Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Have you ever tried to get people to sign a petition for anything before? You'd really struggle to get the numbers stopping that you think are feasible on a matchday, and even less would give you the time of day to explain what you're actually advocating.

Yeah I appreciate how difficult this would be to do, but Leicester fans stopping to talk to people outside the ground is hardly like a salesman. 

You could approach starbucks, the bar over the road from the ground and places like that to distribute surveys or something similar.

Approaching people was the first idea I thought of. It's not easy, but it's deffo not impossible. 

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm not claiming to be a data scientist, but I sat there for 5 days watching the responses come in and they were pretty steady, actually with a bit of pick up of support towards the end. The killer factor would be if they asked people who would actually consider using it, or everyone. If you sit down and would like to continue sitting down, that's cool, but it would suck if those people denied people wanting to stand safely the chance to do so. 

I agree, if you want to stand there should be an area safe to do so and if you want to sit, there should also be a safe area to do so.

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Have you ever tried to get people to sign a petition for anything before? You'd really struggle to get the numbers stopping that you think are feasible on a matchday, and even less would give you the time of day to explain what you're actually advocating.

I agree, however if you want to get the club to engage, you going to need more support to get on their agenda.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

I agree, if you want to stand there should be an area safe to do so and if you want to sit, there should also be a safe area to do so.

I agree, however if you want to get the club to engage, you going to need more support to get on their agenda.

You would think fan safety would be high up on their agenda, but apparently not.

Just now, purpleronnie said:

You would think fan safety would be high up on their agenda, but apparently not.

They are meeting the health and safety standards require by law, why do you consider that fan safety is not high on their agenda.

Do you have any fact to support that the current provision at the KP is unsafe.

16 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

And there it is. No more hiding for LCFC now, time to put their money where their mouth is! 

4 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Well done Wolves, a superb run football club who listen to the fans. They are showing most clubs up, including us (on and off the pitch).

Reading the article, they did it because they needed to replace the seating as they're at end of life.. All they've done at an opportunistic time is gone for an option that means they have a bit of flexibility if the law changes. Key being the laws actually have to change to use them in the standing capacity. Would refitting large parts of your stadium at cost for a law that isn't past be worth it, when the existing seats are ok?

I'd assume our club will follow suit if we need to change our seating for similar reasons or the laws change rather than hey look at Wolves really being listening to their fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

They are meeting the health and safety standards require by law, why do you consider that fan safety is not high on their agenda.

Do you have any fact to support that the current provision at the KP is unsafe.

You think fans standing in front of seats without a barrier is safer?

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Taking a club from the Championship to the PL title, is the biggest PR coup they could have every achieved.

Putting in safe stand wouldn't even register, unless you're interested in the topic, Wolves news hardly has the world captivated?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant in relation to the stuff I was on about in my post. The club like to be seen as being responsible when the atmosphere is good, but when it's not they deny there's a problem.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Yeah I appreciate how difficult this would be to do, but Leicester fans stopping to talk to people outside the ground is hardly like a salesman. 

You could approach starbucks, the bar over the road from the ground and places like that to distribute surveys or something similar.

Approaching people was the first idea I thought of. It's not easy, but it's deffo not impossible. 

Having helped UFS distribute leaflets about the planned five-minute boycott before Arsenal away in 2016, I can safely say most people don't see it that way. Barely one in 10 stopped to take a leaflet and even less wanted to know what the leaflet was about.

Edited by Voll Blau

58 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Having helped UFS distribute leaflets about the planned five-minute boycott before Arsenal away in 2016, I can safely say most people don't see it that way. Barely one in 10 stopped to take a leaflet and even less wanted to know what the leaflet was about.

Well that's kinda shitty, but there are ways to get this out there, it's just a shit show to get it to where you need. 

Had a similar issue with my 3rd year dissertation, it's one thing making a survey to pass the ethics board, another to get people to fill it in.

If a survey were held among STHs it would be a mistake to view it as a sort of referendum.

Suppose the club found only 5% of STHs wanted Safe Standing. That result would NOT provide a good argument against Safe Standing. It would actually support the case for converting 5% of the home end into rail seating.

Standing is a minority preference but that does not mean the club shouldn't cater for it.

Edited by Harry - LCFC

5 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

You think fans standing in front of seats without a barrier is safer?

No, but I haven't seen any major incidents were fans have suffered serious injuries or death in the UK.

They are safe for what they are intended for, to sit and watch football. I have also spent a lot of time standing up in seated areas and always felt safe.

