Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

Just now, ZeGuy said:

The Southampton fan didn't mention that Puel lost half of his first team (injuries, sold). The guy didn't manage only two teams in his career. Read the post from the Nice fan above. You'll learn something else :)

Truth is you have nowhere enough knowledge (as any of us) to really pass judgement about him how he'll fit int he club (I think it's a two edged sword) but still Panic (like most on here) because of the Southampton job, where he actually did good considering the bad hand he's been given, 

I prefer to wait and see. He's not even been even signed for all we know.

Well sounds like you've already passed your judgement on him, so not sure why I'm not allowed to do likewise?

The article from seven years ago - which described his Lyon side as "boring" was too old?

The post from seven hours ago, which described his Southampton side as "boring" was too recent?

Nobody is panicking, but rather using the resources at our disposal to find out as much as we can about the man. So you can 'wait and see' if you like, I'm going to continue to chat about football thanks.

So if he’s held talks with the owners and got the job there must be something about him it’s not like he would of sat there and said “well eh I like boring defence football I hate fans being entertained and I hate my teams scoring the goals”

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You would... except we've just heard exactly the same from Southampton fans haven't we.

His style in Lille and Nice was offensive, as the Nice fan said.

I think he adapts his game depending on the players he has. That's why he locked down in Soton. We can't play in diamond with Fuchs and Simpson imo, so let's see how he will organize the team. If he's signed that is.

9 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Feel underwhelmed but the biggest positive for me is that I trust Southampton's manager recruitment more than ours and they saw something in him just over a year ago so...

9 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Pretty good point tbf. 

No it’s not, the same people got rid 12months after!

I must've missed the part where Southampton have turned into a free scoring attacking dynasty this season.

Southampton - Played 9, scored 8, conceded 9.

Perhaps they have ongoing problems? I'm not ecstatic about this appointment, but it's harsh to right him off based on time at Saints.

18 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Well sounds like you've already passed your judgement on him, so not sure why I'm not allowed to do likewise?

The article from seven years ago - which described his Lyon side as "boring" was too old?

The post from seven hours ago, which described his Southampton side as "boring" was too recent?

Nobody is panicking, but rather using the resources at our disposal to find out as much as we can about the man. So you can 'wait and see' if you like, I'm going to continue to chat about football thanks.

No, I'm not over the moon but I can't in all honesty say he's shit or bad or dull.

There are too many contradicting reports. The guy's a hard one to nail. Nice were exciting to see and you can't bring a club back in Europe for the first time since 40 years whilst being shit.

Nah, more like using anything bad against the guy to justify the bias and the knee jerk reaction. Who do you think will come here? Anything like Ancelotti, Marco Silva or Pellegrini is wishful thinking. A fan's wet dream. Dyche or Puel it is.

6 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

His style in Lille and Nice was offensive, as the Nice fan said.

I think he adapts his game depending on the players he has. That's why he locked down in Soton. We can't play in diamond with Fuchs and Simpson imo, so let's see how he will organize the team. If he's signed that is.

You would need skilled players to do so. He had Ben Arfa, Seri or Germain or Cvitanich in Nice, he had Mirallas, Makoun, Cabaye, Bastos, Lichtsteiner in Lille.

But with Marhez or Vardy, I hardly see how this isn't as good. You'll need attacking fullbacks though, it is essential for him.

I feel similar to when Ranieri was appointed. At the time I was delighted to get Ranieri simply so it meant not getting some of the other dross names that were linked with the job.

This time around I've heard names of Pardew and Giggs. Ughhh

Puel (if appointed) doesn't get you jumping for joy but it may be a shrewd appointment. Dull football or not he finished 8th with the saints and reached the league cup final. So he must have something about him. I reckon once he sees the squad at his disposal at Leicester he wont go as defensive as he did at Southampton.

Lets see what happens today, if he is indeed confirmed then I say welcome to the King Power and lets see you go 1 step further in the League cup this season.

33 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

Hi huys,

I just swing by to give you an opinion on Claude Puel, as he has been Nice mananger for 4 years, and managing in France for quite a long time before that.

