Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

5 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Could we just be using this to force movement elsewhere though?

Does this actually happen... gets trotted

our every summer and I don't believe it does for one second.

Just now, Babylon said:

Think I'd entertain this if we sold Okazaki and Leo and brought in a younger player as well.  Their fees would pay for most of Deeney and we blow our load on a prospect.

If we could sign Messi by selling Shinji it would be a no from me.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Does this actually happen... gets trotted

our every summer and I don't believe it does for one second.

I've often wondered whether it's actually a thing or not lol probably isn't to be fair :)

21 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Staying in the league alone now generates what £360m + over three years? I'm guessing they think staying in the league pays for it.

Forget the next level stuff. Their first goal was to establish ourselves first and foremost. Last seasons giant feck up shows we haven't done that yet, the title was a freak. I think we need a rock solid comfortable as hell season before they start looking up.

However you dress it up it's economically unsound and unsustainable long term.

I'd much rather us take a chance on a 23 year old for £30m from a foreign league and maybe sell him for either £10m or £50m a few years down the line as he's either exceeded or not lived up to expectation.

Buying players like Deeney smacks of us not being confident in our scouts ability to be able to pick out a gem so we go for the safe option of a tried tested PL player but we know that will cost us money. The whole club has been an absolute clusterfuck since Walsh was allowed to waltz off without anybody giving a damn whether he did or not.

Deeney > Okazaki > Slimani - 2nd striker position

Slimani > Deeney > Okazaki - CF position

We would most likely be signing Deeney for the 2nd striker role & he's an upgrade on our current options in that position.

If we're going to spend £20M on a 29 yr old then we may as well spend £40M on a 24 yr old. The logic being in 3/4 years time when Deeney is 32/33 he'll probably be worth next to zero or a few million quid at most, where as the 24 yr old at 27/28 you'd hope will still be worth at least half of his original value. Not only that, like anything the market is probably only going to continue to inflate and as we all know assets tend to gain value or at least the depreciation is some what off set by the inflation of the market. 

Bottom line; if we're going to throw £20m away on a player we might as well do it on a younger better quality of player at double the cost! 

Over simplification but you get the jist.

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'd much rather us take a chance on a 23 year old for £30m from a foreign league and maybe sell him for either £10m or £50m a few years down the line as he's either exceeded or not lived up to expectation.

Buying players like Deeney smacks of us not being confident in our scouts ability to be able to pick out a gem so we go for the safe option of a tried tested PL player but we know that will cost us money. The whole club has been an absolute clusterfuck since Walsh was allowed to waltz off without anybody giving a damn whether he did or not.

Unless you know the clubs accounts in detail or what the owners plans are you can't say it's not sustainable. 

Guest ttfn

He fell out of the Watford team at the end of last season, we'd be mad to pay over £15 million for him.

I just don't think he's an upgrade on what we've already got. He's not getting in ahead of Vardy or Slimani as the #9 and he's not athletic enough to play the #10 role in a side which plays 4-4-2 to any sort of decent standard. Okazaki has his critics but his endless running provides huge amounts of protection to our midfield 2. I don't see Deeney doing that now. 2 years ago, maybe but not now.

I don't see any formation we'd play in which he'd be a stand out choice for a starting XI spot, and at age 29 and with a hefty transfer fee likely it just doesn't make sense.

Just now, ttfn said:

He fell out of the Watford team at the end of last season, we'd be mad to pay over £15 million for him.

I just don't think he's an upgrade on what we've already got. He's not getting in ahead of Vardy or Slimani as the #9 and he's not athletic enough to play the #10 role in a side which plays 4-4-2 to any sort of decent standard. Okazaki has his critics but his endless running provides huge amounts of protection to our midfield 2. I don't see Deeney doing that now. 2 years ago, maybe but not now.

I don't see any formation we'd play in which he'd be a stand out choice for a starting XI spot, and at age 29 and with a hefty transfer fee likely it just doesn't make sense.

I feel a change of formation for next year, Shakey tied 352 or even 343 several times last year, can see this being used a few times next season

I wouldn't be too bothered about his age if he clearly had superb fitness levels (like Jamie Vardy has) but if anything it seems his fitness is comparatively poor for a 29 year old. 

£10m - £15m then I'd say he's worth a gamble but £20m+? Crazy.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Selling a prospect at a £20m loss (£30m purchase / £10m sale... your example) is the same as not getting back the £20m you spend on Deeney. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Unless you know the clubs accounts in detail or what the owners plans are you can't say it's not sustainable. 

I don't need to know the club's accounts.

Constantly spending eight figure sums on players with little resale value only ends one way.

We're not much richer than most of this division and consistently getting poor value catches up with you in the end, it's an unsustainable model for clubs like ours in this division.

5 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Deeney > Okazaki > Slimani - 2nd striker position

Slimani > Deeney > Okazaki - CF position

We would most likely be signing Deeney for the 2nd striker role & he's an upgrade on our current options in that position.

So 30m Slimani won't play at all unless Vardy gets injured, and it's basically the end of the road for Okazaki? Would make more sense if we'd heard whisperings about us trying to sell Slim or Oka, but nothing at all so far, maybe we will....

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

So 30m Slimani won't play at all unless Vardy gets injured, and it's basically the end of the road for Okazaki? Would make more sense if we'd heard whisperings about us trying to sell Slim or Oka, but nothing at all so far, maybe we will....

Can't see Oka being sold, he's too integral i'd say. Can't see Slim going either 

Constantly spending eight figure sums on players with little resale value only ends one way.

We're not much richer than most of this division and consistently getting poor value catches up with you in the end, it's an unsustainable model for clubs like ours in this division.

We're set to make a nifty profit on players like Gray, Chilwell, Ndidi, Albrighton if we ever sell them.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Selling a prospect at a £20m loss (£30m purchase / £10m sale... your example) is the same as not getting back the £20m you spend on Deeney. 

If we bought two £30m players I would expect us to sell one for £50m and one for £10m a few years down the line which would be break even on transfer fees.

Buying Deeney is like buying a brand new car, you know it's not worth what you paid for it as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

McGuire and Ndidi are 2 young lads and 2 of our most recent signings. Kaputska, Mendy and Musa were pretty young too. What are you moaning about?

Guest ttfn
7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's obviously not sustainable. In any line of business spending money on high value assets which generate no return is not sustainable.

The only way it can be sustainable is if he personally generates £20 million + of value on the pitch (plus his wages over the length of the contract). This may be facilitated through an ever-growing TV deal, his leadership helping to bring more out of other assets or a variety of other means but I really struggle to believe that this makes any financial sense.

There's so little upside to this and all in this is a transfer which could cost us £35 million or so after fees and wages.

Just now, Gerard said:

Well yes you do if you are going to suggest it's unsustainable. We've made good profit every year so far in our accounts. It's actually quite feasible that we continue to do so.

We also don't just spend our money on 29 year olds, our only actual signing so far is a young prospect, as was the one before that (Maguire, N'didi) a good season from both again and you've doubled your money already.

Archived