Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

4 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Disagree as a band, I think they're quite varied but still have their own distinctive sound.

I've found them to be very average live though. 

I obviously just don’t get it. But then it would be boring if everyone liked the same thing. Even if I ignore older bands and focus on their contemporaries I can’t see they are better than The Strokes, Arcade Fire, early Kings of Leon, etc. I think I prefer music with more soul and heart to be honest, I find them a little too self aware maybe? I like “purity” and less “nod nod, wink wink”.  I liked Cornerstone though. Sorry I’m getting bogged down now and rambling haha. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 14:53, Rain King said:

Liked their first couple of albums. Saw them live and it was by far the worst gig I'd been to. Gave them the benefit of the doubt and saw them again a couple of years later. Was worse than the first one.

Agree with this. Saw them at Leeds 2006, and they were easily one of the worst bands of the weekend. They were still trading off the "DIY indie band" thing back then, so it was a proper no-frills show, very little in the way of theatrics. Just looked like they'd dragged a band off stage at the Shed.

Didn't help that they were followed by Muse who, if anyone's seen them live, will know that they headline with one of the most all-singing, all-dancing shows possible.

28 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I obviously just don’t get it. But then it would be boring if everyone liked the same thing. Even if I ignore older bands and focus on their contemporaries I can’t see they are better than The Strokes, Arcade Fire, early Kings of Leon, etc. I think I prefer music with more soul and heart to be honest, I find them a little too self aware maybe? I like “purity” and less “nod nod, wink wink”.  I liked Cornerstone though. Sorry I’m getting bogged down now and rambling haha. 

Haha no I agree, it would be boring if we all liked the same. I think they had more soul in their own way with the early albums but then started to get a bit more up themselves. 

Cornerstone is a great track 

34 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Agree with this. Saw them at Leeds 2006, and they were easily one of the worst bands of the weekend. They were still trading off the "DIY indie band" thing back then, so it was a proper no-frills show, very little in the way of theatrics. Just looked like they'd dragged a band off stage at the Shed.

Didn't help that they were followed by Muse who, if anyone's seen them live, will know that they headline with one of the most all-singing, all-dancing shows possible.

Yeah I was there too. Problem was for the slot they had they didn't have enough material to fill it. Felt a bit sorry for them really as they had zero presence on a stage that big at the time, they just weren't used to it.

The problem was they'd become so big so quickly that they had no choice but to put them on the main stage (especially given it was a Yorkshire gig too). There'd have been deaths if they'd have been put in one of the tents.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Disagree as a band, I think they're quite varied but still have their own distinctive sound.

I've found them to be very average live though. 

I think they've gotten a bit tamer as a live act unfortunately, probably due to the fact their music has changed a fair bit since the first few albums and 75% of their fans are proper partizan – they either think they should just constantly recreate their first two records, or they like the Josh Homme influenced stuff they're cracking out more recently. 

I saw them at Don Valley in 2011 just after Suck It and See came out (their best album, for me) and they were incredible, still probably the best gig I've ever been to. Then I saw them in 2018 at the FlyDSA in Sheff, it was good but not remotely close - the whole thing felt a bit weird tbh. It probably wasn't helped that their hiatus has meant the Courteeners Dark Fruits set are now of gig going age too so you've got a real mixed bag of a crowd, their last album* (Four Out of Five aside) being a bit incongruous with the rest of their stuff, and loads of folk that just want them to play Mardy Bum.

*I liked the last album but I'm sure plenty of casual folk would go to an Arctic Monkeys arena gig based on the hits and not the niche they veered into.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

21 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Ok I accept your points and I actually thought when I wrote it I was being slightly obtuse but then isn’t that the entire point of this thread? But I agree, I should rephrase it....... I personally do not enjoy their music, it does not connect with me at all on an emotional level and I cannot quite understand why they are as big as they have been. I imagine it’s partly age. I actually cite them as the moment I “lost touch” with music. I think I was 25 when their debut came out. I remember dancing to “..... the dancefloor” in Fan Club and thinking it was a decent novelty track but then when the album came out I just didn’t “get it”. But then that’s ok, music is about opinions and it probably wasn’t “for me” anyway, I was old haha. I just remember an overwhelming feeling of “meh”. Anyhoo, I’m rambling but you are right, calling them average was churlish. I just don’t like them. Then again I don’t like the Beatles either (although I can see objectively they are amazing songwriters) as again I just don’t connect with them emotionally. I’m happy in my wee bubble of 60s soul music, The Velvet Underground and Dexys. I’m safe here. X 

Nah man I accept yours in this thread of course just disagree with it of course. Didn't want to come across as a knob if you thought that of me.

