Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

2 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

My gripe at this stage - where he has been handicapped by injuries admittedly - is that he's not following his own mantra when he got the job initially last season.

To paraphrase him : we need to concentrate on what we are good at and not the opposition, and play on the front foot.

Since the CL exit, generally I don't that has been the case.

I also remember when he was fishing for the job that he said 'I like my teams to play with flair'

Even at the time I remember thinking, 'really mate? do ya?'

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I also remember when he was fishing for the job that he said 'I like my teams to play with flair'

Yeah and when you consider he was making the team tactics for Pearson; and think of first six months back in the PL there is a correlation.

Only time will tell - but he needs to get back to being more positive and proactive.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

You could be forgiven for believing that, after his first game in charge against Liverpool at home last Feb. One of Leicester's best display of football I have ever seen.

What really gets to me at the moment is that (bar Drinky) we have more or less the same squad...if not better (on paper). ...and when I hear Vards and Kingy say they left everything on the pitch last Saturday i think..."oh yeah?   compare yourselves to the team that tore Liverpool apart last season after Ranieri was sacked"   Where's that team??  (I was watching the highlights of that match the other day. It seems like light years away, and yet it was only last Feb)

Is Shakey to blame for what I would see as complacency creeping into the team ? imo... I'm afraid so! 

If we lose to Huddersfield I think Shakey may be following De Boer as the next to lose his job in the PL!.

2 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I like my shoes to have 3 inch stiletto heals, but I'm still more comfortable in my converse. :D 

• Haha 1

Obviously a great coach and respected but we had him anyway.

Keeping him as a coach but given more clout and employing a football person above him was what I hoped for. General manager type not a DF who knows little about the playing game ie Rudkin.

We have lost a lot of football brain at the club. I worry he's exposed with little knowledgeable support.

3 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Obviously a great coach and respected but we had him anyway.

Keeping him as a coach but given more clout and employing a football person above him was what I hoped for. General manager type not a DF who knows little about the playing game ie Rudkin.

We have lost a lot of football brain at the club. I worry he's exposed with little knowledgeable support.

We've not really heard much about Appleton and his support for Shakey..... 

Benitez would be brilliant for us... Experienced Manager with a great track record.. He'd be my choice. 

Hope Shakey is the right one but he's been dealt a bum hand over Silva and injuries

I don't see any creativity from midfield and little hope of any ( there wasn't much last year)

I feel the club needs a makeover in personnel particularly DOF plus scouting 

we don't seem to have a clue no negotiating skills etc

I feel that until this is remedied Shakey will not flourish 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fairbanksh said:

Hope Shakey is the right one but he's been dealt a bum hand over Silva and injuries

I don't see any creativity from midfield and little hope of any ( there wasn't much last year)

I feel the club needs a makeover in personnel particularly DOF plus scouting 

we don't seem to have a clue no negotiating skills etc

I feel that until this is remedied Shakey will not flourish 

We've had bad luck to be fair.  Drinkwater was due a good season, imagine if he'd been playing and playing well.

We've had no real experience in CM, but that could all change soon.  If Iborra turns out decent we're a lot stronger.  If Silva comes in and is as good as we hope he is i think we can be optimistic

Also, I really think Nacho might just be that strike partner for Vardy we've been looking for for a year

3 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

My gripe at this stage is where he has been handicapped by injuries admittedly - is that he's not following his own mantra when he got the job initially last season.

To paraphrase him : we need to concentrate on what we are good at and not the opposition, and play on the front foot.

Since the CL exit, generally I don't that has been the case. he didn't drop mahrez

Let's be real, NTML. That's probably the true reason lol

4 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

It wasn't Rudkin that made those mad substitutions against Arsenal or took to long to bring Iheanacho on last Saturday.

True. But may be he sanctioned the departures of Drinkwater and Mendy before making sure we could sign Silva before the deadline, leaving us somewhat short in this area?

Edited by mozartfox
WHY NOT

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

True. But may be he sanctioned the departures of Drinkwater and Mendy before making sure we could sign Silva before the deadline, leaving us somewhat short in this area?

This thread is about Shakespeare, he alone is responsible for the subs against Arsenal.

Granted the lack of decent attacking midfielders may have had some impact on Saturday's game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

This thread is about Shakespeare, he alone is responsible for the subs against Arsenal.

Granted the lack of decent attacking midfielders may have had some impact on Saturday's game.

If you intend to  start policing the content and the relevance of all responses to individual threads on FT, wack your notice in now to your employers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, the fox said:

Let's be real, NTML. That's probably the true reason lol

Well I have to admit that would have been preferable.

