Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

40 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I really hope for you guys' sake that the appointment is a good one. By which I mean not an English one.

Surely there is no rule, law or reason why an English coach couldn't be successful at OHL. But at the moment, with the situation being what it is, i would really not want to "experiment" anymore, and just go for a coach that knows the league and the players. Not one that has to settle in, do lots of homework, before being able to get results. We need a guy that can deliver in a few weeks time. So it doesn't make sense, especially considering how much trouble Pearson had, to make the same mistake twice and take a manager that has no idea what he's getting into.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lizhang said:

Surely there is no rule, law or reason why an English coach couldn't be successful at OHL. But at the moment, with the situation being what it is, i would really not want to "experiment" anymore, and just go for a coach that knows the league and the players. Not one that has to settle in, do lots of homework, before being able to get results. We need a guy that can deliver in a few weeks time. So it doesn't make sense, especially considering how much trouble Pearson had, to make the same mistake twice and take a manager that has no idea what he's getting into.

You need a Belgian equivalent of Big Sam

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think a manager who understands the Belgian leagues would be a better fit. 

This was what our owners realised when the Sven experiment didn't work for us, they went and got Pearson back. This Vercauteren seems exactly what they need, he's a proven winner in Belgium in both divisions.

• Like 2

Former Leicester City assistant installed as favourite to replace Neil Lennon at Hibernian
Lennon left Hibbs by mutual consent last week

ByJamie Kemble
18:02, 6 FEB 2019

Former Leicester caretaker Manager Michael Appleton reacts during the Premier League match between Swansea City City. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Former Leicester City assistant Michael Appleton has been installed as the favourite for the Hibernian job.

Hibbs have been without a boss since former City midfielder Neil Lennon left the club by mutual agreement.

And it seems another man with a Foxes connection could succeed him with three bookmakers installing Michael Appleton as favourite.

Bet Victor have Appleton at 10/11 while both Paddy Power and Sky Bet price him at 11/10 to be the next manager at Easter Road.

Former Barnsley and Leeds United boss Paul Heckingbottom is also in the running, along with Bristol City assistant Dean Holding.

Appleton has been out of work since leaving his coaching position with City last summer.

He spent exactly a year with the Foxes, joining as Crag Shakespeare's assistant manager before taking over as caretaker manager for two games, winning both games in charge.

He then became part of Claude Puel's coaching staff, but that lasted just eight months.

Appleton's experience does go well beyond Leicester City. He led Oxford United to automatic promotion from League Two in his second season in charge.

He also guided the U's to EFL Trophy finals in two consecutive seasons.

Reports in Belgium have also linked Appleton with the now vacant position at King Power-owned club Oud-Heverlee Leuven.

Former Leicester boss Nigel Pearson was recently sacked from his position with the Belgian club .

If Appleton does take over at Hibernian, then he will have a City player at his disposal with highly-rated defender Darnell Johnson on loan at Easter Road until the end of the season.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-leicester-city-assistant-installed-2516046

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

Former Leicester City assistant installed as favourite to replace Neil Lennon at Hibernian
Lennon left Hibbs by mutual consent last week

ByJamie Kemble
18:02, 6 FEB 2019

Former Leicester caretaker Manager Michael Appleton reacts during the Premier League match between Swansea City City. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Former Leicester City assistant Michael Appleton has been installed as the favourite for the Hibernian job.

Hibbs have been without a boss since former City midfielder Neil Lennon left the club by mutual agreement.

And it seems another man with a Foxes connection could succeed him with three bookmakers installing Michael Appleton as favourite.

Bet Victor have Appleton at 10/11 while both Paddy Power and Sky Bet price him at 11/10 to be the next manager at Easter Road.

Former Barnsley and Leeds United boss Paul Heckingbottom is also in the running, along with Bristol City assistant Dean Holding.

Appleton has been out of work since leaving his coaching position with City last summer.

He spent exactly a year with the Foxes, joining as Crag Shakespeare's assistant manager before taking over as caretaker manager for two games, winning both games in charge.

He then became part of Claude Puel's coaching staff, but that lasted just eight months.

Appleton's experience does go well beyond Leicester City. He led Oxford United to automatic promotion from League Two in his second season in charge.

He also guided the U's to EFL Trophy finals in two consecutive seasons.

Reports in Belgium have also linked Appleton with the now vacant position at King Power-owned club Oud-Heverlee Leuven.

Former Leicester boss Nigel Pearson was recently sacked from his position with the Belgian club .

If Appleton does take over at Hibernian, then he will have a City player at his disposal with highly-rated defender Darnell Johnson on loan at Easter Road until the end of the season.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-leicester-city-assistant-installed-2516046

Hibs sounds like a good fit for Appleton imo

https://www.ohleuven.com/nieuws/1049909/oudheverlee-leuven-stelt-coach-en-adviseur-voor

So it will be Vincent Euvrard, a young (but reportedly talented) coach, who has always been assistant to Vercauteren. Vercauteren himself will take on an advisory role regarding the football side of things. Possibly (and hopefully) that means he'll be our director of football and he'll replace the guy who brought in all the failed transfers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

https://www.ohleuven.com/nieuws/1049909/oudheverlee-leuven-stelt-coach-en-adviseur-voor

So it will be Vincent Euvrard, a young (but reportedly talented) coach, who has always been assistant to Vercauteren. Vercauteren himself will take on an advisory role regarding the football side of things. Possibly (and hopefully) that means he'll be our director of football and he'll replace the guy who brought in all the failed transfers.

