead of him, hopefully, not past him.

As for the OHL job, it could be a trap for a manager like him. Super-experienced 'proven' Pearson proved to be a disaster. A foreign country, wholly different league system and now the pressure is mounting, at this point in the season with so much at stake they shouldn't sign a manager who is unfamiliar with realities of Belgium football. You have all the money you need, a good capable squad and literally zero excuses as a manager at OHL. Nothing in Apples' cv tells me he would do what Pearson couldn't. It would be a gamble, a gamble they can't really afford. And for Apples personally it wouldnt be the wisest career move. If a young manager like him got relegated to the lower 'half-amateur' division, it would be a big stinking stain on his cv.

I think maybe managing OHL is a bit tougher job than we all think. In Apples' best interest IMO would be to wait for ANY League One/Championship opportunity. In OHL's best interest would be to appoint a proven native manager.

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

He did amazing job at Oxford but that was League Two and League One, the West Brom link was most likely because he was their player in the past (and later a caretaker for one game).

I think he should take any opportunity at this point, but it's hard to imagine Championship clubs fighting for his appointment. He's not yet proven at this level, he only had one year Championship stint at Portsmouth if I'm not mistaken and got them relegated. Let's face it compared to Pearson he's completely green. Not his fault, he's still young and has the whole managerial career ahead of him, hopefully, not past him.

As for the OHL job, it could be a trap for a manager like him. Super-experienced 'proven' Pearson proved to be a disaster. A foreign country, wholly different league system and now the pressure is mounting, at this point in the season with so much at stake they shouldn't sign a manager who is unfamiliar with realities of Belgium football. You have all the money you need, a good capable squad and literally zero excuses as a manager at OHL. Nothing in Apples' cv tells me he would do what Pearson couldn't. It would be a gamble, a gamble they can't really afford. And for Apples personally it wouldnt be the wisest career move. If a young manager like him got relegated to the lower 'half-amateur' division, it would be a big stinking stain on his cv.

I think maybe managing OHL is a bit tougher job than we all think. In Apples' best interest IMO would be to wait for ANY League One/Championship opportunity. In OHL's best interest would be to appoint a proven native manager.

Agree. For his own sake I think this would be one to avoid at this stage in his career. Best get someone who speaks the lingo and has Belgian experience.

Seems obvious that they need a local who understands the league and the style.

Pearson was a gamble that failed and failed in a big way, if OHL are relegated it would be the equivalent of Man City being relegated next year. OHL were the richest club, not afraid of spending and with ambitions of wining the league. Its been fvcked up in a big way and the only real hope is someone who knows the players and styles and tactics of the league.

I hope the new manager bounce gets them through the playdowns and they can start again.

9 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Agree. For his own sake I think this would be one to avoid at this stage in his career. Best get someone who speaks the lingo and has Belgian experience.

It's not just that, with Pearson only fresh in mind, shoving another British manager down the fans' throat might not be the best of ideas. :)

To have 2 decent managers interested in taking over it means either that Leuven have a good chance of not being relegated or the wages are excellent for Belgium football.

10 minutes ago, FIF said:

To have 2 decent managers interested in taking over it means either that Leuven have a good chance of not being relegated or the wages are excellent for Belgium football.

As a recent article on a prominent Belgian sports website said: The position at OHL is a blessing for whoever gets to take over: Great infrastructure, solid fanbase and a very good and experienced squad of players.

1 minute ago, KlaaZ said:

As a recent article on a prominent Belgian sports website said: The position at OHL is a blessing for whoever gets to take over: Great infrastructure, solid fanbase and a very good and experienced squad of players.

And amateur football?

... this would be a very good audition for Appleton....Top and the board seem very limited in their knowledge of football globally, and seems to place a lot of faith in the people they know hence the Pearson appointment. 

I would like to see Appleton back in management but perhaps this is not the job for someone not clued up on football in Belgium. 

Prior to Appleton's appointment at Leicester, a journalist covering Oxford FC, gave him a glowing reference and what I heard which stayed with me was that even players who he released from Oxford do not have a bad word to say about him. Definitely a man manager and someone the players can buy into. 

Do not be surprised if the board choose Appleton...... 

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... this would be a very good audition for Appleton....Top and the board seem very limited in their knowledge of football globally, and seems to place a lot of faith in the people they know hence the Pearson appointment. 

I would like to see Appleton back in management but perhaps this is not the job for someone not clued up on football in Belgium. 

Prior to Appleton's appointment at Leicester, a journalist covering Oxford FC, gave him a glowing reference and what I heard which stayed with me was that even players who he released from Oxford do not have a bad word to say about him. Definitely a man manager and someone the players can buy into. 

Do not be surprised if the board choose Appleton...... 

If they fancy a riot, then by all means, they should go for it.

They have proven to be absolutely clueless when it comes to assessing the Belgian leagues and what type of manager we need. Maybe it's a good time learn their place and back the fck off. They had their chance appointing Pearson (while the previous coach wasn't doing a worse job than Pearson's best stint at OHL) and by keeping him onboard this long while everybody knew he should have been sacked ages ago. I think it's time to let somebody step in, that knows Belgian football and can get results immediately. There is no margin for error this time, no easing in. And they only have themselves to blame for that.

Edited by Lizhang

No decision's made tonight.

According to journalist Dave Peters, Vercauteren is the top candidate but it seems that the negotiations are pretty tough.

If Vercauteren declines, it will either be Appleton or Yannick Ferrera.

• Thanks 2