Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Do we think the reference to 'on cusp of something quite spectacular' is with regards to a 'new' British and Irish 'super league' that would also include clubs from South Africa and Italy?

This was rumoured a few days ago and the URC publicly refuted it. 

I can't see it happening to be honest. My best guess is that things will just settle down and it'll be a storm in a teacup. There'll be a small review of the English league system, probably a new TV deal somewhere to ease things up and we'll get back to normal. 

Do think the RFU and the English clubs probably wish they'd been more receptive to overtures from the Welsh a while back though. An Anglo Welsh league would have been and still probably would be the best thing for both English and Welsh clubs, especially the English clubs on the border (of which there are many) who would gain a whole bunch of new local rivals for their fans. Worcester would still be in business imo if that had happened. 

But that moment has probably gone now we're in the URC. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

In a grossly over simplified nutshell, club rugby globally largely over reached in the last decade with clubs spending dangerously too much on player wages in an arms race that isn't vastly different to football.

Where all footballers want to be playing in the best paid league and the Champions League, rugby players basically want the same thing and because nobody wanted to miss out on playing in Europe they were all taking risks with their finances to try and attract the best squads. 

So a lot of clubs ended up flying dangerously close to the sun and then COVID happened. 

Rugby clubs are more reliant on their match day revenue compared to football and what was a really precariously balanced house of cards just sorta fell. 

There's enough interest in rugby in England that it'll balance itself out and you'll get back to a normal level. The problem is, to do that you'll probably find that any club not backed by a rich benefactor* (like Sarries or Bristol) probably needs to chill the fvck out for a while and just simply accept poverty. Accept you aren't getting to Europe, accept being bottom of the table, accept facing relegation, budget accordingly. 

That's not really an answer these clubs like to hear and the idea of the English Premiership becoming a second rate competition doesn't exactly appeal to the RFU so everyone's treating it like it's some desperate emergency that needs fixing when the answer is kinda just there in front of them, spend to your means. 

*obviously the Tigers are a rare exception given they've got a regular attendance of 15-20k to fall back on but that makes you like the Real Madrid of English rugby it's very rare. 

Totally agree..Rugby Proffesional management,let non-rugby sponsorship hype management,get their dirty fingers into the game. Too much bending of player introduction rules..

Saracens issue was never faced..Rugby management forgot and lost their way in trying to protect off-field game. Then suddenly much of the old guard,& dischanted next generation were ignored…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Aha

not well put is it 

I was trying to say all our internationals who were fit were available to play 

Gotcha, still a tad harsh on them mind.

Those Internationals haven’t trained under the new coaching staff as yet, we were still missing some influential starters Montoya, Reffell, JVP, Martin along with Watson, Heyes, Cracknell, Porter & Haskell-Collins for a bit of speed…a best 15 has at least 4 of those names in with the others on the bench.

(As an aside for me we still need to recruit some top class props)

On the whole it was a much improved display, we had the scrum and line outs sorted from last weeks 5hit show and remember Quins are the Harlem Globetrotters of playing ball in hand and we did stop that to a degree even Nick Evans mentioned they had to adapt their style to stay in the game.

As good as they were and us bad for their tries we could have won that, there were too many handling errors in their 22 along with the turnovers, on several occasions we could have gone over. Also at least twice Pollard kicked for the corners as our line out and drives were working but both times we made errors and gave up the ball, had he kicked for posts we win 🤷‍♂️, it was small margins & remember they are top of the tree, next week will tell us where we are.

It will always look more worrying this season as only 10 teams so even 7th makes it look like that team is struggling with 6 tough teams above that.

This season with a new coaching team, the amount of players away for world cup and then 6N the aim will be top 6 then see how it goes, Quins, Sale, Sarries & Bath are the teams to beat and you still have Exeter and Bristol to throw in the mix.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Gotcha, still a tad harsh on them mind.

Those Internationals haven’t trained under the new coaching staff as yet, we were still missing some influential starters Montoya, Reffell, JVP, Martin along with Watson, Heyes, Cracknell, Porter & Haskell-Collins for a bit of speed…a best 15 has at least 4 of those names in with the others on the bench.

