Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Matty James to ......?

James isn't Zico but he WAS better than DD in the Championship season based on all the stats - except for shooting!

Whether that remains the case now remains to be seen.

It seems to me a lot of people seem to think that he wasn't up to much when partnering Cambi in the Great Escape season,

and that's where the negativity stems from.

On this point you have to remember that for the most

part we were playing a centre midfield two, against three. For all his ability Cambiaso couldn't run, leaving ALL donkey work to be done by Jaymo. 

The wide players were often those defensive work horses Mahrez and Schlupp!

What I'm saying is he had a massive job on his hands defensively and in terms of work rate, simply covering for the other midfielder's weakness. 

To be critical of him in that season on this basis I think is pretty unfair.

I actually believe that he was decent in our great escape season. He certainly wasn't any worse than the vast majority of the team where and I would like to see him given the chance to kick on from that with better players around him.

Put it this way, I certainly don't think he was any worse that year than King, Amartey and Mendy (from the very little we've seen) have been since. Right now, with the options we have, he would be my fourth pick at CM behind Ndidi, DD and Iborra and there are players at that team that should go before he does. 

....And with all that said, he's looked our best CM from Pre season.

King offers much more to the side than James.  What exactly are James strengths?  Is he particularly creative; no.  Is he a fantastic defensive midfielder; no.  Does he contribute the odd goal; absolutely not.  

He is absolutely no better than King.  And King has the ability to hit the target and score goals.  

6 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

King offers much more to the side than James.  What exactly are James strengths?  Is he particularly creative; no.  Is he a fantastic defensive midfielder; no.  Does he contribute the odd goal; absolutely not.  

He is absolutely no better than King.  And King has the ability to hit the target and score goals.  

Don't talk guff.

James - stronger

James - better on the ball

James - better passing range

James - better heading

James - more explosive (not hard)

James - more committed

King - better at shooting

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Don't talk guff.

James - stronger

James - better heading

James - more committed

I disagree on every count mate, particularly the 'committed' one.  But that's fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Don't talk guff.

James - stronger

James - better heading

James - more committed

I'm a massive King fan, but find it hard to disagree with this. They both have parts to play in the coming season, James more so I'd imagine.

54 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

I disagree on every count mate, particularly the 'committed' one.  But that's fair enough.

Im not being controversial or argumentative as I do like Kingy a lot, but putting that aside and speaking from footballing terms he simply does not match up to James on any level other than goal scoring and can't see how you'd come to the conclusion we'd be better off with him in the team than James.

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Don't talk guff.

James - stronger

James - better heading

James - more committed

You have quite clearly listed what you think are James strengths so it not a fair Comparison .

How about....

Work rate ....King

Reading the game....King

Engine....King

Man Marking....King

Speed ....King

Creating space for others...King

I could go on.... I don't disagree with what you say are James strengths on the whole but there are a lot more attributes to a footballer that you have ignored.

What's it's safe to say is they are both different types of player who have their own strengths  and weaknesses.

3 hours ago, chicagofox said:

What substance you been taking?

Weed, Legal Highs, Mamba, Glue Sniffing?

Kingy and James play like experienced guys who know what they are doing and would at least prefer to pass forward than backwards.

They aren’t elite talents, but in this midfield that is worth something.

Choose "quantity vs quality", rinse, repeat -- or  choose "upgrade" and insert 15+ million euros.

6 hours ago, KingsX said:

Kingy and James play like experienced guys who know what they are doing and would at least prefer to pass forward than backwards.

They aren’t elite talents, but in this midfield that is worth something.

Choose "quantity vs quality", rinse, repeat -- or  choose "upgrade" and insert 15+ million euros.

Did you just say that King prefers to pass forwards.......:o:blink:

On 26/07/2017 at 11:08, Clever Fox said:

I'm certain we didn't buy Iborra to warm the Bench and NDiddi is a certain starter. I think DD and James have a battle to even make the team unless we're going to pack the midfield.

Pretty sure Iborra was bought as a bench warmer. 

I'd start DD and James too on pre-season form but there's still a long way to go (comparatively) before it's decided.

All 5 midfielders are neck and neck for me. Much of a muchness.

edit: and to be clear we play with 2 wingers - that is where the creativity is supposed to come from. The 2 CMs are there to try and stop us letting in goals.

I love it when people bang on about Andy Kings superior scoring record . Yes he's scored a lot of goals for a midfielder but that was in Division 1 and the Championship which is a whole different animal . Since being in the premiership he's scored 5 goals in 72 appearances in 3 seasons, hardly prolific . And to the people going on about the bit of skill against Luton Christ they are league 2 side . He's an above average league 1 championship player not a premier league  player.  

