Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

A win against one of the big 3 teams we've faced was always unlikely. 

Prior to arsenal last month since our top flight return we had only 2 wins from 18 games against Arsenal, man utd and chelsea.

Shakey's progress really should be measured against teams we have something of a decent record against. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think it's about levels of expectation. Rightly or wrongly, I look at our squad and I'm expecting us to be lower half of the table. I don't think we're as good as people think we are and I maintain, our recruitment could have been much better.

Out of interest, if Silva came in now and everyone was fit would you still expect lower half of the table?

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think it's about levels of expectation. Rightly or wrongly, I look at our squad and I'm expecting us to be lower half of the table. I don't think we're as good as people think we are and I maintain, our recruitment could have been much better.

Phew, Thankfully order is restored and I disagree entirely (having silently agreed with you on a few posts recently).

For me we are underperforming with the resources / players available.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

True.

But I think we should take more from performances in those games rather than results.

Spurs last season was an exception, but so far under Shakespeare's leadership we have at least kept it tight and been in the match against these big clubs even if the result didn't go our way. With Claudio last season we offered nothing in those games.

It's a bit unfair to pinpoint subs as sole turning points in matches like the Arsenal one where I think theres more of a case of laying blame at the players feet for switching off. Or simply accepting the opposition had superior players and shit happens.

I'd go along with that. The logic behind the substitutions has been fine even though they haven't necessarily had a positive effect. Some of them were probably wrong and we can see that with hindsight, even though they made sense or even seemed overdue at the time. Others seemed questionable at the time. But it's hardly the defining problem of our season.

When a side has declined it's too easy to lash out at the manager but the decline was always going to happen unless we did incredibly well in the market, which we didn't in summer 2016 and we didn't on Deadline Day 2017 (neither of which, I'd guess, had much to do with the boss). The decline itself has more to do with psychological factors ('where do we go from here? I've done everything I could have hoped for at LCFC'), age (six of the title-winning eleven now being into, or well into their 30s) and the two key departures.

It doesn't mean to say we can't improve how we do business, reduce the age of the squad, build for the future. But if we focus on the substitutions of the current boss, or even on a sprinkling of bad performances, instead of thee factors, then we'll be failing to see the bigger picture.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

Phew, Thankfully order is restored and I disagree entirely (having silently agreed with you on a few posts recently).

Of those resources Waller we've been missing Huth, Iborra, Iheanacho,Drinky pre sale and now the Silva debacle. That is a big miss from our potential starting line up.

2 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Of those resources Waller we've been missing Huth, Iborra, Iheanacho,Drinky pre sale and now the Silva debacle. That is a big miss from our potential starting line up.

Very true...... we'll have a better picture in a month or two!!

• Like 1

I just feel like he gets a lot more stick based on who he is rather than what he's done. I know it sounds like victim mentality when people like Dyche say it but I do think there's an instinctive bias against English managers now. Say a new bloke had come in and done what we have so far, I reckon they'd be cut a lot more slack and rightly so. Shakespeare gets more stick because he's got Pearson links (who some people will always have it in for, rightly or wrongly (wrongly)) and because there's nothing fashionable about him.

I don't think he should be immune from criticism in the slightest, but I do think whatever he does wrong gets exaggerated. Are people really writing him and Leicester off based on four games, three of them against sides who'll contend for top four places (and two of them aiming for the title) whilst we're still well short in midfield through no fault of his own? I don't know, I think he gets a rough deal at times but I thought the same about Pearson.

If we succumb to a pathetic loss this weekend I'd be a bit less confident in him (and I worry it really would start to spread, vicious cycle with us having a habit of losing) but this Silva situation should not be overlooked. He had his best midfielder sold right at the death and the incompetent arsewipes behind the scenes failed to land his replacement.

It's far too early I think to be talking of getting rid. See where we are by the next two international breaks (Hudders A, Liverpool H, Bournemouth A.... then WBA H, Swansea A, Everton H, Stoke A) and I agree if we're still around here then there are issues.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just feel like he gets a lot more stick based on who he is rather than what he's done. I know it sounds like victim mentality when people like Dyche say it but I do think there's an instinctive bias against English managers now. Say a new bloke had come in and done what we have so far, I reckon they'd be cut a lot more slack and rightly so. Shakespeare gets more stick because he's got Pearson links (who some people will always have it in for, rightly or wrongly (wrongly)) and because there's nothing fashionable about him.

