Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

24 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Just because we stand to profit on other players it doesn't mean we should just phone it in with other transfers.

Yes, it gives us a licence to do that if we wish but you don't go out and spend £25 million on an asset unless you think it will deliver £25 million of value in some way shape or form over and above what you already have, it's as simple as that and it's something that people seem to be missing on the whole discussion about the inflation of the transfer market.

If the club think that some way or other one player is worth an extra £25 million over the length of his contract then they should spend it even if they think he'll leave for free at the end of it.

I just can't see how they think that a 29 year old Troy Deeney, who struggled to get in the first XI of a club where he is a bonafide legend last season, is going to generate that sort of value for us over the length of his contract

If you start throwing the money away then what was even the point in doing it beforehand anyway?

If it was up to me, to put it in simplistic terms, I would very much go by the method of signing for say, £10mil, with a view to maybe getting £30mil, then using that £30mil to get more £10mil players to sell at £30mil. Obviously it's nowhere near that simple, but it's that concept.

3 minutes ago, Worthington said:

2012!

I read that he'd turned his life around and has become a tremendous role model. 

Havent we all made mistakes in the past? It's where we head next that matters imo. 

Edit. Apologies, just realised you're referring to the play off goal. 

Do we hate everyone who scores against us then?

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

If you start throwing the money away then what was even the point in doing it beforehand anyway?

If it was up to me, to put it in simplistic terms, I would very much go by the method of signing for say, £10mil, with a view to maybe getting £30mil, then using that £30mil to get more £10mil players to sell at £30mil. Obviously it's nowhere near that simple, but it's that concept.

If you're buying to sell... that's quite a negative outlook. That method also creates issues in terms of building a progressive side. 

You buy to improve the side, not with profit in mind, unless you want us to follow the Newcastle model?

3 minutes ago, Worthington said:

2012!

You mean the here's You, Deeeennneeyyy? Mate I was ready to go on that pitch with the other 2,000 Leicester fans but hey I got caught on TV with the saddest face ever.. but are you really going to hold that against Deeney for doing 'his job'? No, no you're not. If that moment hadnt have happened we wouldn't have walked the Championship like we did then go on to do the great escape..  then win the Premier League. 

Don't hold grudges, life is to short to do so. Deeney will be good for us.

does not represent good value for money in my eyes, look at slimani! we got ripped off when we bought him and I am amazed we paid that looking back on that transfer. We need someone in this mold but a lot younger! Dislike his attitude to not wanting to join us and remember his interview on 5 live! no thanks steer well clear

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Just looked unfit and lost pace.

Still got 10 goals though.

From the outside looking in he didn't seem to get on with the manager?

Surely he was still better than Okaka? Comfortably the worst striker we faced at home last season.

That is true ! 

No-one liked or understood Mazzari (spelling)

I think some fans feel Deeney is playing to the media too much now and lost a bit of focus.

Okaka is built like a brickhouse but falls over like a fly!

Shows the odd good touch but as you suggest it's fleeting and spends a lot of time on the floor moaning.

We really could do with a younger quick striker like Vydra and Ighalo were.

Would be a great signing for me, firstly can play up front or behind the striker as he did with Igahlo, so that would very much suit playing with Vardy who benefits from being the main striker with someone playing off him. Also very hardworking but technically better than Okazaki is, he can link play, also a better goalscoring record. He is a leader, being a club captain and his change since his return to football has been remarkable, by all accounts a very decent bloke now so would be a benefit to the dressing room.

I don't see the problem with this signing, would certainly be an upgrade on Okazaki and our other current strikers and even though he is 29, players who develop later in their careers (which clearly Deeney has) are often able to play at a higher level for longer, same will hopefully be the case with Vardy. Up to £25 million isn't a terribly large fee in todays market for someone who has hit double figures in goals with a decent amount of assists in the past 2 seasons playing premier league football. Besides, our owners are minted.

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Positives

• Another captain.
  • He's probably tailor made to play behind Vardy.
  • Used to the English game.

Negatives

• Twenty ****ing million.

Another Positive = He's very good at Penalty's, something we have been crying out for.

I'm the first to moan at people questioning price tags etc as I've seen first hand all the ins and outs of a transfer deal that bump prices up but f*^k me £20m seems very steep for Deeney given his age etc. Not doubting he'd be a good signing, would add quality and settle into our squad ethos/mentality straight away but think for that sort of money we could look elsewhere.