(As an aside for me we still need to recruit some top class props)

On the whole it was a much improved display, we had the scrum and line outs sorted from last weeks 5hit show and remember Quins are the Harlem Globetrotters of playing ball in hand and we did stop that to a degree even Nick Evans mentioned they had to adapt their style to stay in the game.

As good as they were and us bad for their tries we could have won that, there were too many handling errors in their 22 along with the turnovers, on several occasions we could have gone over. Also at least twice Pollard kicked for the corners as our line out and drives were working but both times we made errors and gave up the ball, had he kicked for posts we win 🤷‍♂️, it was small margins & remember they are top of the tree, next week will tell us where we are.

It will always look more worrying this season as only 10 teams so even 7th makes it look like that team is struggling with 6 tough teams above that.

This season with a new coaching team, the amount of players away for world cup and then 6N the aim will be top 6 then see how it goes, Quins, Sale, Sarries & Bath are the teams to beat and you still have Exeter and Bristol to throw in the mix.

How did Pollard play? 

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

How did Pollard play? 

He just makes the difference, really looking forward to seeing our best 15 play with him orchestrating….however

Rumour mill is churning that Weise is off to Stadt Francais which is typical, build a great team but then lose influential players before it really gets into the swing.

Hella of a career..& competed against the best and won big battles..

This last W.cup we lost the scrums,when he went off..

Dan Cole says his performance in England's World Cup exit against South Africa was a lesson in redemption.

The 36-year-old prop played a lead role in the pack's fierce semi-final performance against a side that almost ended his international career.

After his display against the Springboks in 2019 final, he failed to again play for Eddie Jones.

"It's a lesson you try teach your kids - don't give up, don't give up and don't give up," Cole said.

"Hopefully when I'm old, or older, I can tell the boys that 'yeah, keep going and keeping going, go though all the stuff, the outside noise, and eventually things may come right.

"There was probably a special moment of reflection, I think, for myself, Jamie George, [Joe] Marler, those kind of guys that had been through it four years ago.

"Four years ago we weren't as bad as we performed.

"This time around we had a bit more parity and it was something that in future I will look back on with more pride because yes, that ability to turn things around.

"I would happily have taken a bad performance individually for a victory, but that wasn't the case."

Leicester Tigers prop Cole went more than three years without playing for England after their final defeat in Japan, with his recall to the national side only coming after Jones was sacked.

Steve Borthwick, a head coach he won the Premiership title under at Leicester Tigers, included the British and Irish international Cole in the first side he selected for the Six Nations in January.

He had been stranded on 95 caps for years, but has since become a Borthwick favourite.

Cole has gone on to take his international appearance tally to 110, and went on to feature in his fourth World Cup.

With the tournament coming just nine months after Borthwick's appointment and preparations including five defeats in six games - including a first ever defeat by Fiji - Cole said England grew more than any side he had been a part of at previous tournaments.

"I'm very grateful to have been included with such a great group of guys, and great squad," he told BBC Radio Leicester.

"There was a fair amount of England won't get out of the groups, can't do this and can't do that.

"It's probably one of the proudest World Cups I've been involved in for the way we built as a squad and got to where we were.

"As soon as we got to France the focus narrowed down. In the warm-up games there is always that element of getting picked, not getting picked, being fit and actually getting to the World Cup - people miss out and there is always that fear. 

"As soon as we got to the World Cup, the squad pulled together. I remember the fist training session, and it was totally different vibe in the playing group."

Cole's England and Tigers team-mate Freddie Steward has previously said that the eventual semi-final defeat remains raw and will take some getting over.

And while painful, Cole has put their third-place finish in perspective.

"It's tough, but it wasn't as tough as it was four years ago when you lose a final," Cole said.

"There are plenty of positives to take out of it. South Africa are worthy winners, look at the route they took. They are a special team and to lose to them in the semi-final and go as far as we did is something this group proud of achieving."

Just one of those front 3,and top scrummagers that Tigers find since over

40+years…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No surprise Tigers have been on a winning run now the big guns are back but this weekend is the start of the Champions Cup & i don't hold out much hope of them qualifying out of the group, its insane:-
Tigers, Leinster, La Rochelle, Sale, Stade Francais & the Stormers