I don't think he should be immune from criticism in the slightest, but I do think whatever he does wrong gets exaggerated. Are people really writing him and Leicester off based on four games, three of them against sides who'll contend for top four places (and two of them aiming for the title) whilst we're still well short in midfield through no fault of his own? I don't know, I think he gets a rough deal at times but I thought the same about Pearson.

If we succumb to a pathetic loss this weekend I'd be a bit less confident in him (and I worry it really would start to spread, vicious cycle with us having a habit of losing) but this Silva situation should not be overlooked. He had his best midfielder sold right at the death and the incompetent arsewipes behind the scenes failed to land his replacement.

It's far too early I think to be talking of getting rid. See where we are by the next two international breaks (Hudders A, Liverpool H, Bournemouth A.... then WBA H, Swansea A, Everton H, Stoke A) and I agree if we're still around here then there are issues.

I'm still trying to gauge if he's anywhere near good enough. Since the honeymoon period our form at the back end of the season and then this season is poor. We've had a number of injury problems though which we never really used to get so it has got to be a factor. As you say we'll know more in the coming weeks/months when we play slightly easier teams and hopefully the mentality and confidence is still easy to find.

I've an urge for this club to make serious changes on and off the field, I think if we're truly the ambitious club we claim to be that it'll happen in the next 12-18 months when we realise that the success we had is never returning without going back to the drawing board.

This might be a simplistic and idealistic view because it's not easy to improve and change successfully but given what this club has shown it's capable of, I'd be horrified if we didn't back ourselves to be able to. 

I think our academy, recruitment, director of football, executives and in all honesty manager/coaches and playing staff and style needs a huge overhaul. The loyalty we have to some is understandable and they've given us the best few years we've ever had and possibly ever will have. But successful teams know when it's time to stick or twist and I've had the feeling for a while we need to twist. I'm appalled with our DOF and academy which has started to worry me that our owners aren't as clued up as we thought they are. They place a lot of trust in loyalty and honour but underachievement in football is unforgivable long term and we've people employed at this club in positions they aren't qualified or good enough for a PL team, a PL team that somehow won th fcuker not long ago.

We need to be ruthless and get in the very best off the field in recruitment, DOF and academy. I'd even be looking for a chief exec who has been at an elite club and knows what it takes to be established and stay established. We still have a golden reputation from our title win, with each season that passes we'll lose that and it'll be nigh on impossible to attract such personnel.

Then I'd look at our first team and it's management. This will always be the main focus and any changes no doubt will hit our manager, coaches and players if we struggle this season but they're the ones who have produced the tangible success and have bought the right for time but with a new senior off the field team we could then implement new plans to move this club forward. 

I'm sure this will be derided as being too idealistic and not achievable in the real world but we've never cared much as a club for what is realistic and what is not. 

Twist.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

A win against one of the big 3 teams we've faced was always unlikely. 

Prior to arsenal last month since our top flight return we had only 2 wins from 18 games against Arsenal, man utd and chelsea.

Shakey's progress really should be measured against teams we have something of a decent record against. 

Why? 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm still trying to gauge if he's anywhere near good enough. Since the honeymoon period our form at the back end of the season and then this season is poor. We've had a number of injury problems though which we never really used to get so it has got to be a factor. As you say we'll know more in the coming weeks/months when we play slightly easier teams and hopefully the mentality and confidence is still easy to find.

I've an urge for this club to make serious changes on and off the field, I think if we're truly the ambitious club we claim to be that it'll happen in the next 12-18 months when we realise that the success we had is never returning without going back to the drawing board.

This might be a simplistic and idealistic view because it's not easy to improve and change successfully but given what this club has shown it's capable of, I'd be horrified if we didn't back ourselves to be able to. 

