Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

That's just not true. If that is our ambition and we'd stay in the league with Okazaki (who we already have contracted) instead of Deeney then signing Deeney for £25 million is a waste of £25 million.

Management have to make a decision as to whether he is incrementally worth that amount to the club. If they think that spending £25 million on Deeney is the difference between us staying up or going down, or the difference between a successful implementation of a strategy for staying up or going down, then yes your point stands. 

But saying "all he has to do is help us stay up" is unbelievably reductive and misses the not particularly subtle point that a) we already have players capable of delivering that and b) there are always other options.

I understand that, but Okazaki is 31 and will be 32 before theseason is out and can barely last 60 minutes as it is. I'm not sure we can realistically be expecting him to do what he's been doing for another 2 or 3 years, whilst we could with Deeney who has literally only just turned 29.

Guest ttfn
Just now, Nickfosse said:

Absolutely this. The financial gains of handling the here and now in the Premier League blows making profits on transfers out of the water. 

But if you are concerned about that, we have loads to compensate for this loss;

Kasper, Chilwell, Maguire, Albrighton, N'Didi, Drinkwater, James, Amartey, Barnes, Gray, Mahrez, Vardy, Lawrence even Andy King would all sell for more than we purchased them for. Not to mention Kante, Schlupp, Nugent, De Laet, Wood who, when you add it all up, we have made a fortune on over the years.. 

Just because we stand to profit on other players it doesn't mean we should just phone it in with other transfers.

Yes, it gives us a licence to do that if we wish but you don't go out and spend £25 million on an asset unless you think it will deliver £25 million of value in some way shape or form over and above what you already have, it's as simple as that and it's something that people seem to be missing on the whole discussion about the inflation of the transfer market.

If the club think that some way or other one player is worth an extra £25 million over the length of his contract then they should spend it even if they think he'll leave for free at the end of it.

I just can't see how they think that a 29 year old Troy Deeney, who struggled to get in the first XI of a club where he is a bonafide legend last season, is going to generate that sort of value for us over the length of his contract

6 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Absolutely this. The financial gains of handling the here and now in the Premier League blows making profits on transfers out of the water. 

But if you are concerned about that, we have loads to compensate for this loss;

Kasper, Chilwell, Maguire, Albrighton, N'Didi, Drinkwater, James, Amartey, Barnes, Gray, Mahrez, Vardy, Lawrence even Andy King would all sell for more than we purchased them for. Not to mention Kante, Schlupp, Nugent, De Laet, Wood who, when you add it all up, we have made a fortune on over the years.. 

What would Wood be worth now?.. £20m?..

(That's not Edward Woodward by the way.) 

Not for me now. Our squad is already ageing and he adds to that. We need someone younger. With Iborra as well we're just setting ourselves up to need replacements in the next couple of years.

I saw the logic a year ago more than I do now, which is strange but given we're signing Iborra as well I fear we're going too far up the West Brom route. Maybe I'm being overly harsh but this isn't doing a lot for me.

Guest ttfn
Just now, Babylon said:

I understand that, but Okazaki is 31 and will be 32 before theseason is out and can barely last 60 minutes as it is. I'm not sure we can realistically be expecting him to do what he's been doing for another 2 or 3 years, whilst we could with Deeney who has literally only just turned 29.

This is a fair point but as I've said I am not sure Deeney himself is cut out for that role in a team which plays with our intensity and relies so heavily on the athleticism of our number 10.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

If that is even relevant Iheanacho would have to have been brilliant for 2 years. In 2 years Deeney will be 31 and pretty much washed up, if he isn't already.

If we got Deeney instead of Iheanacho I will be thoroighly devastated.

I must admit I did think the same with Deeney's age.

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

This is a fair point but as I've said I am not sure Deeney himself is cut out for that role in a team which plays with our intensity and relies so heavily on the athleticism of our number 10.

I should point out again, I'm with you and gerrard, it's not my ideal way of conducting transfers. I'm much more into value.

But trying to look at it from the clubs point of view I can see why there would be no major issues so long as we continue to mix it up in the market.

I can't see why people show much dislike towards him. He would compliment Vardy perfectly with his strength and aerial presence. Also his personality would suit the dressing room which is equally important what happens on the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Do you think Deeney can do Oka's job and run around like a scolded cat - even for 45 mins? 

I dont

1 minute ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Do you think Deeney can do Oka's job and run around like a scolded cat - even for 45 mins? 

I dont

But is the okazaki type of player what we need to grow as a team? Yes he's a workhorse but does he actually do anything productive apart from "being at one with the grass..." Deeney would give us another dimension, front 3 of Slim, Vardy and Deeney does sound pretty exciting  

1 minute ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I dont

Maybe not a scolded cat, but whenever I've seen him his movement and work rate has been excellent. 

I have the same concerns as everyone else following last season, but if he can rediscover his sharpness and desire, he would be a magnificent partner for Vardy. 

Also takes a great penalty which would be useful, especially with Silva off to Spurs. 

5 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I dont

I couldn't see Okazaki producing the number of goals he scores and assits either, so there will be a trade off.

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Why do people keep calling him fat? Latest pics I've seen he looks pretty trim to me. Not everyone is built like a whippet.

I think it is based on the home game with them a couple of months ago where he did look out of shape, to be fair.

42 minutes ago, ttfn said:

That's just not true. If that is our ambition and we'd stay in the league with Okazaki (who we already have contracted) instead of Deeney then signing Deeney for £25 million is a waste of £25 million.

Management have to make a decision as to whether he is incrementally worth that amount to the club. If they think that spending £25 million on Deeney is the difference between us staying up or going down, or the difference between a successful implementation of a strategy for staying up or going down, then yes your point stands. 

But saying "all he has to do is help us stay up" is unbelievably reductive and misses the not particularly subtle point that a) we already have players capable of delivering that and b) there are always other options.

A lot of people are looking at the upfront transfer figure, but these days it's the whole package that is considered, so in Deeney's case the fee may look high, but maybe there's a trade off in terms of reduced wage demands and extras when compared to other prospective targets.

Additionally, although at 29 there is less potential resale value, the flip side on that is you're more certain to have this player for 3/4 seasons - they won't jump ship, giving you something to build around. If we sign a 21/22 year old and they become a hit, we may make a profit on the individual transfer... but we'll end up having to replace them, which damages us in non-monetary terms.

From what I can see, we're working on two avenues for transfers... the right now and the future, by bolstering the under 23's squad, so it feels a rounded strategy. 

Archived