Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, GlennyFox55 said:

This is the only size/ style we can realistically go for pre-expansion/ redevelopment  due to the bowl style of our ground.

Works well if you do it towards SK1, naturally compliments Union FS then.

It’s difficult to gauge what size standing section we would want. 

Based on past few seasons, I’d say we have fewer than 1K persistent standers in our all-seater home end of 28K.

It’s a very stable number as well - unlike some other grounds, there aren’t many sitters who decide to occasionally stand (e.g. for European games).

What I’m not sure of is how much this is just down to ingrained habits among people who have sat near each other since the stadium opened.

Are there people who want to stand but feel like they can’t, and can’t really move because of a lack of availability?

If, for example, we made SK1-4 standing as part of the expansion and told people they could relocate to a seat in a new area, how many would just stay?

4 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

It’s difficult to gauge what size standing section we would want. 

Based on past few seasons, I’d say we have fewer than 1K persistent standers in our all-seater home end of 28K.

It’s a very stable number as well - unlike some other grounds, there aren’t many sitters who decide to occasionally stand (e.g. for European games).

What I’m not sure of is how much this is just down to ingrained habits among people who have sat near each other since the stadium opened.

Are there people who want to stand but feel like they can’t, and can’t really move because of a lack of availability?

If, for example, we made SK1-4 standing as part of the expansion and told people they could relocate to a seat in a new area, how many would just stay?

I think there's a few factors tbh. The club for the last 19 years have not once backed any kind of prolonged organised singing/unofficial standing section. It doesn't fit the profile of club they're looking to build imo. Other clubs have done major stadium reconfigurations to accommodate people wanting to stand and sing. Secondly we seem to have a large proportion of people who will happily get involved away from home but have no interest in trying to replicate that at home. For example Derby have 5000 stood at home every week but only half that at away games. We're the other way around. 

We had 8000 blokes stood up at the City ground a few years ago, and it always baffles me where they go at home games. Do they just not go to home games or are they with family, kids etc? A dedicated section would help a lot imo but it's a culture shift as much as anything that needs to happen. Oh, and binning clappers :thumbup:

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think there's a few factors tbh. The club for the last 19 years have not once backed any kind of prolonged organised singing/unofficial standing section. It doesn't fit the profile of club they're looking to build imo. Other clubs have done major stadium reconfigurations to accommodate people wanting to stand and sing. Secondly we seem to have a large proportion of people who will happily get involved away from home but have no interest in trying to replicate that at home. For example Derby have 5000 stood at home every week but only half that at away games. We're the other way around. 

Maybe they are just waiting to do it all in one go when they redevelop the ground, if it does'nt happen then it never will.

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We had 8000 blokes stood up at the City ground a few years ago, and it always baffles me where they go at home games. Do they just not go to home games or are they with family, kids etc? A dedicated section would help a lot imo but it's a culture shift as much as anything that needs to happen. Oh, and binning clappers :thumbup:

I think there are a lots of reasons, mine for example; I take my son to away games who's 17, we love to sing and getting involved. However I started to take him down when he was 5 to home games only, during that time we made 10 or so friend who we have sat with for the last 10-12 years range from 20-80 in age. 

Out of our group we are the only 2 that attend regular away games, at home we sacrifice being somewhere with more atmosphere to stay with our group. But that makes us even louder when we go away as its more special.

As for clapper, childs love clappers, you love a sing section and standing, with should be catered for.

Edited by coolhandfox

On 23/07/2021 at 17:25, coolhandfox said:

Maybe they are just waiting to do it all in one go when they redevelop the ground, if it does'nt happen then it never will.

I think there are a lots of reasons, mine for example; I take my son to away games who's 17, we love to sing and getting involved. However I started to take him down when he was 5 to home games only, during that time we made 10 or so friend who we have sat with for the last 10-12 years range from 20-80 in age. 

Out of our group we are the only 2 that attend regular away games, at home we sacrifice being somewhere with more atmosphere to stay with our group. But that makes us even louder when we go away as its more special.

As for clapper, childs love clappers, you love a sing section and standing, with should be catered for.

Clappers should be available at the turnstiles, at first they'll have some left over but as time goes on they'll know more or less how many to have in each part of the ground. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, davieG said:

Clappers should be available at the turnstiles, at first they'll have some left over but as time goes on they'll know more or less how many to have in each part of the ground. 

The club said to us that they were becoming collection only a few seasons ago, obviously never happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

Always joked that LCFC would be the last in the league to install this but looks like that could actually be the case lol  

I make that Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, West Ham and Wolves with it, and Everton with plans for it in their new ground. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

These are all looking great, apart from Man Utd's, buried at the back of the stand with regular seating in front of it. Calling it now - it will make no dent in Old Trafford's abysmal atmosphere.

Part of why, if we do it, I want it in L1 instead of SK1 is because at least there, it's the whole block that stands throughout instead of just a few hundred on the back rows. Either do a whole block or not at all.

Bristol City are doing their damndest to make me want to attend a game right now. Ashton Gate is gonna be bouncing next year.

Edited by OntarioFox

Installation of seats with safety rails begins at Anfield - Liverpool FC

The first rail seats at Anfield's Kop end have been installed as part of the season-long trial of seats with safety rails.

Following the initial announcement notifying supporters on June 15, the preparatory work has been completed and the seats are now being installed.

The Kop end will be ready for the pre-season games against Athletic Club and CA Osasuna on Sunday and Monday. The remainder of the work is due to be ready for the start of the new season, with Liverpool's first home game against Burnley on August 21.

As Anfield prepares to welcome fans back for the start of the new season, this trial of seats with safety rails will be in two areas of the stadium that were highlighted in a safety review by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) to have an issue with persistent standing. This trial in the Kop and Anfield Road lower tier is to ensure supporters' safety in these high-risk areas.

The seating being installed includes normal stadium seats with an integrated safety rail behind them to avoid a crowd collapse. They will not impact the visibility of the pitch for supporters. The design is to enable fans to stand safely at key moments in the game, like goal celebrations, but must revert to a seat at other times.

The Kop and Anfield Road Stand will see a total of 7,800 seats updated in the trial, which will begin from the start of 2021-22. Around 1,800 new seats will be located at the back of the Kop and 6,000 in the Anfield Road Stand lower tier.

With the installation of the new seats at Anfield, LFC joins a number of Premier League clubs already using this safety method, with further clubs set to install safety rails for the new season.

Supporters attending matches are reminded that Anfield is still an all-seater stadium and fans should remain seated when possible.

a205f4bafc6db484a847ac302f9f116d295ae6b5

On 04/08/2021 at 15:01, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Always joked that LCFC would be the last in the league to install this but looks like that could actually be the case lol  

I make that Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, West Ham and Wolves with it, and Everton with plans for it in their new ground. 

And Liverpool