I just prefer people to just state they prefer to stand, rather that trying to badge it as a major safely issue the club is failing to deal with.

Edited by coolhandfox

3 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

If a survey were held among STHs it would be a mistake to view it as a sort of referendum.

Suppose the club found only 5% of STHs wanted Safe Standing. That result would NOT provide a good argument against Safe Standing. It would actually support the case for converting 5% of the home end into rail seating.

Standing is a minority preference but that does not mean the club shouldn't cater for it.

But you still have to convince the club it's a worthwhile investment, not many companies change their product due too demand from 5% of there costumer base.

50 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

But you still have to convince the club it's a worthwhile investment, not many companies change their product due too demand from 5% of there costumer base.

It’s not 5% of the fans though. That figures taken from those that could be bothered to go online and fill a survey out. Stats are silly and it’s like saying 5% are in favour of it yet 95% are not.  I bet 90% of the fans either didn’t know about it or didn’t have the time and inclination or the means to take part. It’s only when people see this sort of stuff in the flesh they make a decision whether it’s a good idea or not.

Personally I think the wolves approach is best, get like minded fans to wreck the seats so the club have to do something about replacing them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s not 5% of the fans though. That figures taken from those that could be bothered to go online and fill a survey out. Stats are silly and it’s like saying 5% are in favour of it yet 95% are not.  I bet 90% of the fans either didn’t know about it or didn’t have the time and inclination or the means to take part. It’s only when people see this sort of stuff in the flesh they make a decision whether it’s a good idea or not.

Personally I think the wolves approach is best, get like minded fans to wreck the seats so the club have to do something about replacing them.

I'm not sure statistics are silly....., however I'm pretty sure the club will incorporate safe standing within the rumoured stadium extension.

I just think people will have to come up with a very compelling argument to convince the club to make a change before hand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/05/2019 at 14:50, UniFox21 said:

Well that's kinda shitty, but there are ways to get this out there, it's just a shit show to get it to where you need. 

Had a similar issue with my 3rd year dissertation, it's one thing making a survey to pass the ethics board, another to get people to fill it in.

It's not kind of shitty. It's indicative of a society where people have become numb to being accosted. 

Endless attempts to stop and sell you something, or get some money from you, or convert you has led to people not wanting to engage with people on the street. They'll be the very worst type of salesman too, you just know it. 

I love the club but am I **** stopping to talk to ANYONE who just 'wants a minute mate'. That's not shitty. That's a response to years of wasting my time talking to folks trying to fill something in. 

Just now, David Hankey said:

Perhaps those who want to stand can get the Club to provide a large screen so they can do so OUTSIDE the ground!!

Ha ha ha so hilarious mate ! 

• Haha 3

We have it at Celtic Park and have done for a few years now, this section houses our ultras (sorry for the term couldn't think of anything else lol), the green brigade.  My season ticket seat is at the opposite end of the ground and I've never actually sat in it but that section of the ground definitely makes for the best atmosphere.  Overall it's been a massive success.

I'm surprised we are the only club in the UK to have safe standing, I thought after the first couple of years of us having it more clubs would adopt.  I believe Tottenham have it at their new ground but not sure if there are any others?

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

We have it at Celtic Park and have done for a few years now, this section houses our ultras (sorry for the term couldn't think of anything else lol), the green brigade.  My season ticket seat is at the opposite end of the ground and I've never actually sat in it but that section of the ground definitely makes for the best atmosphere.  Overall it's been a massive success.

I'm surprised we are the only club in the UK to have safe standing, I thought after the first couple of years of us having it more clubs would adopt.  I believe Tottenham have it at their new ground but not sure if there are any others?

Green Brigade are ultras.

Shrewsbury have safe standing as well, hopefully with the safety guidelines changing we’ll see more clubs having it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Wolves have it, becasue the SGSA told them to install it as their entire South bank stand throughout the game. 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2019 at 10:22, henrik_62 said:

I can only agree, the UK are a bit behind times. Gone are the days of atmospheres in the grounds. Too many people with bad mindsets going to the game and just sitting there in silence. If you want to admire a play, go to the theatre. Football is about getting behind the team you follow. Being reluctant to house 10% of fans in a standing facility is ridiculous and narrow minded.

At least things are slowly moving and fair play to the likes of Celtic, Kilmarnock, Wolves, Shrewsbury and Spurs (and any others I may not be aware of).

• Like 2