If he's not dropped him by now he never will do don't worry - I'll just keep tearing my hair out every game.

Its a wonder I've got any hair left watching that bloke! 

In mitigation against all my comments against Riyad, he did play very well I thought once.

Oh yes I remember against Brighton.

Lets see what happens on Saturday! 

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Haven't had much to go on. I don't buy the "tough start" rubbish because Stoke have played Everton, Manchester United and Arsenal and got 4 points BUT I didn't expect anything, realistically, from Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea anyway. Brighton isn't much of a yard stick because they're new and I think they'll slowly improve but had we not beaten them I'd be more worried.

Surely it's either one or the other. I'm not sure how anyoen can say it hasn't been a tough. Start, yes stoke picked up points... it happens sometimes, just like it did with us and Man City and Arsenal last season, but we were still absolutely gubbins and going down until we got rid of Claudio. Sometimes things go well and you'll get points, most of the time you won't though. That's why those teams end up top 6 and Stoke will be mid table.

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

The jury has always been out for me, I don't think he's changed enough especially our style of play, but the next three/four/five games we will hopefully get a better idea. Huddersfield, Bournemouth, West Brom and Swansea (ignoring the Liverpool game which is winnable anyway) are certainly on the "easier" side.

The jury should be out for everyone, the list of teams we've lost against on the previous page says it all really. As you say, it's what comes from the games against the other teams that matters.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Surely it's either one or the other. I'm not sure how anyoen can say it hasn't been a tough. Start, yes stoke picked up points... it happens sometimes, just like it did with us and Man City and Arsenal last season, but we were still absolutely gubbins and going down until we got rid of Claudio. Sometimes things go well and you'll get points, most of the time you won't though. That's why those teams end up top 6 and Stoke will be mid table.

The jury should be out for everyone, the list of teams we've lost against on the previous page says it all really. As you say, it's what comes from the games against the other teams that matters.

It's not one or the other, it's both for me and that's fine. I didn't expect anything but then again we were in a winning position at Arsenal and we bottled it and Shakespeare made a daft change too. I walked away from the Emirates disappointed because I felt like we dropped two points. Expectation changes sometimes. We wen to Old Trafford and just contained, basically waiting for them to score. I said in the summer this is what we did last season in big games under Shakespeare and it didn't work. 

Not bothered about the list of teams we've lost too... half of them were last season. It's no relevance to this season at all. Shakespeare's still got a way to go to fully impress, a change in style of play would be nice. It's okay beating the likes of Brighton but we're not going to do anything with that apart from end up mid table every season. 

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's not one or the other, it's both for me and that's fine. I didn't expect anything but then again we were in a winning position at Arsenal and we bottled it and Shakespeare made a daft change too. I walked away from the Emirates disappointed because I felt like we dropped two points. Expectation changes sometimes. We wen to Old Trafford and just contained, basically waiting for them to score. I said in the summer this is what we did last season in big games under Shakespeare and it didn't work. 

Not bothered about the list of teams we've lost too... half of them were last season. It's no relevance to this season at all. Shakespeare's still got a way to go to fully impress, a change in style of play would be nice. It's okay beating the likes of Brighton but we're not going to do anything with that apart from end up mid table every season. 

That's all we are going to do unless the owners put money in and there looks like they aren't going to. It's nigh on impossible to do anything else consistently without huge investment.

Just now, Babylon said:

That's all we are going to do unless the owners put money in and there looks like they aren't going to. It's nigh on impossible to do anything else consistently without huge investment.

Southampton finished 7th and then 6th (?). Mainly because they lost good players but got in better players and had two superb managers in that time in Pochettino and Koeman. 

1st - 6th is probably settled but top 10 isn't impossible consistently. Stoke finished 9th for three years running.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

how much money will the owners spend when the manager is still picking the players of 3 years ago and their signings sit on the bench, if then even make that?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Well I have to admit that would have been preferable.

If he's not dropped him by now he never will do don't worry - I'll just keep tearing my hair out every game.

Its a wonder I've got any hair left watching that bloke! 

In mitigation against all my comments against Riyad, he did play very well I thought once.

Oh yes I remember against Brighton.

Lets see what happens on Saturday! 

Think Saturday is the real test, it isn't a big club so he should have no problem doing some damage, but if he doesn't, you should consider a wig or something lol

• Like 1

Thought we should have gone for Marco Silva personally. Really want Shakespeare to do well but he just doesn't seem to be able to read the game tactically. He set us up well on Saturday and i was really surprised at that. I was really happy with how we played and think we were unlucky at half time. Then he once again made awful baffling substitutions that were unnecessary at best and we looked awful. I don't understand the thought process behind the changes.

• Like 2