Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

On 9/10/2017 at 11:41, Tuna said:

Shakey deserves his opportunity but it's not his fault we botched the Silva transfer nor is it his fault we've played 3 top 6 sides in the first 4.

Problem is I think that due to his inexperience, the owners will dismiss him fairly quickly if things look like they are going wrong and won't be afforded the time a more experienced man would expect.

It's been a disappointing start but not unexpected, I expected 3 or 4 points from these fixtures and we've got 3.

Huddersfield will be a barometer of where we can expect to go this season. We are a better team than them and need to go out and show it next week. I hope he has a good gameplan.

I can however forsee a scenario where Shakey will be under extreme pressure if we get to Bournemouth away and haven't picked up any more points.

I agree Skipjack ...   and its not his fault Iborra aint fit, DD got sold and Mahrez is still here (which, however well he plays has got to be unsettling for the rest of the team, imo).   When he gets all his players to pick from and we get a bit of confidence after picking up a few wins things should change.    Don't forget what this man did when he was appointed ...   if it wasn't for him we may well be in the Championship playing the likes of fookin Direby every week.   I hope the owners (and people on here!) can just keep the faith and give him a fair crack of the whip.   I'm not saying he's perfect but for me he's the best man for the job at the moment ...    chopping and changing managers can have a  disastrous effect on the team/club and should not happen unless there is absolutely no alternative.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Let's get a big name in, somebody like Frank de Boe.......oh wait...

Frank de Boer never had a chance with that squad. Palace board are twats and have absolutely no direction. De Boer is the scapegoat. I feel for the players now that Woy is apparently coming in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Frank de Boer never had a chance with that squad. Palace board are twats and have absolutely no direction. De Boer is the scapegoat. I feel for the players now that Woy is apparently coming in.

Frank De Boar never had a chance at Palace.  He openly admitted when Palace were playing in the pre season cup with us, Wba, Liverpool that he was trying to get Palace to change their style of play and be more of a passing team.  They interviewed Zaha and Townsend and they both agreed the manager wanted them to play more attractive football and not long ball which they had always been use to.

Having a Chairman like Steve Parrish they reap what they sow.  If its Woy may god be with them.

• Like 1

The problem with CS is that we want to move forward as a club but his decisions to this point have been very Pearson-esque in the way he has approached games - especially when factoring in his tactical changes, which for the most part have had a detrimental "damage limitation" feel to them.

He's had his bad luck with injuries, and replacements in midfield which haven't helped, but those considerations aside, he's done about just enough for me in terms of what he's had at his disposal.

This could all change in 3 games time though, starting with Huddersfield, we need something from the game.  A loss and it's looking decidedly dodgy for him imo.

1 hour ago, m4DD0gg said:

Verdict is still out for me but slowly loosing faith with each game and the bizarre tactics, subs and selections.

Me too.

I think his first priority is to avoid the sack and so he wants to avoid a beating...  this is why he didnt chase the game on sat   and why he wanted to sit back against the arse

Too early to say get rid, especially with all that's gone on. He has made errors but he's been quite unlucky as well really. Awful run of games and has still not had a midfield with the right names available.

See how things look when October hits.

Edited by Dan LCFC

Haven't had much to go on. I don't buy the "tough start" rubbish because Stoke have played Everton, Manchester United and Arsenal and got 4 points BUT I didn't expect anything, realistically, from Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea anyway. Brighton isn't much of a yard stick because they're new and I think they'll slowly improve but had we not beaten them I'd be more worried.

The jury has always been out for me, I don't think he's changed enough especially our style of play, but the next three/four/five games we will hopefully get a better idea. Huddersfield, Bournemouth, West Brom and Swansea (ignoring the Liverpool game which is winnable anyway) are certainly on the "easier" side.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

If he doesn't get 5/6 points out of next 9 then I'm afraid the clock will be ticking it will only be time 

If he does get sacked, then Rudkin needs go too (if not sooner following the Silva fiasco).

Edited by mozartfox
why not

And if he gets sacked, who would you want to replace him? 

Yes, I'm a little concerned as we had poor form at the very end of last season. Yes, we were leading against Arsenal although we have played 3 of the top 6 teams last season.

However I don't think we should get on his back at the moment. We need to support him and the team.  Shakey's demonstrated he can get the best out of the players we have at our disposal. He just needs to remember we're a team who plays best on the front foot. Let's see where we are after 10 games, not 4.

It isn't so much the fact we have lost to the teams that we have, it is the strange decision making of Shakespeare that worries the most because I think it exposes his inexperience. Going straight into managing a prem club is a big ask by any standard. His substitutions and change of tactics mid game have been way off on more than one occasion this season already.

My gripe at this stage - where he has been handicapped by injuries admittedly - is that he's not following his own mantra when he got the job initially last season.

To paraphrase him : we need to concentrate on what we are good at and not the opposition, and play on the front foot.

Since the CL exit, generally I don't see that has been the case.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 3