Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Come Home Nigel

Would you want NP back as manager?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want NP back as manager?

• Definite Yes
    • Definite No
    • Possibly

51 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That Burnley video actually brings out a certain buzz I can't really put into words. The bloke's ability to create a camaraderie is absolutely remarkable.

Even when we were bottom of the league for months, the togetherness within the team was amazing. I’ve never felt as connected to the club as I did when Nige was in charge. Football is all about the money these days but what Nige did here and the spirit within that squad, brought magic back to the game. 

I decided to check the current odds.  NP 25/1 to return here -- but 7/1 to Villa.  Not sure why they are looking yet again -- just how they roll?

... oh, and Shakey at 16/1 to take WHU over from Bilic  :blink:

Apart from how he treated Knockaert, I think Pearson did a brilliant job, and was the clear reason we won the Premier League.

He created the support structure, he created the team that won us the Premier League.

Great carachter too, he didn’t give a toss about anyone but his group of players and he protected them from the outside world.

A bit of a strange carachter, which creates  the obvious dislike from the bullies, or those that like people to fit in to their way. Always stuck up for his players, which in the end created him leaving.

But, I don’t think he is right for us at this time. 

He always worked with players that had something to prove. He wouldn’t accept the maverick, it was about picking very good players that wanted to get to the next level and he would protect them and help them achieve. 

But now the owners want big big names in the squad, household proven names, they want top six finishes and players that play at that level.

Could Pearson do that? I am not sure. He has never done it before, and he showed while he was here that he found it tough personally in dealing with the pressures when he had the sort of players he liked to work with. How would he deal with the likes of Ieanacho? What sort of players would he suggest we buy? How would that fit with the owners and their new expectations.

For our standards he was a great manager, and I mean great. He brought us success for the first time for years, but also built the team that won us the PL.

But not sure he could do a job for us now, it’s all changed, expectations the lot. 

5 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

I think Pearson did a brilliant job, and was the clear reason we won the Premier League.

He may have laid the foundations but you can't rewrite history

image.png.70aa88b880a2c0bf708f971426d0069f.png

This man won us the league................. :worship:.............:wub:

Ps: With the help of Shakespeare and about 25 Players. Lest we forget

any chance of, "there's only one Nigel Pearson" chants today at Swans? :P

I think a lot of people "hide" (for lack of a better word) behind this idea that he's terrible with the media and thus doesn't have the full ability to be a top manager, it's the easy excuse to use - wheras i would point to the way he handled the media being the ONLY reason we stayed up during the Great Escape. It was a clever way to manipulate (which when Mourinho does it - is seen as the sign of a top manager - Pep as well has his moments!) our situation, we needed a fire behind us to get results as we were playing well and just simply losing - without that tension he created, the us vs. them mentality - we would have spent the final ten weeks of the season continuing to play alright, continuing to get complimented for being in games - and then getting lots of gentle pats on the backs as we got relegated for at least having a go, what a patronising departure that would have been. That fire he created was so darn big it ended up not only pushing us as a club to survival - but also made us the loudest, proudest fans in the country, the most united team in the country - possibly the world at that time. We would not have won the league title without that.

But even despite all the achievements - the most important thing above it all how we went about it, playing with passion, desire and an intensity that wilted even the biggest names on occasions.

What else could we as Leicester fans want than that?

If there were any other realistic choices out there who could do the same i'd be right on board, but there isn't - Marco Silva won't be leaving Watford and he's probably the closest thing out there right now.

5 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

any chance of, "there's only one Nigel Pearson" chants today at Swans? :P

I think a lot of people "hide" (for lack of a better word) behind this idea that he's terrible with the media and thus doesn't have the full ability to be a top manager, it's the easy excuse to use - wheras i would point to the way he handled the media being the ONLY reason we stayed up during the Great Escape. It was a clever way to manipulate (which when Mourinho does it - is seen as the sign of a top manager - Pep as well has his moments!) our situation, we needed a fire behind us to get results as we were playing well and just simply losing - without that tension he created, the us vs. them mentality - we would have spent the final ten weeks of the season continuing to play alright, continuing to get complimented for being in games - and then getting lots of gentle pats on the backs as we got relegated for at least having a go, what a patronising departure that would have been. That fire he created was so darn big it ended up not only pushing us as a club to survival - but also made us the loudest, proudest fans in the country, the most united team in the country - possibly the world at that time. We would not have won the league title without that.

