Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

It's good as well because they're a prominent supporter of safe standing. Their stature in the game holds a lot of weight... 

Absolutely. They've been advocates for a long time and I seem to remember they had an application refused a few years ago. Palace will be the next to make an application imo, if they get it granted (no reason they shouldn't, again it's not illegal and is safer than what we have now), that 20% of the Premier League with rail seating areas already. 

6 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

They'll change one of the existing sections like SK1 (or an equivalent).

Absolutely nailed on we will be last to do it. But yes once we actually just accept it and get over it. Ie they tie it in with the stadium redevelopment its SK1 that gets it.

No way they run the risk of making L1 standing full time.

What will be really interesting based on pretty much all away following standing at most games across the board, is any club gonna change away ends.

I guess not, but it would be a huge step in any did.

3 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Absolutely nailed on we will be last to do it. But yes once we actually just accept it and get over it. Ie they tie it in with the stadium redevelopment its SK1 that gets it.

If it's SK1 then it means people in SK2 near SK1, who would be entitled to sit, wouldn't be able to see the right hand side of the pitch (from their viewpoint). It would need to be in the corner, G1 and some of SK1, but then it would be limited to only about 2,000.

Better option would be, as Shrewsbury have done, to convert the back x amount of rows of the whole south stand, the initial amount of rows depending on demand, and then convert more rows over time with the intention of eventually having the entire end with rail seats (as Spurs and Wolves currently have) in readiness for when standing is officially allowed, which is only a matter of time.

Those that don't want to stand would need to, in the short term, relocate to seats further forward vacated by those moving back to the rail seats (and long term elsewhere in the stadium). 

Ultimately, even if the whole stand is standing it would only be around 20% of the overall capacity (assuming expansion to 40,000+) so is not an unreasonably large proportion as a whole. 

Having said that, unfortunately as we seem to be the only Premier league club that's not shown any interest or support for any standing, I wouldn't be surprised if the club have no intention whatsoever to install it. 

They had a great opportunity to try something different with the Birmingham Cup game (as I mentioned in the Wigan standing section topic) but chose the same as usual to hand over the most vocal part of the ground to the away fans, with no attempt to  compensate for it, and so the atmosphere will be terrible. It once again demonstrates the lack of interest from the club in being proactive in trying to breathe some life back into the stadium. 

Edited by Snik-Snok
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lako42 said:

I'm all for standing areas as I currently stand all game. 

But those who seem to think that standing = better atmosphere are sadly incorrect.

True, up and down the country 1000's stand in silence.  I guess if stadiums introduce safe standing areas and sell them as singing sections this would help, i do wonder if safe standing gets introduced to English grounds that it will be small areas and will actually reduce the amount of standing at football matches.  Look at old Trafford thinking of introducing a 1500 safe standing area...they must have 10000+ standing each week.  Maybe most will trial it then expand the areas and we'll see whole ends in each stadiums with safe standing.

Guest Markyblue
8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

True, up and down the country 1000's stand in silence.  I guess if stadiums introduce safe standing areas and sell them as singing sections this would help, i do wonder if safe standing gets introduced to English grounds that it will be small areas and will actually reduce the amount of standing at football matches.  Look at old Trafford thinking of introducing a 1500 safe standing area...they must have 10000+ standing each week.  Maybe most will trial it then expand the areas and we'll see whole ends in each stadiums with safe standing.

I think a standing area introduced to a previous seated area would attract people who want to sing to a certain extent. 

18 hours ago, Bayfox said:

No way they run the risk of making L1 standing full time.

What will be really interesting based on pretty much all away following standing at most games across the board, is any club gonna change away ends.

I guess not, but it would be a huge step in any did.

I'd have thought Liverpool will be last, for obvious reasons.

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'd have thought Liverpool will be last, for obvious reasons.

