Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 21/02/2019 at 02:37, FIF said:

Whose facts?

There are alternatives - but that wasn't the point of the post. Some people actually don't realise this.

When has that stopped it being true.

I started out as a primary school teacher - that is the best time to indoctrinate and brainwash kids - so easy and so permanent but it continues throughout schooling and it's almost as simple when they get to university. It happens here in the west just like it does everywhere else.

I watched a "report" yesterday about how the schools were now setting up classes to teach young people how to buy shares etc. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2019 at 20:06, Sampson said:

You've not come to some great truth - Everyone realises this. Everyone realises there are limits to the English language, there is bias in Social science theory, no matter how well they are peer reviewed and history class is always going to put a country in a better light than its opponents might.

Everyone realises this when they're about 12 or or 13 years old and rebelling against their parents, teachers and institutions, thinking they've come to this realisation on their own despite the fact everyone does it and it's an idea filters through society as much as any other - the typical teenage "The government and corporations are all in league to keep the sheeple and masses stupid so they can manipulate them - and I'm the only one who realises the "capital-T truth"" phase that everyone goes through.

Most people grow out of it as adults though and realise education isn't perfect but it puts us in good stead as an adult to speak and connect with others and allows us to get a taste of subjects and the world and find what we enjoy - it's not supposed to be permanent though. School is designed to only be a tiny part of education, enough to set you up to explore what you want when you're older.

The perfect product of the system - but of course you're not fooled, you know that and clearly accept it.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I watched a "report" yesterday about how the schools were now setting up classes to teach young people how to buy shares etc. :facepalm:

Excellent. 

Teach them young how to acquire assets and be financially responsible so the're less reliant on the state in later life.

Love it :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 09:33, Izzy said:

Excellent. 

Teach them young how to acquire assets and be financially responsible so the're less reliant on the state in later life.

Love it :thumbup:

Totally agree.

It is weird, I didn’t know what a mortgage was until I got one...but I could recite Pi to 12 decimal places. 

Teach the kids things that will actually benefit them in the future - what’s wrong with that?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milo said:

Totally agree.

It is weird, I didn’t know what a mortgage was until I got one...but I could recite Pi to 12 decimal places. 

Teach the kids things that will actually benefit them in the future - what’s wrong with that?!

Should be a cornerstone of basic education. Sadly schools also need to teach them how to be "good" human beings and a useful and helpful part of society because so many parents aren't doing that. However schools seem fearful to go there.

It's not about making money, it's about being able to live together as a society.

13 minutes ago, FIF said:

Should be a cornerstone of basic education. Sadly schools also need to teach them how to be "good" human beings and a useful and helpful part of society because so many parents aren't doing that. However schools seem fearful to go there.

It's not about making money, it's about being able to live together as a society.

I detested some of my teachers. Bulliying, angry, arrogant, supercilious tossers. (Anyone else on here go to Hastings/JCC in the eighties?!) :@

Last thing in the world I would want is for them to be teaching my kids how to be good/decent people. 

Agree with your point, though. And school seems the logical place to provide the life lessons missing from home. 

I think there’s a bit of what you are suggesting going on. I think my youngest has Mindfulness classes now at his school. :thumbup: