Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Adrien Silva

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I hope we use our brains and include an early January recall option - would be nuts not to.

Especially as it could well be that we're inconsistent out wide from the loss of Mahrez and trying to re-establish our team. It's very feasible that all our wingers we currently have will struggle next season.

Gray wide left cutting in with Albrighton on the right though is right now our best alternative if we lose Mahrez. That's where Gray is most dangerous.

With no European football, I'd have thought Silva would be out of reach... Although we obviously pay well, so who knows...

In centre midfield we currently have:

Ndidi, Drinkwater, James, Iborra, Barnes, King, Amartey & Mendy

It's fair to say Mendy may be off & chances for King & Amartey more limited than those players would like... That still leaves us with 5 central midfielders... and only one game a week, Silva would take us back up to six central midfielders... still one more than probably ideal, sure Barnes could be loaned out until Christmas & we need more numbers in the 2nd half of the season

Still seems improbable though

Have we seen the back of 442 (4411)? I doubt it

8 minutes ago, cc_star said:

With no European football, I'd have thought Silva would be out of reach... Although we obviously pay well, so who knows...

In centre midfield we currently have:

Ndidi, Drinkwater, James, Iborra, Barnes, King, Amartey & Mendy

It's fair to say Mendy may be off & chances for King & Amartey more limited than those players would like... That still leaves us with 5 central midfielders... and only one game a week, Silva would take us back up to six central midfielders... still one more than probably ideal, sure Barnes could be loaned out until Christmas & we need more numbers in the 2nd half of the season

Still seems improbable though

Have we seen the back of 442 (4411)? I doubt it

Signing Silva would be just what we need in my opinion but as you say, we are heavily saturated in CM's, with Barnes being the only one who I wouldn't class as a defensive CM. 

Sign Silva to play alongside N'didi and have Drinkwater/James and Iborra fighting it out for starts with Mendy and King being sold and Amartey and Barnes being loaned with option of recall. 

Like you say, seems improbable now and I expect our business to be finished in terms of CM's, which I think is a mistake

3 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

Looks like Armartey is being positioned as RB cover for Simpson.

Shame if true. He is adequate there but why should we be ok with adequate when are in the best league in the world, rich and apparently have big ambitions!

Sign a genuine RB, who not only puts huge pressure on Simpson for a starting position, but also offers us something different. A young, talented RB who likes to get forward and can cross would be an excellent and much needed addition. 

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

If we sign him then I have no idea what formation we'll play next season.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will. I think Iborra will be the only CM signed as Shakey seems to have more than enough faith in Drinky, James, King and co. 

I think they are all too similar and we need a player like Silva. 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we will. I think Iborra will be the only CM signed as Shakey seems to have more than enough faith in Drinky, James, King and co. 

Silva is very similar to James and Drinkwater.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Silva is very similar to James and Drinkwater.

Not from what I've seen. He seems far more comfortable with the ball at his feet, and is an excellent forward passer, rather than passing backwards, sideways and then a hoof.

'Known for his dribbling and passing abilities'..  None of our current midfielders would be known for their dribbling abilities. That's for sure :D

8 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we will. I think Iborra will be the only CM signed as Shakey seems to have more than enough faith in Drinky, James, King and co

Then why have we been pursuing Sigurdsson? Shakespeare and the club know that we lack quality in central midfield and are trying to rectify it. Whether we'll actually be able to sign somebody decent for that position is another matter altogether.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

Then why have we been pursuing Sigurdsson? Shakespeare and the club know that we lack quality in central midfield and are trying to rectify it. Whether we'll actually be able to sign somebody decent for that position is another matter altogether.

I hope you're right. I think Shakey needs to make some difficult decisions and shake-up the midfield, with a number of players being moved on, be it loan or sold. 

I'm concerned we will go "as we are" for the start of the season and perhaps regret it, if we struggle to break down defences.

He'll fit in well in a team that is direct and is strong on the counter-attack.

Would be a quality addition in an area that's been exposed at times in the most recent past.

33 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Not from what I've seen. He seems far more comfortable with the ball at his feet, and is an excellent forward passer, rather than passing backwards, sideways and then a hoof.

'Known for his dribbling and passing abilities'..  None of our current midfielders would be known for their dribbling abilities. That's for sure :D

Arry Kane has the best dribbling abilities I've seen! 

3 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Why would we go in with 23m euros when they already turned down 26m from West Brom. 

Just a load of rubbish journalism. Doubt we would be in for him at all now. 

Agree, but it's not always the case that the highest bid wins the deal. Player, club and agent preferred move all come into play.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

If we sign him then I have no idea what formation we'll play next season.

Midfield three.

I'd love it. Even more so if we keep Mahrez.

Back three

Ndidi       Iborra (or DD)

A.Silva    

Mahrez                       Albrighton

KI (or Slim)

Vardy

31 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Most players would struggle in a two... unless one of the players is super-human like Kante

It's not tany individual player's fault per se, it's the system that sees 2 player up against 3 in almost every game

This isn't a problem if we're on song in our defensive & counter-attacking game, as CM's don't really take on opposition CMs, they're just for ball recovery & turnover but if we're anything less than 100% it's difficult for anyone to make a mark

I would like to see us play with the option of 3 CMs at times

That could be 4231

Simpson - Morgan - Maguire - Fuchs

Ndidi - Mendy

Albrighton - Mahrez (Sigurdsson) - Gray

Vardy (Slimani)

Or 352

Simpson - Maguire - Fuchs

Albrighton Ibboro Ndidi Drinkwater (Silva/James/Barnes) Chilwell

Slimani - Vardy

But that lacks a bit of guile & creativity in Mahrez or similar

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

Midfield three.

I'd love it. Even more so if we keep Mahrez.

Back three

Ndidi       Iborra (or DD)

A.Silva    

Mahrez                       Albrighton

KI (or Slim)

Vardy

That would essentially be a 3-3-4 formation, as Mahrez is never a wingback!

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Agree, but it's not always the case that the highest bid wins the deal. Player, club and agent preferred move all come into play.

True. But the difference between us and West Brom I doubt is enough to sway the player. (Based on last season ofc). 

I dunno, you may be right. But money does usually speak the loudest. 

Archived