I think our academy, recruitment, director of football, executives and in all honesty manager/coaches and playing staff and style needs a huge overhaul. The loyalty we have to some is understandable and they've given us the best few years we've ever had and possibly ever will have. But successful teams know when it's time to stick or twist and I've had the feeling for a while we need to twist. I'm appalled with our DOF and academy which has started to worry me that our owners aren't as clued up as we thought they are. They place a lot of trust in loyalty and honour but underachievement in football is unforgivable long term and we've people employed at this club in positions they aren't qualified or good enough for a PL team, a PL team that somehow won th fcuker not long ago.

We need to be ruthless and get in the very best off the field in recruitment, DOF and academy. I'd even be looking for a chief exec who has been at an elite club and knows what it takes to be established and stay established. We still have a golden reputation from our title win, with each season that passes we'll lose that and it'll be nigh on impossible to attract such personnel.

Then I'd look at our first team and it's management. This will always be the main focus and any changes no doubt will hit our manager, coaches and players if we struggle this season but they're the ones who have produced the tangible success and have bought the right for time but with a new senior off the field team we could then implement new plans to move this club forward. 

I'm sure this will be derided as being too idealistic and not achievable in the real world but we've never cared much as a club for what is realistic and what is not. 

Twist.

Right on! 

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Twist.

I agree with the majority of that to be honest. I think in terms of infrastructure we're behind where we should be, and I'll take pelters for this but I'm still not convinced the owners are totally sure about what will actually make us successful over a longer period. The title win was amazing but you can't say it was planned for in the slightest. We won it completely out of the blue, four weeks before the season we were panicking looking for a manager for fvcks sake lol 

I maintain what I've said on here for ages, that the bulk of our success was down to the footballing infrastructure we had under Pearson. He wasn't perfect, but he had this club organised in that regard and I think the owners have kind of taken a lot of it for granted. I think if it isn't sorted then it will eventually relegate us. I've lost faith in our ability to replenish ourselves.

Regarding Shakespeare himself I think it's too early to write him off. I'll concede it hasn't been great since that opening few games but he's had a lot go against him as well. This Silva business the prime example. If we have Silva and Iborra fit and we're still seeing King feature I'll concede he's the wrong man.

Edited by Dan LCFC

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:11, 5waller5 said:

You need some serious help agreeing with anything Col says is bad enough. But your even nuts enough to admit you agreed with him lollol 

• Haha 1

On 13/09/2017 at 01:39, EnglishOxide said:

True.

And I'm utterly baffled by it.

Here's a man that has played a significant part in us winning 3 leagues, reaching the Champions League quarter finals and avoiding relegation twice.

And people don't want to give him more than say 7 or 8 games? They're not real fans IMO. Show some support and stop judging the bloke on results against teams like United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Well said, totally agree with you. IMO Shakey will do a good job and I believe we will finish top 8. If the owners do get rid of Shakey there is no one I can think of to replace him. I want Shakey to stay. All those so called fans that don't think he is good enough Shakey will prove you all wrong. 

I'm not totally convinced everything can be laid at his feet. On the pitch it's been a mixed bag, there has been some good performances, the actual poor performances by the team have been out numbered by the ones where we have just set up wrong or have made tactical errors.  I'm hoping he learns from that.

I think us winning the league caused us to deviate from the plan for the club that was in place and we've struggled to adjust generally.

Part of our problems is that theirs to many staff recruits learning on the job.As demonstrated by the Silva fiasco. Having said that you can't blame Shakey for any of that. He's also been hampered by injuries upsetting his plans. Until he has a full squad for selection it's hard to criticise him, especially with the Teams we played against. But I do have issues with his style of play. We're in no way balanced as a Team and that's one of the fundamental requirements of successful Teams. He's expecting too much from Vardy and Mahrez, And could be part of the reason Mahrez want's out. They both need more support when in possession. That's why you need players good on the Ball with a bit of pace. Maybe when the new players get settled we might see more continuity. But it's way too early questioning Shakey's  performance as Manager and Coach.

• Like 1

OK, I'm officially on the "start gray over albrighton" brigade!

For all his upsides, he doesn't offer enough going forward (talking about Marc), and in a team where the fullbacks/CMs aren't offering much going forward, I would take gray over Marc any day of the week!

All shakey needs is to find a way to ease the defensive duties on the wingers, they aren't getting enough support going forward so why are they offering so much defensively? If the fullbacks/CMs aren't gonna offer much help going forward, the least they can do is defend.