So is this potentially good or not?

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

The general sentiment among the fans is good, although that also has to do with the relief after Pearson's sacking I reckon. I got some mixed feelings but all in all, we could've done far worse. My main doubt is whether or not he'll be able to deliver instantly.

2 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

The general sentiment among the fans is good, although that also has to do with the relief after Pearson's sacking I reckon. I got some mixed feelings but all in all, we could've done far worse. My main doubt is whether or not he'll be able to deliver instantly.

How many points from the remaining games do you think you will need to have a chance in the play downs? I presume there's no chance of escaping them.

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

How many points from the remaining games do you think you will need to have a chance in the play downs? I presume there's no chance of escaping them.

We're seven points away from a safe spot with four games to go so the chance of avoiding the playdowns is non-existent. Ideally, we would win our two home games and take at least a point from the away game at Tubize. I don't think we'll take anything from tomorrow's game at Mechelen considering their form throughout the entire season. Last game at home against Beerschot (who are still in the running for the second period and a place in the finals) won't be easy either.

If we can pick up 7/12, I don't think we'll be in last place anymore, or it'll be very close. After that, ti depends on the playdowns calendar. Opening with a home or away game can make a huge difference as winning your first game is pretty much required if you don't want to be chasing the pack.

So basically, it's really hard to say. :p

• Like 2

Just now, reynard said:

Quite happy with this deal (as are most of the OHL fans on our social media pages).

A young (36 years old), promising and motivated coach who can fall back on the experience of a seasoned veteran.

Vincent Euvrard has some managerial experience. He started his coaching career in 2014 at Hasselt in the Belgian 3th division (now 1st Amateur Division). He then became manager at Geel in the Belgian 2nd division where he finished 13th. Due to the reforming of the professional football leagues Geel relegated to the 1st amateur division. His good work didn't go unnoticed, as Cercle Brugge appointed him as manager for the 2016/2017 season in the 2nd division. Due to bad results he got sacked in October 2016, but returned as assistent-manager to Vercauteren in October 2017. Cercle Brugge won the league under their guidance.

Monaco, who owns Cercle Brugge, wanted a new manager for their affiliate club for the 2018/2019 season, so both Vercauteren and Euvrard left. 

• Like 3

Oud-Heverlee Leuven today (Friday) presents Vincent Euvrard as new head coach.
Vincent is one of the most promising young coaches in Belgian football and will be supported by his mentor, Frank Vercauteren. The latter is appointed as Sports Advisor at The Whites.

Euvrard and Vercauteren worked together last season at Cercle Brugge and managed to force the promotion to 1A.

Peter Willems, CEO of OH Leuven: "I am delighted to welcome Vincent and Frank in Leuven in the name of the board of directors. Their knowledge, experience and the chemistry between them made it an easy and unanimous choice for the board of directors for the short and long term. "

"With Vincent, we attract a young, talented coach who has a bright future ahead of him. His talent is supplemented by the extensive experience of Frank. We are convinced that this combination will immediately have a positive effect on the results and that they will keep OHL in 1B. "

After a career of more than 300 matches in Belgian professional football for Cercle Brugge, Lommel and Sint-Truiden, Euvrard took his first steps as coach at Sporting Hasselt. From there he grew through ASV Geel to Cercle Brugge.

At the appointment of Vercauteren at the Vereniging, the career of Euvrard gained momentum and together they celebrated the promotion with Cercle to 1A. Vercauteren built as a player already a big honors list with many A-caps for Belgium, a lot of country titles and five European cups with Anderlecht. Frank then grew to become a coach and he also won prizes as a trainer. He was three times champion of Belgium and he captured the Belgian Super Cup three times with Anderlecht and Genk. His Russian adventure resulted in a promotion with Krylia Sovetov before being promoted with Cercle Brugge.

19 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Hoping you guys get the 'New manager-bounce' for your remaining games and even if you do enter the playdowns, you can pull it off and then rebuild for next season. 

Seems like assistent-manager (current manager ad interim) Joachim Mununga 'a.k.a. MR. T.' will lead tomorrow's game at Mechelen.

Edited by Bonanza
  • Like 1

After reading all the interviews it's clear to me that Vercauteren is the real man in charge.

It seems like his assistents will be in charge of training, while Vercauteren himself can supervise things from the sidelines. During matchdays he'll be in the stands in stead of on the bench, but he will communicate with his assistents if necessary. Looks a bit like how Sir Alex ferguson did things in his last couple of seasons at Man Utd.

Will this work for us? Only time will tell, but I'm confident. We could've done much worse...

2 hours ago, Bonanza said:

After reading all the interviews it's clear to me that Vercauteren is the real man in charge.

It seems like his assistents will be in charge of training, while Vercauteren himself can supervise things from the sidelines. During matchdays he'll be in the stands in stead of on the bench, but he will communicate with his assistents if necessary. Looks a bit like how Sir Alex ferguson did things in his last couple of seasons at Man Utd.

Will this work for us? Only time will tell, but I'm confident. We could've done much worse...

We can send you puel. .. i will pack all his stuff into my car and drive him over myself... no problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1