It probably is partly age. I was only a young teenager when their first album came out but growing at the time, then eventually going out etc, it became relatable. Even more so them being local to my sort of area. I just think they became big very quickly.

But I never cling onto those early albums like others do. See MTWG post above which I agree with - you do get them "Courteeners Dark Fruits" kids going to their gigs now! I never understand people that want bands to do the same stuff. It's why, for me, Blur are better than Oasis. Reinvention is important and the great bands through out time have done that. It's what Arctic Monkeys have done. They took a bit of stick with their latest album but you can't churn the same stuff out forever (although some people do wanna see that).

There's a lot of good bands I don't like (Queen for example) but it doesn't make them bad, of course they're not, it's just opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Nah man I accept yours in this thread of course just disagree with it of course. Didn't want to come across as a knob if you thought that of me.

It probably is partly age. I was only a young teenager when their first album came out but growing at the time, then eventually going out etc, it became relatable. Even more so them being local to my sort of area. I just think they became big very quickly.

But I never cling onto those early albums like others do. See MTWG post above which I agree with - you do get them "Courteeners Dark Fruits" kids going to their gigs now! I never understand people that want bands to do the same stuff. It's why, for me, Blur are better than Oasis. Reinvention is important and the great bands through out time have done that. It's what Arctic Monkeys have done. They took a bit of stick with their latest album but you can't churn the same stuff out forever (although some people do wanna see that).

There's a lot of good bands I don't like (Queen for example) but it doesn't make them bad, of course they're not, it's just opinion.

Good post. Yeah I think age is massive when it comes to music. I was about 15 when britpop hit so I loved it. Never really liked Oasis but quite liked Blur , Pulp were my favourite at the time, thought they were much better than Blur or Oasis.  I must admit though now a lot of it sounds whiny and generic and I don’t listen to much britpop anymore. I’ll always love it but a lot of it was naff in hindsight. Then music went shit for a bit but the Strokes and Arcade Fire really made me fall in love with the scene again but I think by the time Arctic Monkeys came a round I was just a bit past it. Now I listen to a bit of everything but most “modern music” passes me by. As I say I kinda just live in a bubble of Phil Spector, Scott Walker, Velvet Underground and Joy Division. Actually that’s a lie, I Iisten to loads of different bands and genres but mostly older stuff. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Iceburg lettuce is a complete waste of time. May as well have a glass of water.

Rubbish name too. Looks nothing like an Iceburg.

4 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Iceburg lettuce is a complete waste of time. May as well have a glass of water.

It's only a sandwich or salad filler any way. I prefer gem lettuce personally. 

Anything is better than rocket, which looks like something you pull up from the hard shoulder on a motorway. 

• Haha 1

Milk alternatives are nice, Almond milk is my favourite. Not great in a coffee because it’s piss weak really but I’ve got one of those Areoccino milk frothers so a whiz in there and it negates that problem slightly. I use and drink green top milk too obviously but I reckon I could switch fully if I wanted to. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Manini said:

Milk alternatives are nice, Almond milk is my favourite. Not great in a coffee because it’s piss weak really but I’ve got one of those Areoccino milk frothers so a whiz in there and it negates that problem slightly. I use and drink green top milk too obviously but I reckon I could switch fully if I wanted to. 

Tried to make my own, but almonds are even more difficult to milk than cats

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

What is the actual process for making almond milk? 

Strong thumbs and patience...

Actually, you soak, blitz and strain. Tried it once, but it was one of those things that I found was easier to buy than make. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Strong thumbs and patience...

Actually, you soak, blitz and strain. Tried it once, but it was one of those things that I found was easier to buy than make. 

Like nuclear warheads then.

• Haha 1

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

I was a sceptic but the barista edition (grey carton) of Oatly is class in coffees

I use that as my day to day replacement for milk (in cereal) but I don't bother with it in coffee as I think it detracts from the taste. I've not tried it heated/frothed though which I've heard a lot of people say its great for.