Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's better at Celtic. 

Celtic has a better atmosphere than any ground in England.

You'll Never Walk Alone is always good at Anfield. People say "other than that it's quiet". Yes it is. It's also quiet at every other PL ground.

43 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Celtic has a better atmosphere than any ground in England.

You'll Never Walk Alone is always good at Anfield. People say "other than that it's quiet". Yes it is. It's also quiet at every other PL ground.

There's a direct correlation, though, between the success of a club and its awful atmosphere. 

Liverpool, United*, Arsenal and Chelsea have comfortably the worst atmospheres in the Premier League and its not really a shock given their stadium is full of football tourists from all over the globe. 

Meanwhile at Burnley, Wolves, Cardiff etc you'll get a bit more atmosphere. 

Ours is ridiculously bipolar, one week everyone's up and excited and there's noise, the rest we're all moping like there's a CO leak. 

*I'm almost never snobbish about football support because honestly, noise is noise, but their little forced singing section of students in the corner banging on about "Tony Martial" is just awful. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Teaching/Education is indoctrination/mild brainwashing under a more acceptable title.

True.

The four fundamental physical forces and that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides of a right-angled triangle is subversive thought of the worst type, isn't it? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There's a direct correlation, though, between the success of a club and its awful atmosphere. 

Liverpool, United*, Arsenal and Chelsea have comfortably the worst atmospheres in the Premier League and its not really a shock given their stadium is full of football tourists from all over the globe. 

Meanwhile at Burnley, Wolves, Cardiff etc you'll get a bit more atmosphere. 

Ours is ridiculously bipolar, one week everyone's up and excited and there's noise, the rest we're all moping like there's a CO leak. 

*I'm almost never snobbish about football support because honestly, noise is noise, but their little forced singing section of students in the corner banging on about "Tony Martial" is just awful. 

Agree. I'm excited to go Spurs' new ground as it looks great but that'll probably be in the same category. Manchester City is so quiet too.

Best I've experienced for ages was at Huddersfield last season but I guess they had that newly-promoted feel back then like we did once.

5 hours ago, FIF said:

Teaching/Education is indoctrination/mild brainwashing under a more acceptable title.

So being taught that the "withdrawal" method is one of the forms of safe sex (although not recommended) is a lie? Bastards!

Damnit, i must have so many kids i dont know about out there. Scary.

On 19/02/2019 at 10:38, Finnegan said:

If it's a banned organisation, and I assume it almost certainly is, membership is an illegal offence. 

You may remember before Christmas, three neo nazis got about five or six years each for belonging to National Action. 

You can't just run off and join ISIS quite publicly, spout a bunch of ISIS rhetoric, then claim you didn't actually shoot anyone or blow anything up so walk free. 

If she comes back she'll be one of hundreds that we likely end up taking back and prosecuting once it's all over. We probably should, as well, if they're our citizens and were radicalised in this country then they're our problem. Leaving them free to cause pain elsewhere in the world likely doesn't solve anything. 

I do think she should be afforded some care, mind, she's ultimately a brainwashed child which is essentially incredibly sad. That doesn't mean I think she should be free to walk the streets but it does mean I think giving up on her is bad for the war against terror and is largely shooting ourselves in the foot long term. 

Edit: and for the record, I'd hold the same view about a kid indoctrinated in to National Action or anything similar at a young age. At the risk of paraphrasing half of American History X, I don't think we really achieve much by abandoning disenfranchised kids to be seduced by hate mongers, whatever the philosophy they get swept up in. 

Is it still ok to be in the Dennis the menace fan club? I’m worried my old membership might get me in hot water.

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Is it still ok to be in the Dennis the menace fan club? I’m worried my old membership might get me in hot water.

I think you have to go on a register and the local apple growers get to be informed if you move in to a neighbourhood with freely scrumpable orchards. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Yeah bloody academics brainwashing us all with facts! 

Whose facts?

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

Playing devil advocate here - what is the alternative then?

There are alternatives - but that wasn't the point of the post. Some people actually don't realise this.

2 hours ago, the fox said:

Bit harsh. 

When has that stopped it being true.

I started out as a primary school teacher - that is the best time to indoctrinate and brainwash kids - so easy and so permanent but it continues throughout schooling and it's almost as simple when they get to university. It happens here in the west just like it does everywhere else.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Whose facts?

There are alternatives - but that wasn't the point of the post. Some people actually don't realise this.

When has that stopped it being true.

I started out as a primary school teacher - that is the best time to indoctrinate and brainwash kids - so easy and so permanent but it continues throughout schooling and it's almost as simple when they get to university. It happens here in the west just like it does everywhere else.

You've not come to some great truth - Everyone realises this. Everyone realises there are limits to the English language, there is bias in Social science theory, no matter how well they are peer reviewed and history class is always going to put a country in a better light than its opponents might.

Everyone realises this when they're about 12 or or 13 years old and rebelling against their parents, teachers and institutions, thinking they've come to this realisation on their own despite the fact everyone does it and it's an idea filters through society as much as any other - the typical teenage "The government and corporations are all in league to keep the sheeple and masses stupid so they can manipulate them - and I'm the only one who realises the "capital-T truth"" phase that everyone goes through.

Most people grow out of it as adults though and realise education isn't perfect but it puts us in good stead as an adult to speak and connect with others and allows us to get a taste of subjects and the world and find what we enjoy - it's not supposed to be permanent though. School is designed to only be a tiny part of education, enough to set you up to explore what you want when you're older.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Not so much an unpopular opinion maybe, but guys who blow their wages (or benefits) on *supporting* "webcam performers" to put it one way. Why? I can't for the life of me understand why people do this

More 'interactive' than the usual

Less potentially embarrassing than the alternative