5 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I love it when people bang on about Andy Kings superior scoring record . Yes he's scored a lot of goals for a midfielder but that was in Division 1 and the Championship which is a whole different animal . Since being in the premiership he's scored 5 goals in 72 appearances in 3 seasons, hardly prolific . And to the people going on about the bit of skill against Luton Christ they are league 2 side . He's an above average league 1 championship player not a premier league  player.  

Regardless of what league it was in, King's game has changed all together. I seriously doubt he'd score as many as he used to even if he were in League One or Two. He's stopped everything he used to be great at, whether that's a coaching decision I'm not sure but given we're on our 3rd different manager since this stopped I'm doubtful. BIN

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Pretty sure Iborra was bought as a bench warmer. 

I'd start DD and James too on pre-season form but there's still a long way to go (comparatively) before it's decided.

All 5 midfielders are neck and neck for me. Much of a muchness.

edit: and to be clear we play with 2 wingers - that is where the creativity is supposed to come from. The 2 CMs are there to try and stop us letting in goals.

I'm not so sure you're right about Iborra. I think he was bought as much for his experience a bit like Cambiaso was. Although let's be clear he's no Cambiaso.

You are right about our Midfielders, there's not much to choose between them. The problem is none of them are leaders, Someone who dictate and guide the others. I think Iborra can do that job. But it may take a little time for him to adjust.

I'd love to see us play with two wingers but again I don't see that happening soon. Shakey seems to prefer to keep the opposition out first then go on the attack.  I think what we are more likely to see is two wide players either side of two central midfielders. For me, it would be Chilwell and Albrighton. Both are disciplined to defend when needed but also have the ability to get forward.

I think Maguire will make a great addition to the Team in that he can step out into midfield and win a lot of the Aerial balls we rarely win at present. But also to allow others to push on.

We still do need a creative player for the advanced role. If we can add that one player to the squad then I think we will have a very good season. Even if Mahrez goes, But I'd prefer him to stay.

With the addition of Iheanacho I think we'll have every base covered with the exception of Creativity.

Tension is building with time running out and only two weeks to go.

13 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Don't talk guff.

James - stronger

James - better heading

James - more committed

And doesn't go missing and mincing about for long periods of the game. On the odd occasion I listen to commentary you can go almost a whole half without hearing his name being mentioned sometimes. It's not all about postioning,  sometimes you actually have to touch the ball. Has done well for us but out of his depth now. James when fit contributes far more to a game.

37 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I'm not so sure you're right about Iborra. I think he was bought as much for his experience a bit like Cambiaso was. Although let's be clear he's no Cambiaso.

You are right about our Midfielders, there's not much to choose between them. The problem is none of them are leaders, Someone who dictate and guide the others. I think Iborra can do that job. But it may take a little time for him to adjust.

I'd love to see us play with two wingers but again I don't see that happening soon. Shakey seems to prefer to keep the opposition out first then go on the attack.  I think what we are more likely to see is two wide players either side of two central midfielders. For me, it would be Chilwell and Albrighton. Both are disciplined to defend when needed but also have the ability to get forward.

I think Maguire will make a great addition to the Team in that he can step out into midfield and win a lot of the Aerial balls we rarely win at present. But also to allow others to push on.

We still do need a creative player for the advanced role. If we can add that one player to the squad then I think we will have a very good season. Even if Mahrez goes, But I'd prefer him to stay.

With the addition of Iheanacho I think we'll have every base covered with the exception of Creativity.

Tension is building with time running out and only two weeks to go.

I'm not allowed to talk about Cambiasso, Iborra - I love his height and his experience, I still think he's been brought in as a bench player fighting for a starting place. 

When I said our wingers are supposed to be the creative players I'm talking about the players you call wide players. If Mahrez and Albrighton/Gray/Lawrence are not supposed to be the creative ones then what is the point in them actually playing? We may as well go 3:5:2 and then we can add a "creative" central midfield player. When you have 2 "wide players" the point of the 2 CMs is to cover their asses and the central defence.

I agree with you 100% about Maguire, I'd like to get another CB in too (Smalling or Gibson would be fine for me) and I think we desperately need another RB.

25 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

Over Ndidi?  That's insanity.  

Insanity is not playing the best midfielders we have at any one time. Wilf did well last season but he's not shown anything better than the others in pre-season. He does make some silly passes and fouls at times.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

Insanity is not playing the best midfielders we have at any one time. Wilf did well last season but he's not shown anything better than the others in pre-season. He does make some silly passes and fouls at times.

Youve lost your mind if you think we need to bench our best midfielder. Pre-season is fitness training. Starting James and DD in a two man midfield would be suicide. 

Archived