Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

LCFC Internationals 2017/18

Tell us something we don’t already know Gareth 

Gareth Southgate: Some players in England squad 'do not deserve to be there'

Gareth Southgate has made the frank admission that there are players in his current England squad who “do not deserve to be there”, with injuries having opened the door to some who have barely figured his season.

The England manager made his remarks after naming a 26-man squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia next Thursday and Lithuania three days later which included Fabian Delph and Jesse Lingard. Delph has played 20 minutes of Premier League football for Manchester City and like Lingard is yet to start a league game for his club – although Southgate did not specify to whom he was referring.

England will qualify for the 2018 tournament in Russia if they win their first of the two qualifiers at Wembley, although Southgate estimated that he had as many as 12 players missing through injury or sheer lack of game time. Southgate also revealed that he tried unsuccessfully to talk James Milner out of international retirement when he took over the England job one year ago.

Southgate said: “It's frustrating because the biggest story here is we've got about 12 players missing with injury. It's incredible. If you were to say, 'Am I entirely happy with the squad I've named?' then no, because we've got too many good players missing with injury.

The consequence of that is you could well argue there are one or two in the squad who haven't necessarily warranted it on their performances. I want competition for places and this time maybe we've not be able to achieve that because of the number of injuries.”

He named Danny Rose, Adam Lallana, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck, Nathaniel Chalobah, Ross Barkley, Tom Heaton, Nathaniel Clyne and Danny Drinkwater among those unavailable with Jack Wilshere and Luke Shaw having had insufficient game-time at their clubs.

Edited by davieG
font size increased

12 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Tell us something we don’t already know Gareth 

Gareth Southgate: Some players in England squad 'do not deserve to be there'

Gareth Southgate has made the frank admission that there are players in his current England squad who “do not deserve to be there”, with injuries having opened the door to some who have barely figured his season.

The England manager made his remarks after naming a 26-man squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia next Thursday and Lithuania three days later which included Fabian Delph and Jesse Lingard. Delph has played 20 minutes of Premier League football for Manchester City and like Lingard is yet to start a league game for his club – although Southgate did not specify to whom he was referring.

England will qualify for the 2018 tournament in Russia if they win their first of the two qualifiers at Wembley, although Southgate estimated that he had as many as 12 players missing through injury or sheer lack of game time. Southgate also revealed that he tried unsuccessfully to talk James Milner out of international retirement when he took over the England job one year ago.

Southgate said: “It's frustrating because the biggest story here is we've got about 12 players missing with injury. It's incredible. If you were to say, 'Am I entirely happy with the squad I've named?' then no, because we've got too many good players missing with injury.

The consequence of that is you could well argue there are one or two in the squad who haven't necessarily warranted it on their performances. I want competition for places and this time maybe we've not be able to achieve that because of the number of injuries.”

He named Danny Rose, Adam Lallana, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck, Nathaniel Chalobah, Ross Barkley, Tom Heaton, Nathaniel Clyne and Danny Drinkwater among those unavailable with Jack Wilshere and Luke Shaw having had insufficient game-time at their clubs.

So didn't think of Albrighton who can and does play a similar role?

• Like 1

Not interested in International's one bit, they're an bleeding inconvenience as far as i'm concerned but I've just seen this;

Algeria have dropped African Footballer of the Year Riyad Mahrez and his Leicester City team mate Islam Slimani from the squad for next weekend’s World Cup qualifier against Cameroon.

The pair are major victims of a clear out of the squad announced on Sunday after Algeria suffered home and away defeats against Zambia in their last qualifiers to end their hopes of reaching next year’s finals in Russia.

:giggle:

Pull ya socks up lads.

Edited by Matt

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not interested in International's one bit, they're an bleeding inconvenience as far as i'm concerned but I've just seen this;

:giggle:

Pull ya socks up lads.

so that's Mahrez, Slimani, Vardy & Okazaki all with a chance to have a couple of week's rest or just training. if they play against West Brom, I expect them to be 100% fit!

• Like 1

Vardy, Okazaki, Slimani, and Mahrez are not involved with their national teams. Neither is Adrien Silva but he may or may not actually play for us anyway. Academy CB Darnell Johnson is in the U20s with Barnes and George Thomas is with Wales U21s. My hard cutoff for the table is those with senior appearances for us. We could have the leading St. Kittitian and/or Nevisian scorer in the Academy for all I know. Morgan hasn't been called up to Jamaica for over a year and it looks like they've gone to an all island born squad.

59d2f7fc53ac9_ScreenShot2017-10-02at10_37_17PM.png.3de2e0e2bc0a04fe0930974f94849479.png

• Like 2

On 28/09/2017 at 12:07, kushiro said:

Wow. Shinji has been left out of the Japan squad for the forthcoming friendlies. Could be boss halilhodzic just wants to give younger players a chance, as hasebe and Honda are also omitted. Chances are shinji will be back for the two friendlies in France in November against Brazil and Belgium, the venue presumably chosen for the benefit of the European based players who make up half the squad.

Iheanacho and Slimani will be pleased

5 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Vardy, Okazaki, Slimani, and Mahrez are not involved with their national teams. Neither is Adrien Silva but he may or may not actually play for us anyway. Academy CB Darnell Johnson is in the U20s with Barnes and George Thomas is with Wales U21s. My hard cutoff for the table is those with senior appearances for us. We could have the leading St. Kittitian and/or Nevisian scorer in the Academy for all I know. Morgan hasn't been called up to Jamaica for over a year and it looks like they've gone to an all island born squad.

59d2f7fc53ac9_ScreenShot2017-10-02at10_37_17PM.png.3de2e0e2bc0a04fe0930974f94849479.png

And out of those listed only 4 get regular first team football at Leicester Schmeichel, Maguire, Ndidi and King. Shakespare doesn't obviously rate the rest.

Edited by Foxes1

Barnes got 10 mins in a 5-1 win against Italy U20 (blimey... hope all these younger age group teams end up being this shit, we'll be winning tournaments for YEARS!) Johnson didn't make it off the bench.

Commentators have made me turn Wales off, coming out with old clichés like 'theres still twenty minutes to go plus added time', because that doesnt usually happen now does it? And 'Georgia will get plenty of chances in this yet', its all Wales and has been all half, Georgia dont look fussed or talented enough to be going.

Edited by SpazticChicken