Cant see Slim hanging around much longer if this happens and the club gets decent offer for him. Would be a shame as I think he'd be dangerous with a pre season under his belt and if we played to his strengths

You know how when you used to type certain words on FT it would automatically change to a starred out word (like cov or Holloway...)

Can we do the same whenever any one says anything that looks like it’s a moan about a ****ing transfer fee????

Unless you’re doing a detailed fecking analysis of our yearly accounts every year, you’ll never no how much we’ve paid for anyone no matter what’s reported, or for how long a time period we pay that fee over for that matter!! 

Even the numbers rarely reported by clubs don’t tell the whole story. Look at Luiz moving back to Chelsea, you really think they paid £50 million?? No they’ll have just written off whatever was left owed to them by PSG and stuck a bit more on top which probably adds up to 50.

Not one of us on here has dealt with the intricate dealings of a transfer... so stop sodding acting like it 

I hope when the club announce this they do it with a photoshopped video of the 2013 play off game with Deeney's head on Knockaert's body, putting the penalty in the top right corner and sending us to Wembley, that might top the weird stuff we've already seen this summer

1 minute ago, Walkers said:

I hope when the club announce this they do it with a photoshopped video of the 2013 play off game with Deeney's head on Knockaert's body, putting the penalty in the top right corner and sending us to Wembley, that might top the weird stuff we've already seen this summer

They’d have to have employed someone with a sense of humour for that mate...

14 minutes ago, AjcW said:

You know how when you used to type certain words on FT it would automatically change to a starred out word (like cov or Holloway...)

Can we do the same whenever any one says anything that looks like it’s a moan about a ****ing transfer fee????

Unless you’re doing a detailed fecking analysis of our yearly accounts every year, you’ll never no how much we’ve paid for anyone no matter what’s reported, or for how long a time period we pay that we over for that matter!! 

Even the numbers rarely reported by clubs don’t tell the whole story. Look at Luiz moving back to Chelsea, you really think they paid £50 million?? No they’ll have just written off whatever was left owed to them by PSG and stuck a bit more on top which probably adds up to 50.

Not one of us on here has dealt with the intricate dealings of a transfer... so stop sodding acting like it 

They sold Luiz for more than they paid to get him back no?

£30m last year = just do it 

£20m now = madness?!?!!!

JFDI!

Deeney & Iheanacho => than Musa & Ulloa & Okazaki. We'd pay c£45m for the former. Should get £25-30m for the latter. So huge upgrade (? reduced wage bill too?) for £15m+?

No brainer.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

If Geoff is right and we had an £18m bid accepted in Jan, I cannot see how we would pay more than £20m in the summer window. 

Never underestimate this club.

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

If you're buying to sell... that's quite a negative outlook. That method also creates issues in terms of building a progressive side. 

You buy to improve the side, not with profit in mind, unless you want us to follow the Newcastle model?

I probably didn't word it right. Not necessarily buying to sell all of the time - but if you're buying players whose value / ability will rise then that cannot be a bad thing.

The better you do it the better you can sign next time. If Southampton sold Van Dijk, Bertrand and Ward-Prowse this summer for example I bet they could spend that money to improve their side overall. If they get £60mil for a centre half then they've done fantastically.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

I probably didn't word it right. Not necessarily buying to sell all of the time - but if you're buying players whose value / ability will rise then that cannot be a bad thing.

The better you do it the better you can sign next time. If Southampton sold Van Dijk, Bertrand and Ward-Prowse this summer for example I bet they could spend that money to improve their side overall. If they get £60mil for a centre half then they've done fantastically.

But everytime you spend money on a transfer fee there's risk it won't work out - and potentially more so if they're young and inexperienced.

Consider our title winning side... not a youngster in the bunch, all players performing at their prime. Remember, we're still mid tier in the premier league so to get quality we may have to shop at the higher end of the age market, but that's not a bad thing - we picked up Fuchs who had little to no resale value potential (true, on a free). Same with Huth.

but there value to us - can't be priced.

Didn't Pearson say a few times whilst he was in charge that he loved having 5/6 strikers to choose from? Shakey might feel the same. 

Personally not that keen, but got a feeling he'd do a lot better here than Iheanacho. Sort of player that would do extremely well for us

Archived