Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

So 30m Slimani won't play at all unless Vardy gets injured, and it's basically the end of the road for Okazaki? Would make more sense if we'd heard whisperings about us trying to sell Slim or Oka, but nothing at all so far, maybe we will....

Yeah to be honest this could all be a load of rubbish and just paper talk.

I can't see Okazaki being sold.

Slimani? hard to say.

Also what will happen with Ulloa...

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Can't see Oka being sold, he's too integral i'd say. Can't see Slim going either 

I can't see either player going as well.

Which is why I can't understand why we're in for Deeney, and it's doing my head in. Think I'll check back in a couple days to see what's happened

Just now, brucey said:

I can't see either player going as well.

Which is why I can't understand why we're in for Deeney, and it's doing my head in. Think I'll check back in a couple days to see what's happened

Genuinely scratching my head how he'd fit into our team anywhere at all 

Just now, ttfn said:

It's obviously not sustainable. In any line of business spending money on high value assets which generate no return is not sustainable.

The only way it can be sustainable is if he personally generates £20 million + of value on the pitch (plus his wages over the length of the contract). This may be facilitated through an ever-growing TV deal, his leadership helping to bring more out of other assets or a variety of other means but I really struggle to believe that this makes any financial sense.

There's so little upside to this and all in this is a transfer which could cost us £35 million or so after fees and wages.

There is a return, the return is generated by staying in the league as I've already started and the revenue that generates.

Yoi're also looking at the transfer singular rather than the transfer strategy as a whole.

2 minutes ago, The_77 said:

We're set to make a nifty profit on players like Gray, Chilwell, Ndidi, Albrighton if we ever sell them.

Which is great but why buy someone you know you're going to lose money on.

I can accept we don't need to make a profit on every player but if we're going to spend this kind of money and write it off then do it on a player who will make a difference and not on someone who will be a decent but unspectacular player for us.

Are you guys all spending your own money?!!

I simply dont get why anyone wouldn't want Deeney here! He's class & a clear upgrade on Shinji.

Yes, we'd have the generational problem with him, Slim & Vards all of an age. But we'd have Iheanacho, Gray & possibly Barnes & Lawrence behind, & transfer windows aplenty to come to sort that.

Please #lcfc, sign Deeney AND Iheanacho!

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This very much depends on which Deeney shows up, if its the Deeney who actually cares and puts in big shifts im all for it, if like the one for all of last year, not a fan at all

So you're not a fan of Mahrez either then? 

Guest ttfn
Just now, Babylon said:

There is a return, the return is generated by staying in the league as I've already started and the revenue that generates.

Yoi're also looking at the transfer singular rather than the transfer strategy as a whole.

I'm not, I've acknowledged that in my post.

Deeney has to add (in some way, shape or form), an incremental £35 million + over his contract to make it worthwhile. That may be through bringing the best out of others or it may be through his performances directly.

Is he worth an extra £35 million over the next 4 years to us? Really? I don't see it however it's dressed up.

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

If we bought two £30m players I would expect us to sell one for £50m and one for £10m a few years down the line which would be break even on transfer fees.

Buying Deeney is like buying a brand new car, you know it's not worth what you paid for it as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

Well you could sell both for £10m and be even more out of pocket.

We clearly take a mixed view in terms of transfers, some risks with high potential returns, some low risk with low potential returns. So long as that continues that's not the end of the world. As I said we've got plenty of potenial returns from the likes of gray, maguire, n'didi. 

If we got another young striker or defender also in this window we're not straying too far down the no potential resale value path with the squad as a whole.

If the fee for Deeney is correct, we're could've paying paying a good 5m over the odds, but it's pennies to Billionaires!!

But if we're going to play 3-4-3, Vardy as the main CF with Slimani and Deeney either side, defences would take a battering in the air and still have to take on Vardy with his pace and all 3 would defend from the front.

It could be an interesting Trio.

Money is crazy in football now. It's impossible to say how much anyone is truly worth anymore. Just roll with it and hope for the best. I like to think Shakespeare has a good handle on it all personally.

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I'm not, I've acknowledged that in my post.

Deeney has to add (in some way, shape or form), an incremental £35 million + over his contract to make it worthwhile. That may be through bringing the best out of others or it may be through his performances directly.

Is he worth an extra £35 million over the next 4 years to us? Really? I don't see it however it's dressed up.

He doesn't have to add anything other than helping us stay in the league, that is quite simply the long and short of it.

I wonder if Deeney is a "players pick"It's often said that Pearson asked the players who was the toughest player they faced in the promotion season and they went for Ulloa.

Maybe they rate him and think he would be a good fit and if Shakespeare does too.Bada bing!

7 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

If the fee for Deeney is correct, we're could've paying paying a good 5m over the odds, but it's pennies to Billionaires!!

But if we're going to play 3-4-3, Vardy as the main CF with Slimani and Deeney either side, defences would take a battering in the air and still have to take on Vardy with his pace and all 3 would defend from the front.

Deeney and Slimani out wide of a front three... vomit.

8 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

Mate, those players in that formation wouldnt even work on Fifa. 

It's a YES from me, probably one of the best football brains for laying off to his strike partner, Ighalo was blessed to play alongside Deeney.

Also great in aerial combat, a defenders nightmare to play against and can stick a penalty down the keepers throat.

£20+ million sounds like silly money but this is the 2017-2018 Premier League awash with money, we're not in the Championship anymore.

Maguire, Iborra, Deeney ?, Iheanacho ? Plus another young CB (Gibson) and a creative midfielder (Boudabouz) and I'd say a good window with the development signings added in. 

Guest ttfn
11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He doesn't have to add anything other than helping us stay in the league, that is quite simply the long and short of it.

That's just not true. If that is our ambition and we'd stay in the league with Okazaki (who we already have contracted) instead of Deeney then signing Deeney for £25 million is a waste of £25 million.

Management have to make a decision as to whether he is incrementally worth that amount to the club. If they think that spending £25 million on Deeney is the difference between us staying up or going down, or the difference between a successful implementation of a strategy for staying up or going down, then yes your point stands. 

But saying "all he has to do is help us stay up" is unbelievably reductive and misses the not particularly subtle point that a) we already have players capable of delivering that and b) there are always other options.

14 minutes ago, los dedos said:

I wonder if Deeney is a "players pick"It's often said that Pearson asked the players who was the toughest player they faced in the promotion season and they went for Ulloa.

Maybe they rate him and think he would be a good fit and if Shakespeare does too.Bada bing!

Funnily enough I was wondering this about Iborra earlier.

Surely the players would at least have been consulted prior to bidding... would seem silly not to

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Absolutely this. The financial gains of handling the here and now in the Premier League blows making profits on transfers out of the water. 

But if you are concerned about that, we have loads to compensate for this loss;

Kasper, Chilwell, Maguire, Albrighton, N'Didi, Drinkwater, James, Amartey, Barnes, Gray, Mahrez, Vardy, Lawrence even Andy King would all sell for more than we purchased them for. Not to mention Kante, Schlupp, Nugent, De Laet, Wood who, when you add it all up, we have made a fortune on over the years.. 

19 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Remember how much Deeney loved us when he did that excellent MOTD analysis?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35955616

I reckon he'd fit in perfectly here.

Him and Vards would be Chavtastic together up front.

It's a yes from me...

That was a great read, he was very complementary towards us. 

Archived