But even despite all the achievements - the most important thing above it all how we went about it, playing with passion, desire and an intensity that wilted even the biggest names on occasions.

What else could we as Leicester fans want than that?

If there were any other realistic choices out there who could do the same i'd be right on board, but there isn't - Marco Silva won't be leaving Watford and he's probably the closest thing out there right now.

Another poster with Pearson tinted specs. We played some bloody terrible football for the majority of the premier league season under him . As a club we want to be competing in the top half of the league. He hasn't a clue tacticly. If we were in the championship he would be a good bet but in this league he will get found out.

17 minutes ago, adam said:

Another poster with Pearson tinted specs. We played some bloody terrible football for the majority of the premier league season under him . As a club we want to be competing in the top half of the league. He hasn't a clue tacticly. If we were in the championship he would be a good bet but in this league he will get found out.

Well if that's your contribution then bugger off to any of the other topics :P

Let me ask you some questions as you haven't contributed much there:

1. Explain to me how he was so terrible with the media - anti-Pearson posters normally lean on this bookend.

2. Did you not feel the passion he instilled in the club during his previous runs? Is "passion" not essential for football nowadays, or do you feel it's an archaic element of football that's not in the modern game and thus redundant?

3. Are you an ostrich? (that was for Nigel :P)

2 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Well if that's your contribution then bugger off to any of the other topics :P

Let me ask you some questions as you haven't contributed much there:

1. Explain to me how he was so terrible with the media - anti-Pearson posters normally lean on this bookend.

2. Did you not feel the passion he instilled in the club during his previous runs? Is "passion" not essential for football nowadays, or do you feel it's an archaic element of football that's not in the modern game and thus redundant?

3. Are you an ostrich?

I didn't feel any passion when he played a back 5 at home to hull! 

I'm not bothered about how he treated the press all I want is a manager who knows what he is doing at this level. It's not much to ask for. 

We're bigger than Nigel Pearson now. It's time to move on and look forward. 

Just now, adam said:

I didn't feel any passion when he played a back 5 at home to hull! 

I'm not bothered about how he treated the press all I want is a manager who knows what he is doing at this level. It's not much to ask for. 

We're bigger than Nigel Pearson now. It's time to move on and look forward. 

To be fair to you mate - that Hull game wasn't the best :P - but alas nobody is perfect in life eh?

My actual first choice for the job would be Allardyce - despite not liking the bloke - he'd keep us up and is a master of coming in mid-season and turning sides around - someone like Pellegrini, Puel, Dyche could be an equally (or more expensive) risk, we're not in a position where we can mess around as the Championship is absolutly lethal now with the money starting to trickle down to there.

But of course i'd love Nigel Pearson back, because overall i just loved the way he made this club feel, a big family all pushing in the same direction

- and to compare it to life...NP is kinda like that girl that's always around, she's not the best looker but she's great in bed, gives a cracking BJ and is lovely to be around and very familar - or you can choose a more attractive (name in this case) one who's probably got the substance of a blunted pencil. Thank Christ Roy's already gone Palace that's all i can say lol

10 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

I would love him to return to Leicester City as Director of Football.

That's actually a really good shout. If the owners wanted to try a new manager, why not bin off Rudkin and get in Pearson who'd only sign players who fit the mould for the right price? He might not want the job but he'd be damn good at it

9 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

To be fair to you mate - that Hull game wasn't the best :P - but alas nobody is perfect in life eh?

My actual first choice for the job would be Allardyce - despite not liking the bloke - he'd keep us up and is a master of coming in mid-season and turning sides around - someone like Pellegrini, Puel, Dyche could be an equally (or more expensive) risk, we're not in a position where we can mess around as the Championship is absolutly lethal now with the money starting to trickle down to there.

But of course i'd love Nigel Pearson back, because overall i just loved the way he made this club feel, a big family all pushing in the same direction

- and to compare it to life...NP is kinda like that girl that's always around, she's not the best looker but she's great in bed, gives a cracking BJ and is lovely to be around and very familar - or you can choose a more attractive (name in this case) one who's probably got the substance of a blunted pencil. Thank Christ Roy's already gone Palace that's all i can say lol

Haha. I agree on Hodgson. That would of been horrific!!!!

