Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

11 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

It just looks like we're desperate. Deeney is not the best we can do for that sort of money. It's not good value.

Maybe not, but it might be from this country. We look like we're after relatively risk free signings. Went went for foreigners rated and doing well in other countries and they've so far flopped more than they've hit recently.

And we are offering proper money too - as Shakey said, going after targets aggressively after learning lessons from last transfer window. I also think they are targeting realistic acquisitions not being strung along by targets who would rather play at a bigger club for 20k per week less than come to Leicester.

14 hours ago, gcxttle said:

Would absolutely love that. I know I'm going to get abused but I'd take Deeney over Iheanacho any day taking into consideration the buy back clause. 

You sir, are mental.

14 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

It's rare that if a deal is going to happen a bid gets made public first. Sounds like games to me, not sure about this one.

Personally think he'd be great though.

Cambiasso, Maguire, Okazaki, Ndidi, etc. etc. etc.

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If we were in for him in Jan then we will be in for him again now. That's generally how we work (apart from Ramirez!)

Still time for Rudkin to get his dirty paws on that deal.

1 hour ago, Wortho said:

Watford have to pay Walsall 20-25% of the fee they receive.

That's thier problem, not ours. They're fortunate that Deeney doesn't have a release clause, the joys of not having Rudkin in charge.

35 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

No thanks, i'm still not over THAT Watford playoff game.

lol Let them have Deeney Day. It's all they'll have for the foreseeable...and to be fair - they deserve it. We'll have Deeney, A premiership title and a CL quarter final to reminisce about!

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I have no doubts Deeney will be an upgrade on Shinji, who lets not forget is 32 before the season is out. The only issues around this for me are the age of our strike force, the long term squad building and the personal preference of thinking it's better practice to go for players with resale value.

Okazaki 32 in April

Vardy 31 in January

Slimani 30 in June

Deeney 30 in June

Ulloa 31 in July

They are all likely to need phasing out around the same time, which is not ideal. From a squad building perspective it's ok so long as we traded two out this summer and got another much younger player in. Pack the bags of Ulloa and Okazaki, bring in Deeney and Iheanacho and now we're talking.

I've pointed out to someone else on here, considering "re-sale value" is actually a quite negative position to take by a club and definitely for a fan. 

The notion suggests you're actually considering selling the player down the line; almost accepting that the club will not be good enough to retain the player should they reach a certain skill level. Yet imagine if an incoming player comes in and actually says he sees the club as a stepping stone in his career (something Mahrez did I believe), we wouldn't be very happy would we?

The classic example to point to is Newcastle, who openly pursued this policy, got some decent players in, only to sell them on a couple of years later - yes for a profit, but they then found that trick harder to come by and ended up getting relegated, so arguably the profit they gained from the transfers was dwarfed by the loss in revenue form being outside the top league.

And This then links onto another key consideration... we have a rookie manager and we enter this season of the back of an indifferent season where at one point relegation was a certain possibility, so what do we logically go for?

• Experienced targets where the club feels confident they can come in and make an impact right away, with limited coaching hours on the training pitch?
  • Younger, less experienced players that may have re-sale value and room for improvement - but may be less certain to make that instant impact?

I would concede that in an ideal situation you'd probably want to go for a mixture of the two and the fact we've signed Maguire and are looking at players for the under 23's are a positive sign, but I'd also suggest that getting a solid frame work of experienced players in is also a key requirement this summer especially given we have a tricky looking opening to the season.

46 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

No thanks, i'm still not over THAT Watford playoff game.

How on earth are you not over that?! 

The pain of that day moulded the squad into one of the most mentally tough, determined, brilliant teams in the country. Let it go man, we've got 2 league titles and memories of Europe to last a lifetime because of that game!

13 hours ago, hejammy said:

But is the okazaki type of player what we need to grow as a team? Yes he's a workhorse but does he actually do anything productive apart from "being at one with the grass..." Deeney would give us another dimension, front 3 of Slim, Vardy and Deeney does sound pretty exciting  

Yes I agree Oka should be fazed out, but dont think this is the way to go if we have any ambitions for Europa League positions

11 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Yes I agree Oka should be fazed out, but don think this is the way to go if we have any ambitions for Europa League positions

Oka will be fazed out if Deeney comes. He doesn't offer a lot anyway and definitely wont coming off the bench. He might feel like moving on anyway.

I think it's time Okazaki and definitely Ulloa left the club anyway. Musa potentially as well but if we want to give him another season, fair enough. Time for Leo and Shinji to leave though, both on the decline.

30 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The notion suggests you're actually considering selling the player down the line; almost accepting that the club will not be good enough to retain the player should they reach a certain skill level. Yet imagine if an incoming player comes in and actually says he sees the club as a stepping stone in his career (something Mahrez did I believe), we wouldn't be very happy would we?

We aren't good enough to keep players who reach a certain level and we are a stepping stone to every single player, we need to accept that from the off because that is reality. Call it negative all you want, but it's a fact.

I'm more than happy to take a mix, I've already made a point of that a few pages back and even in my post. 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it's time Okazaki and definitely Ulloa left the club anyway. Musa potentially as well but if we want to give him another season, fair enough. Time for Leo and Shinji to leave though, both on the decline.

You'd be happier keeping musa than okazaki? :nigel:

Can't see how we're willing to fork out £20 million for Troy Deeney a player we don't really need instead of stumping up £25 million for Ben Gibson.

Steve Walsh has left - Can we just throw away that out dated target list and move on now? We spunked £30 million on Slimani last year this is a complete and utter waste of resources.

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

You'd be happier keeping musa than okazaki? :nigel:

Yes - Can you imagine if Vardy got injured how uninspiring a front line of Slimani/Deeney/Okazaki/Ulloa would be? We need the threat of pace on the break our whole playing style is built around it.

12 minutes ago, Dames said:

Yes - Can you imagine if Vardy got injured how uninspiring a front line of Slimani/Deeney/Okazaki/Ulloa would be? We need the threat of pace on the break our whole playing style is built around it.

We do need a like for like back up for Vardy, but Musa isn't the answer. Hopefully we can bring in Iheanacho because he'd be able to play that role and also has the skillset to partner Vardy.

1 minute ago, foxes21 said:

We do need a like for like back up for Vardy, but Musa isn't the answer. Hopefully we can bring in Iheanacho because he'd be able to play that role and also has the skillset to partner Vardy.

How quick is Iheanacho? I watched a few vids and he didn't see quick from those, but it's hard to tell.

Just now, Babylon said:

How quick is Iheanacho? I watched a few vids and he didn't see quick from those, but it's hard to tell.

He's not as quick as Vardy, but he's not slow either. He'd probably be the second quickest in our squad, behind Vardy.

He has experience playing on the shoulder for Man City so I'm sure he'll be able to play there if Vardy gets injured.

Reminds me of the time that cheating little barstool from Blackburn signed for us. Nobody wanted him but what a great player David Speedie turned out to be. Could be a repeat with Deeney, and at least he scored fair and square. 

8 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

We won't ever be able to replace Vardy. He's our most important player because of the way we play.

27 minutes ago, gerryn said:

Reminds me of the time that cheating little barstool from Blackburn signed for us. Nobody wanted him but what a great player David Speedie turned out to be. Could be a repeat with Deeney, and at least he scored fair and square. 

Just came on here to post the same thing. Feels a lot like Speedie but at least Deeney didn't cheat with that goal as much as it hurt!

Archived