Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

33 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

she's done more to help people in her lifetime than you could even begin to comprehend. 

she has dedicated her life to improving the lives of those around her - a neanderthal? no. 

you might not think she's fit for office now which is fair enough but she doesn't deserve any of the abuse she gets. 

I think you're absolutely right.  I don't agree with Diane Abbott's politics, and think she would be a disastrous home secretary, but the abuse that MPs get is ridiculous and damn right nasty.  An MP's wife posted something on Mumsnet a few weeks ago after the Jacob Rees Mogg doorstep incident. It made rather sober reading.

Thing is, MPs get targeted at their homes quite a lot. This was rare because it was filmed.

And this article has numbers lower than reality as not MPs responded.

DH (dear husband) is an MP. My kids are not allowed to answer the phone, or answer the door. We have CCTV to check before we open the door. We had panic buttons installed & our home is on a police register. We have a fire-bomb proof letter box. I had to explain all this to the kids. I had to explain what happened to Jo Cox.

Yesterday an email threatening to kill MPs and their children was sent to lots of MPs.

I’m alone at home with the kids during the week. It can get scary. Other MPs wives have had people hammering on the door shouting abuse in the middle of the night.

No matter what you think of the MP or their policies, involving their kids is shit. …

And we’re small fry. Most of you would probably never have heard of DH. We’ve not had many death threats, and we’re low profile.

High profile people get a whole extra layer of abuse. (And more security & more CCTV etc.) If the death threats against family get severe and are considered imminent, there might be extra measures like reinforced bedroom doors for the kids in case of intruders. And we get police advice on what to do if we’re followed etc.

[Replying to someone's post] Did you read my earlier post? My kids are not allowed to answer the phone or open the front door at home because we don’t know who will be there. We don’t know if there will be people shouting abuse. DH is an MP. 
Many MPs this week received emails that threatened to torture & kill their children. 
This incident was filmed, that’s why you’ve heard about it. Kids of MPs have to put up with stuff all the time. People at school (including teachers) making comments about them & their parents. People calling them names. 
Let’s wonder why lots of very successful politicians don’t have children. Maybe because some don’t push themselves forward to more public roles as they are actively aware of how much the abuse for their families will increase. From the ‘normal’ amount.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

But TM is fair game Daz yeah? :whistle:

TM is a career politician who's done **** all to help anyone and has only ever looked out for herself; whilst repeatedly trying to take people's rights away - especially during her stint as home secretary.  

despite whether people agree with Diane Abbott's political views it's undeniable that's she's done exactly the opposite.

so **** TM, she's still a cvnt. 

good work trawling back through my posts though mate, enjoy your hard-earned thumbs up from matt, webbo, etc. :dry:

21 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

TM is a career politician who's done **** all to help anyone and has only ever looked out for herself; whilst repeatedly trying to take people's rights away - especially during her stint as home secretary.  

despite whether people agree with Diane Abbott's political views it's undeniable that's she's done exactly the opposite.

good work trawling back through my posts though mate, enjoy your hard-earned thumbs up from matt, webbo, etc. :dry:

How is May a career politician? Didn’t she work in banking for around 20 years before politics?

I don’t see why you could demand respect for Abbott and not expect the same for her.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Hahahaha. When in a hole, keep digging.

• Haha 1

there's no hole.

show me a list of positive humanitarian achievements that TM has implemented, fought for, etc. that rivals that of Abbott? 

you can't, because she's never stood up for anyone but herself nor represented anyone with any plight or suffering. 

Abbott might make the odd fumble on the TV or forget a figure or two but she's done more for ordinary people, the impoverished and minorities than Teresa May ever will.

TM is all about herself, her party, business and money. Remember she didn't meet the Grenfell survivors? She can barely interact with 'normal' people. She's a snake.

Diane is a skilled orator, a quick thinker, a glorious debater, a genuine public servant and a thoroughly decent woman.

Amazing lol

25 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

there's no hole.

show me a list of positive humanitarian achievements that TM has implemented, fought for, etc. that rivals that of Abbott? 

you can't, because she's never stood up for anyone but herself nor represented anyone with any plight or suffering. 

But you haven't really posted any of Diane's achievements yourself. All you have presented is something that was probably written by Jeremy.

I do agree with the sentiment that people should not get personal with MPs, but come on, this must apply to all and not just those on your side.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

One thing I forgot @Alf Bentley - Richard Burgon is the actually the shadow justice secretary lol

So we've got him giving a standing ovation to calls for an illegal strike.