7 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That's actually a really good shout. If the owners wanted to try a new manager, why not bin off Rudkin and get in Pearson who'd only sign players who fit the mould for the right price? He might not want the job but he'd be damn good at it

Makes we wonder if the timing of the Leuven move could lead to something like this. Be great if another talisman arrived in the management side of things but I reckon its dawned on the owners about how crucial Nigel was to the club and they don't know where else to turn.

There's a lot of hostility between both sides on the Pearson debate but surely Rudkin is the one thing both sides can surely agree on.

If I were the owners I would have been talking to Pearson. Not to bring him back, but to ask him who he thinks they should bring in to recreate the incredible camaraderie among the players that walked the Championship, did the Great Escape after six months at the bottom of the table and then the Premiership title. And which players already at the club are most likely to be essential components of the new dream.

I really like the DoF idea thats been banded around for Big Nige...

The elements which made this club surge forward on the right tracks were areas like - the Sports Science, Fitness/Recovery Suites - and i can imagine the Player Welfare as well behind the scenes (which Claudio sacked off at the start of his final season) - Pearsons team brought these things to the forefront of the clubs structure - no doubt because Big Nige learned a few things from his time down at Southampton - as they have the DoF format with managers being brought in that fit the club ideals and structure, they've never even flirted with relegation since. We were on that sort of path under Pearson in my books - but we never got to see it through (can't complain there though either as we did win the title by a bit of magic :P) i imagine we'd be just like Southampton now if he had stayed and we'd be a cemented top 10 side.

Ironically the appointment of Claudio and the principle of it could be the thing which causes us a problem now with our next appointment - and that's because unlike Southampton we didn't appoint a manager after Pearson who fit the club backroom structure, we went slightly off centre with it - and luckily for us because Claudio is an older head he didn't get too stuck in until the next season as he was happy to add tweaks and just carry the momentum built.

We really should have given Shakespeare a few more games, some say two more - i'd have said four - it was apparent however that he wasn't as strong leading the team as Big Nige - but if we'd given him four more games and Nigel continued to smash up the Belgian second division then there could have been more of a possibility of him returning alongside Shakey (perhaps joint managers) - now we won't see that unless the shit truly hits the fan and honestly in that spot if i was the two of them - i'd probably not take the job as it would be a hiding to nothing.

Our next appointment MUST without fail be someone who fits our club philosophy. Thinking about it a bit more (i keep shifting my mind as to who should be our next manager in honesty :P) we need someone like a Klopp (obviously not the real thing - so Wagner or Tuchel?) - or in the worst case scenario for a short-term fix a manager who is relativily experienced AND versitile (thus why i keep banding Big Sams name around despite not really liking him that much personally) ...the problem is i can see our owners picking someone who doesn't fit - because they've done it before - Paulo Souza anyone? :rolleyes:

On a quick side note nostalgia can play a part as well of course when appointing a manager - it would be a more emotional logic to do so but that can benefit a club that requires a rebound. Its for that reason mostly why so many (myself included) would like Nigel Pearson back - i'd also apply the same to Martin O'Neill - even though my head tells me it wouldn't work out well in the long run in that specific example.

Unfortunately i'm really concerned we could end up with the wrong manager next...

So yeah Pearson in as at least he would fit :P

On 20/10/2017 at 15:07, David Hankey said:

Just because we looked back once doesn't mean we have to repeat the error. Rarely do returning managers reap success, it seems something some have to do as they see as "unfinished" business.

It wasn't an error, obviously.

There are cases when returning managers aren't successful, though often that will have more to do with managers being older, the game having changed, methods having changed and circumstances at a club having changed. There are also cases when they are successful - as was the case with Leicester and with Pearson last time around. It was one of the two or three most important appointments in our history.

The point I've been making is that, if it does ever happen, it might be better if the circumstances were such that they required a team-builder like NP.

But to suggest that a manager who is known for long-term planning, and who led us to the brink of our greatest achievement thanks to that long-term planning, would represent a conservative or backward-thinking appointment - that doesn't make sense. It's the wrong argument.

Equally absurd are the arguments which state that Pearson wasn't all that wonderful at Leicester, the arguments that remind you of one specific defeat or run of poor form in the course of a lengthy success story, and so on.

I don't think we're ready for a Pearson-esque restructuring and he might not be ready for us either. But claims that 'you shouldn't go back' / 'he was a horrid man' / 'he wasn't all that good anyway' / 'we're bigger than him now' are just silly, and undermine a reasoned argument for us looking elsewhere.

Archived