88% of Liverpool supporters are in favour of it and the Hillsborough Justice campaign have also backed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/31/liverpool-fans-88pc-safe-standing-rail-seating-spirit-of-shankly

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/28/members-hillsborough-justice-campaign-come-support-safe-standing-premier-league-7667322/

Margaret Aspinall, of the Hillsborough families group, is about the only big voice still being quoted as a Liverpool voice against it - and she's opposing it in ignorance of the fact that thousands persistently stand at Anfield as things are.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

88% of Liverpool supporters are in favour of it and the Hillsborough Justice campaign have also backed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/31/liverpool-fans-88pc-safe-standing-rail-seating-spirit-of-shankly

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/28/members-hillsborough-justice-campaign-come-support-safe-standing-premier-league-7667322/

Margaret Aspinall, of the Hillsborough families group, is about the only big voice still being quoted as a Liverpool voice against it - and she's opposing it in ignorance of the fact that thousands persistently stand at Anfield as things are.

88% of Liverpool fans already stand!

I'd be genuinely interested in how many of our home crowd would actually want to go in a standing area.

It's true that LCFC have been in the rearguard of this, but is there anything in the argument that that's just because at the moment there are only a few hundred people who stand in front of their seats persistently at the KP, even for European/big games?

It's a massive contrast with the situation at Man Utd, where you have thousands doing it every game.

Just now, leicesterseddon said:

I'd be genuinely interested in how many of our home crowd would actually want to go in a standing area.

It's true that LCFC have been in the rearguard of this, but is there anything in the argument that that's just because at the moment there are only a few hundred people who stand in front of their seats persistently at the KP, even for European/big games?

It's a massive contrast with the situation at Man Utd, where you have thousands doing it every game.

I think there’s a number of reasons for this.

Until a few years ago you’d be roughly ejected from the stadium for standing even for a few minutes so the growth of standing fans has been slow to overcome that and of course it’s still considered ‘ illegal”

The Kop which would traditionally have been full of standing fans is currently occupied quite by a lot of fans that were encouraged to move there from the Double Decker at Filbert St.

The Kop also attracts many fans who prefer to sit as that stand is the cheapest.

Standing fans from previous history have tended to migrate to an area next to the away fans as in L1 the current stadium is splitting the standing population which could well inhibit it’s growth especially if you take into account the other factors.

Standing fans tend to be younger fans who due to the current restrictions on availability, cost and being all ticket games is severely restricting this demographic.

I’m sure there are other reasons.

3 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

Even by clubs shite survey that they claim only 5% wanted it that's over 1600 people. Even if you suggest that's  a minority it really should be a minority that should probably be heard if the law allows it moving forward.

• Like 2

When you considered that football crowds used to be probably around  90% standing. Filbert St was all standing in the Kop, North and East (Popular side) and the Enclosure section in front of the Main Stand with just seating in the rear of the Main Stand and the top of the Double Decker and that with crowds in the high end 30ks sometimes even 40K+.

The situation has become almost the exact reverse.

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

When you considered that football crowds used to be probably around  90% standing. Filbert St was all standing in the Kop, North and East (Popular side) and the Enclosure section in front of the Main Stand with just seating in the rear of the Main Stand and the top of the Double Decker and that with crowds in the high end 30ks sometimes even 40K+.

The situation has become almost the exact reverse.

That's only because of the circumstances though post Taylor report and ground move. If the Kop was all standing now it would still be full. 

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

That's only because of the circumstances though post Taylor report and ground move. If the Kop was all standing now it would still be full. 

Oh I agree I was just trying, probably failing to show that seating is a modern phenomena like you say brought about by the Tayloer Report and I'm sure given the opportunity and time we would see many more standing.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Oh I agree I was just trying, probably failing to show that seating is a modern phenomena like you say brought about by the Tayloer Report and I'm sure given the opportunity and time we would see many more standing.

Yeah, it's just become the cultural norm to sit at home games. I know of a lot of people who love standing and getting amongst it at away games but then at home games sit down in parts of the ground with zero atmosphere, it's strange.