I'm less concerned about Burgon and more concerned about an MP thinking it a good idea to call for a general strike and for a crowd of idiots to roar her on.

Mind you, secondary action will be legal again within 5 minutes of the People's Government taking power. Second priority, only behind declaring you illegal as an agent provocateur and throwing you in Leicester jail. ;)

4 hours ago, MattP said:

For those who are Labour members can you explain why Palestine is now such a huge issue? I get its always been a part of the cause for the left in general but how has become so big and so important so quickly?

Voted as a more important issue than Brexit and the NHS on the list of topics to discuss at conference and the crowd is full of people waving the flag, they interviewed a couple of members on Politics live as well and they both had the flag on the lanyard.

I'm trying to think of another nation where a major political party would converge and you would see hundreds of flags from a different nation and not see a single one of their own country. From the outside looking in its so strange. 

You're quite right that it's time the Left reclaimed the British flag. Particularly so when Theresa is off grovelling to the orange narcissist in the White House, offering rock-bottom corporation tax rates to American corporations - doubtless to be funded through further austerity spending cuts (unless she funds her bribes to global corporations through tax rises or higher public debt):

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-brexit-business-corporation-tax-bloomberg-forum-new-york-un-a8555146.html  

I'll appreciate the irony when all the Tories are patriotically waving the red, white & blue next week. Though it's long been obvious that was the road that Brexit would take us down - through the realities of size, economic power and vulnerability. If we're going to wilfully throw away a large chunk of our trade with the EU, the only way of replacing that quickly is to do quick deals with the big boys like USA and China, and such deals will only be readily available if the British public takes a good shafting to benefit the interests of American and global corporations. Shouldn't be too much of a contortion for the Tories and their cheerleaders to bend us all over and hand the corporation tax rebates over to big business while waving the union jack. lol

Meanwhile, here's a first effort to reclaim the British flag... :whistle:

46 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

there's no hole.

Abbott might make the odd fumble on the TV or forget a figure or two but she's done more for ordinary people, the impoverished and minorities than Teresa May ever will.

TM is all about herself, her party, business and money. Remember she didn't meet the Grenfell survivors? She can barely interact with 'normal' people. She's a snake.

A kinder, gentler politics.

image.thumb.png.5f900bcf58afe8e6fdbf02b843fb1e14.png

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

How is May a career politician? Didn’t she work in banking for around 20 years before politics?

I don’t see why you could demand respect for Abbott and not expect the same for her.

So, it was Theresa May who caused the financial crash?

Thank God that Gordon Brown was on hand to save us from the worst of the damage that she might have done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MattP said:

For those who are Labour members can you explain why Palestine is now such a huge issue? I get its always been a part of the cause for the left in general but how has become so big and so important so quickly?

Voted as a more important issue than Brexit and the NHS on the list of topics to discuss at conference and the crowd is full of people waving the flag, they interviewed a couple of members on Politics live as well and they both had the flag on the lanyard.

I'm trying to think of another nation where a major political party would converge and you would see hundreds of flags from a different nation and not see a single one of their own country. From the outside looking in its so strange. 

IMG_20180926_133510.jpg

These are the same people that would call you a racist for waving the St George's flag or the Union Jack in your own country.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
10 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Give it out so take it back pal.

Guest Foxin_mad
15 hours ago, MattP said:

IMG_20180926_133510.jpg

WTF Seriously the state of that lot!! Absolute disgrace, anti-British racists. I can not understand how anyone can vote for this lot. Regardless what you think about Israel/Palestine or whatever, this is utterly needless, its shows complete contempt for the British working class, who to be quite frank could give two shits about either of these countries. Perhaps these idiots should be waving a British flag. 

Its quite hilarious to see Diane Abbot listed as a marvellous politician above?!!? WTF ok then what exactly has she done? Apart from the usual drivel spouted by Labour politicians about fighting for people rights, something to do with equality etc etc etc. 

Or is it another case of Labour = Good, Wonderful people who dedicate their lives --- Tories = Evil, Bad, Scum

I am sorry but there are now people in the Labour party that are more despicable and hateful than many of those in UKIP or even Britain first, the Labour party is full of disgusting, dangerous individuals and I really hope people wake up and see this before its too late and we end up living in some draconian despot far left dictatorship like many found in South America. People say this has never happened in a civilised western democracy before; well that is because no-one has ever been stupid enough to elect a dangerous thicko and his team of counterparts.