Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest seanfox778

Liverpool home pre match thread - Colombian cup R3

I fear big time for us tomorrow night. We have no one in midfield to direct operations, actually no one since Drinky left. Looking at a 4-4-2 we will get about 15% of the ball, and the wide men of Musa and Gray are weak in tracking back so Chilwell and Amartey will not know which way to turn. Up front we'll be non-entities as Ihenacho is creeping back to fitness and Slimani,,,, well enough said. Although they will be second string Liverpool will coast into the next round and we'll be in fear again on Saturday. I'm hacked off at mo, there's no bright lights that I can see. 

The big question for me is whether we try to address the midfield issues - no goals from open play in a while, lack of protection for defence etc. - with an experimental change of shape, or see if there's a serious chance of the 4-4-2 working for us this season.

I'm not sure how much Shakespeare agrees with us about shape, based on those post-match comments. I understand them to a degree - he was saying that the opposition did a better job of dropping the ACM into midfield, wide players tucking in, but the truth was that we were outnumbered, and while I'm not going to slate CS, I thought his comments were wide of the mark.

I saw one of the pundits say that we were involuntarily driven into a sort of 3-6-1/3-5-1-1 at times on Saturday. Simpson was often operating as an extra CB, leaving Mahrez to track the winger. Chilwell was often more advanced than the other defenders. Nacho was very deep, often with 30-40 yards between him and Vardy. Albrighton was having to muck in in the centre of the park. So if we're going to find ourselves forced into that sort of shape, it makes sense to have people doing what they're good at. A proper RWB in Albrighton, a proper ACM in Mahrez/Gray, more freedom for Kelechi to be a striker and get closer to Vardy.

Alternatively, he could use this as a chance to see whether there's really any prospect of the 4-4-2 working. A lot of people think this hinges on Silva signing but obviously we can't depend on Silva being the new Drinkwater because (a) he might not be able to play for a while (b) we've still been over-run in midfield for the past year, even with Drinky and (c) players get injured or lose form. So at some point we need to show that we can both make a better fist of it than we did on Saturday and get results from top six sides.

2 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Japutovic, Kasper,Okazaki, Slimani,Ulloa,Iborra, Musa,Chilwell, Dragovic, Amartey, there's ten internationals, against Liverpool reserves ....only one winner....Blue.

2 hours ago, whitwickfox said:

This...... mind you did miss king out 

Are we playing two keepers lads? I’m assuming Japutovic is Jakupovic?? 

Today:

Hamer

Knight   Dragovic  Maguire   Chillwell

Musa   Iborra   King   Gray

Iheanacho   Slimani

4-0 to Leicester against Liverpool's C team. Musa with a hattrick including one off his arse. Slimani to score trademark header after Gray weaves his way past the Liverpool defence at the 15th attempt and his shot ricochets off the foot and knee of their right back which is met by Slimani's head. Ulloa comes on in the last 9 minutes for a laugh, and has one ruled out by the ref because he's just as baffled as we are why we offered him a new contract. Klopp revealed to have been a mannequin for the whole match as he has other things to concentrate on. Shakey holds a pair of (foot)balls at some point.

Saturday:

Kasper

Simpson   Morgan   Maguire   Chillwell

Mahrez   Iborra    Ndidi    Alrbighton

Iheanacho   Vardy

3-1, Vardy with 2 and Nachoman with 1.

I'm possibly going to miss Saturday's game against Liverpool as I'm working in London until mid-afternoon so not sure I'll get the train back in time. 

I was going to go to this instead but I just can't get myself excited for it. I think I'll be staying in the warm and watching a stream tbh. 

I'm almost annoyed with myself for how blasé I've become with the football recently.

13 hours ago, inckley fox said:

The big question for me is whether we try to address the midfield issues - no goals from open play in a while, lack of protection for defence etc. - with an experimental change of shape, or see if there's a serious chance of the 4-4-2 working for us this season.

I'm not sure how much Shakespeare agrees with us about shape, based on those post-match comments. I understand them to a degree - he was saying that the opposition did a better job of dropping the ACM into midfield, wide players tucking in, but the truth was that we were outnumbered, and while I'm not going to slate CS, I thought his comments were wide of the mark.

I saw one of the pundits say that we were involuntarily driven into a sort of 3-6-1/3-5-1-1 at times on Saturday. Simpson was often operating as an extra CB, leaving Mahrez to track the winger. Chilwell was often more advanced than the other defenders. Nacho was very deep, often with 30-40 yards between him and Vardy. Albrighton was having to muck in in the centre of the park. So if we're going to find ourselves forced into that sort of shape, it makes sense to have people doing what they're good at. A proper RWB in Albrighton, a proper ACM in Mahrez/Gray, more freedom for Kelechi to be a striker and get closer to Vardy.

Alternatively, he could use this as a chance to see whether there's really any prospect of the 4-4-2 working. A lot of people think this hinges on Silva signing but obviously we can't depend on Silva being the new Drinkwater because (a) he might not be able to play for a while (b) we've still been over-run in midfield for the past year, even with Drinky and (c) players get injured or lose form. So at some point we need to show that we can both make a better fist of it than we did on Saturday and get results from top six sides.

Why won't you slate Shakey when you've admitted, to put it crudely, he was talking shit in the post match interview.

There are two possibilities for me; he's lying to us, or he does not have a clue what he's doing. 

A slating therefore would be perfectly acceptable!

Archived