Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

On 13/02/2020 at 09:25, KrefelderFox666 said:

Well, for evry home game we have basically the back 10 rows of the Kop plus all of L1/K section standing. There will be many others who sit throughout the ground (like myself) who would like to stand but currently are unable to without upsetting people around them.

The club could easily fill a 3,000 people section and it would improve atmosphere no doubt. Likeminded people will be placed together rather than spread and as said above, if it is combined with being marketed as a "singing section", this would help further.

You just have to look throughout Europe where the terraces are the ones with the best atmosphere and the seats more reserved. It's just a habit of people in this country/PL that is the issue. It won't happen overnight but steps in the right direction are starting to be taken.

I am afraid this is true in my experience.  I am in my mid 50s but because I was brought up standing, sitting at a game doesn’t feel right.  As an example I stood up at a match recently near the back of SK4 when Vardy (I think) was through on goal and was tapped on the shoulder by the 20 something behind me and told to sit down.

The only answer that will satisfy everyone is a safe standing area so how do we go about persuading the club to instigate one?  It can’t cost much to install a few thousand rail seats say at the back of SK1?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

I am afraid this is true in my experience.  I am in my mid 50s but because I was brought up standing, sitting at a game doesn’t feel right.  As an example I stood up at a match recently near the back of SK4 when Vardy (I think) was through on goal and was tapped on the shoulder by the 20 something behind me and told to sit down.

The only answer that will satisfy everyone is a safe standing area so how do we go about persuading the club to instigate one?  It can’t cost much to install a few thousand rail seats say at the back of SK1?

Rail seats, £80 per seat 
Convert a 1000 seats  = Cost of 4 weeks clappers 🤔

• Like 2

This must be part of the club's thinking when considering redeveloping the ground. I'm reliably informed (or possibly someone told me in a pub) that safe standing increases capacity by a ratio of 1:1.6. If that's right, it might make more sense to bring in rail seating. than to add another tier to part of the ground.

32 minutes ago, Eamonn said:

This must be part of the club's thinking when considering redeveloping the ground. I'm reliably informed (or possibly someone told me in a pub) that safe standing increases capacity by a ratio of 1:1.6. If that's right, it might make more sense to bring in rail seating. than to add another tier to part of the ground.

In Germany that's the case but here the regulations are too strict for significant capacity increases I'm fairly sure, things like vomitory width, rake of the stands, number of exits etc are all very stringent for the amount of people in a certain area.

11 hours ago, Eamonn said:

It's 1:1 for the time being. There's talk of going to 1.5:1 in the future but this would need a minimum row depth of 750mm to allow for a step to be added on each row. I don't know what the row depth is at the KP. 

This is what it could look like in the future with each row split into an "upper" and "lower" bit. The extra room comes from the rail being much thinner than a traditional seat. Not sure this will ever happen here but it will elsewhere, Everton have just announced their new Kop has 750mm deep rows for this exact reason. 

EQiQvhHWAAISGBP.jpg

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's 1:1 for the time being. There's talk of going to 1.5:1 in the future but this would need a minimum row depth of 750mm to allow for a step to be added on each row. I don't know what the row depth is at the KP. 

This is what it could look like in the future with each row split into an "upper" and "lower" bit. The extra room comes from the rail being much thinner than a traditional seat. Not sure this will ever happen here but it will elsewhere, Everton have just announced their new Kop has 750mm deep rows for this exact reason. 

EQiQvhHWAAISGBP.jpg

Stood on Dortmunds südtribune once and it was absolutely rammed at 1:1.8 despite it being a relatively subdued area, just wasn't comfortable tbh. 1:1.5 would probably be ok

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Stood on Dortmunds südtribune once and it was absolutely rammed at 1:1.8 despite it being a relatively subdued area, just wasn't comfortable tbh. 1:1.5 would probably be ok

I think even with a split row and more room thanks to the thinner seat, yeah 1.5:1 would be the maximum. Then you have to look at other factors, notably exit routes. Getting out from SK1 is bad enough already as there's on 2 exits for about 1700-1800 people, that would be a big problem if that 1800 turned into 2500 for example. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think even with a split row and more room thanks to the thinner seat, yeah 1.5:1 would be the maximum. Then you have to look at other factors, notably exit routes. Getting out from SL1 is bad enough already as there's on 2 exits for about 1700-1800 people, that would be a big problem if that 1800 turned into 2500 for example. 

To be honest even 1.2:1 would mean more revenue. I’d pay the same as my current season ticket for a standing one happily, so any more capacity is more money plus more people spending in the concourse.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

It's a little disappointing to read 'the move is about mitigating the issue of persistent standing, rather than promoting safe standing'.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's a little disappointing to read 'the move is about mitigating the issue of persistent standing, rather than promoting safe standing'.

I think they're just covering themselves in case anything happens.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Big move that in the fight for it at our club. Always felt they viewed Wolves as not 'big enough' to warrant following the trend and doing it. Biggest club in the country now openly in favour.

Let's hope they're hurriedly getting out the Stadium expansion plans to find the best place to put rail seating.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Let's hope they're hurriedly getting out the Stadium expansion plans to find the best place to put rail seating.

Because our ground is like a bowl, It will be either In the corners or one complete stand simply because once they install them, the seats next to the standing will become restricted viewing and therefore have to be cheaper tickets. You're not going to pay top dollar sat on the halfway line in the East stand and then have 4000 fans stood up in rail seating next to you. 

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Because our ground is like a bowl, It will be either In the corners or one complete stand simply because once they install them, the seats next to the standing will become restricted viewing and therefore have to be cheaper tickets. You're not going to pay top dollar sat on the halfway line in the East stand and then have 4000 fans stood up in rail seating next to you. 

I'm hoping they relocate the family stand when the stadium is expanded, that would leave the north stand free for rail seating.

• 10 months later...