Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 27/08/2019 at 21:37, Manini said:

Danny Higginbotham is pretty good, although he’s a summariser isn’t he, not a commentator as such. 

I think football coverage in general is pretty shite tbh. As with anything they know they’ll have the big numbers of viewers regardless so they’ve got lazy with it.

Sky Sports cricket coverage is pounds better than any of the football sky do. Excellent list of ex-pros, great insight, not biased, the master classes they do are great and the documentary’s they produce for lunch times are quality too. 

I don’t particularly know if this is unpopular or not - and I don’t eat a ton of fast food, but Burger King is 1000000 miles better quality of food than Maccies and if they had 24/7 restaurants they’d give them a good run for their money in the UK. 

Apologies for dragging this up again 😀Your right BK make the better burger.They did start to try to compete with McDonald’s in terms of no of restaurants in the late nineties.Then about 10 ish years ago half of their franchises just disappeared,practically overnight.In fact it’s very rare that there’s ever more than about 5 people in their outlets at anytime.Mcdonalds is slightly cheaper and so much quicker.The new queuing system is quite impressive.

Mo Salah isn't a particularly great player. He's extremely greedy, and his pace gets himself out if trouble. His touch is often poor but his pace means he gets to the ball first. He seems to use chaos as skill, theres very little actual skill involved, he just does things very quickly and hopes that gets him past the defender.

I will say his movement off the ball is excellent though.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I just don't 'get' Superhero films/games etc.

Batman, Spiderman, Avengers, Ironman etc etc all silly predictable OTT action films with main characters designed for kids.

All about the escapism - and TBH you could put almost any movie that isn't based on a true story into that category.

Actually, on a similar note, I don't get soap operas or other dramas with real life elements, either - does watching a show where almost everyones life ends up going to hell in a handbasket one way or another make one feel better about their own, or something?

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 12:13, Heathrow fox said:

Apologies for dragging this up again 😀Your right BK make the better burger.They did start to try to compete with McDonald’s in terms of no of restaurants in the late nineties.Then about 10 ish years ago half of their franchises just disappeared,practically overnight.In fact it’s very rare that there’s ever more than about 5 people in their outlets at anytime.Mcdonalds is slightly cheaper and so much quicker.The new queuing system is quite impressive.

Give me a Maccies burger 10 times out of 10.

The last time I tried a BK burger it got chucked in the bin. I genuinely couldn't finish it. Obviously just down to personal taste, but I'm betting I'm not the only one. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

It looks twat-ish when footballers do that headphone/LV wash bag thing. 

Just seen photos of the women footballers copying their male counterparts. Just stop. 

Aren’t they just listening to music and carrying there shampoo? Not a thing really is it 

• Like 3

This has moved from an idea to a firm belief for me in recent times: a supranational organisation with enforcing power beyond that of any nation state (basically the U.N. with actual teeth), focusing on issues that affect the entire world (such as environmental ones) is not only desirable but is actually critical for the long term, as the big nation states have proved and are proving, time and again, that they cannot be trusted to act in the best interest of anyone else short term or even themselves long term.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

This has moved from an idea to a firm belief for me in recent times: a supranational organisation with enforcing power beyond that of any nation state (basically the U.N. with actual teeth), focusing on issues that affect the entire world (such as environmental ones) is not only desirable but is actually critical for the long term, as the big nation states have proved and are proving, time and again, that they cannot be trusted to act in the best interest of anyone else short term or even themselves long term.

Definitely not an unpopular opinion. I am an ecologist. We are ****ed without such drastic moves as this. Plenty on here not interested in climate and extinction emergencies, but for those burying their heads in the sand or willing to believe no such problem exists, I can confirm it does and at the current rate of movement by those with the power to do anything about it, I can confirm we are ****ed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Definitely not an unpopular opinion. I am an ecologist. We are ****ed without such drastic moves as this. Plenty on here not interested in climate and extinction emergencies, but for those burying their heads in the sand or willing to believe no such problem exists, I can confirm it does and at the current rate of movement by those with the power to do anything about it, I can confirm we are ****ed.

Sadly it is an unpopular opinion, or more would be happening to take the action necessary - that's sadly self-evident.

When you have the most powerful economic force on the planet being run by an administration that clearly couldn't care less about such things, it sadly follows that apathy is catching. That's exactly why such matters need to come out of the nation states hands - not that it will ever happen or happen for a long time, unfortunately, but it does need to happen, unless there is a sudden attack of conscience and long term thought in Washington and Beijing, among other places (not likely).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Sadly it is an unpopular opinion, or more would be happening to take the action necessary - that's sadly self-evident.

When you have the most powerful economic force on the planet being run by an administration that clearly couldn't care less about such things, it sadly follows that apathy is catching. That's exactly why such matters need to come out of the nation states hands - not that it will ever happen or happen for a long time, unfortunately, but it does need to happen, unless there is a sudden attack of conscience and long term thought in Washington and Beijing, among other places (not likely).

Sure - I don't think it's as unpopular an a opinion for the General Public, but yes it's definitely unpopular for governments.

And yes, it's definitely catching, look at our sorry state of a Government and all of it's false pretences of being 'Green' - like setting CO2 emission targets that are scientifically unachievable with a third runway at Heathrow (Heathrow would emit more CO2 than the entirety of Croatia). It's all lip service, lip service, lip service and zilch action, from all of the worlds major powers, including ours.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Sure - I don't think it's as unpopular an a opinion for the General Public, but yes it's definitely unpopular for governments.

And yes, it's definitely catching, look at our sorry state of a Government and all of it's false pretences of being 'Green' - like setting CO2 emission targets that are scientifically unachievable with a third runway at Heathrow (Heathrow would emit more CO2 than the entirety of Croatia). It's all lip service, lip service, lip service and zilch action, from all of the worlds major powers, including ours.

Tough to say, really - either the general public are that unpopular with it or they don't have as much pull as they should in a healthy democracy, neither really looks good.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the UK is as lackadaisical on the issue as, say, the US right now, but there definitely needs to be more done, yeah.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretPro said:

I'm interested, but this is well out of my expertise. What sort of things would you like a global organisation to enforce on nations? Doesn't necessarily matter how feasible they are, just interested in what sort of moves we need to really deal with the climate emergency. 

9 hours ago, Fktf said:

I'm interested, but this is well out of my expertise. What sort of things would you like a global organisation to enforce on nations? Doesn't necessarily matter how feasible they are, just interested in what sort of moves we need to really deal with the climate emergency. 

Pardon for butting in here, but a good place to start would be global enforcement standards on all coal and oil power plants and on gas power plants above a certain emission level, with a view to getting rid of them ASAP. Couple that with building renewable sources and/or Gen III/IV fission plants to replace them. Power plants are by far the number one source of global emissions.

Of course, it would take time and the economics would be a massive headache - which is largely why it hasn't happened in a big way yet - but that doesn't negate the necessity.