Regarding its reputation in France, he is regarded as one of the best French coach (along with Garcia, Wenger ou Deschamps). However, regarding its style of play, it is more confused. He was considered a good coach when he started in Lille, with an offensive style of play and more important, a very good mentor for youngster from the academy. So much that he was brought to Lyon in 2008, when the club club was at its glory apex and he brought them to the CL semi-finals. Yet, he has been very criticized in Lyon for failing to earn any silverware while the club had won the previous 7 ones.

He was sacked, went throught kind of a drought and the signed for Nice, a small club with outdated installations and a tiny budget (something like 35£, which is usual for second tier French clubs. I do remind you that the last of the PL earns 3 times what the French Champion does in tv money). There, he promoted a large amount of player from the academy (amongst whom you may know Amavi, Papy Mendy (which is doing a descent season so far)), proposed a very attractive style of play (4-4-2 in diamond), made with strong pressing to recover the ball, and then sharp passing, a lot of verticality as he likes to say, and a lot of goals. He managed to lead the club to 2 4th place in 4 years, thing that haven't been done in Nice for 40 years. So he is liked for this. However, his contract wasn't renewed because of some clashes. While he is certainly a very good technician and a very good educator for youngster, he is also very stuborn and narrow-mindid. When he makes choices, he won't change (even if it is a disaster, I recall him playing his son RB, it was a nightmare, but kept him 2 seasons until the president fired the player to avoid strong clashes with the fans. One of the reasons of his deparature is that he wanted a contract for his second son, who wasn't any better and the prez said "hell no").

So it is difficult to see what he will do here. For sure, he isn't a guy who likes to be steped on his toes, so he will keep the player straight (until they eventually all let him down if it doesn't work out). He knows how to propose an offensive football, but is he willing to do so in England ? In a club in this position ? I wouldn't risk to say (We were surprised he wasn't with Southampton while the team seemed fit for, so with LCFC). The thing is that it will difficult to balance as he won't budge from what he decided no matter what the results are, because he knows it works, but it just take time sometimes, time that Leicester hardly has.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I'll try to answer to best of my knowledge (which is limited, let's not deny it).

That made me smile.....Trip to Thailand anyone.....

12 minutes ago, Muzzyfox6 said:

Great :(. A French Tony Pulis?

Doesn't even sound that attacking. Think we may have found ourselves a French Gary Megson and we who sat through that know just how exciting it was!

Decidedly nervous about this appoinment.

7 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

You would need players to do so. He had Ben Arfa, Seri or Germain or Cvitanich in Nice, he had Mirallas, Makoun, Lichsteiner in Lille.

But with Marhez or Vardy, I hardly see how this isn't as good. You'll need attacking fullbacks though, it is essential for him.

He 'll also have Nacho, Ndidi, Iborra, Silva. Not that bad.

That's exactly the problem with the diamond. We could do with Chillwell on the left but we don't have one on the right, unless we put Albrighton there. 

15 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Are we allowed to ask where they'd have finished with 6 points more?

Banging on about where they'd ha e finished IF they'd had 6 fewer points seems a bit ...... pointless.

They were 15pts behind 7th.

The point is people keep banging on that he finished 8th like it was a great achievement but the truth is in horse racing terms they won 8th in a photo finish which involved 10 teams. Everton finished one place above Southampton but points wise Southampton's point tally was closer to Hull's who got relegated than it was to the team one place above them.

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Major alarm bells if he can’t speak English! 

We have a British core for whom communication is important. That’s why Ranieri lost them. 

He still won the league with them though.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Major alarm bells if he can’t speak English! 

We have a British core for whom communication is important. That’s why Ranieri lost them. 

Well he does, but in the most French way possible. With an atrocious accent (for our ears at least, as it is supposed to be sexy in England. Maybe he'll charm his way through ^^) and kind of looking for his words. At was like this when he arrived last year, let's just hope he's improuved.

From SaintsWeb:

Look at our home prem games since christmas (Score. Shots. Chances created)
Saints 1-4 Spurs. Shots 9-17. Chances 6-10.
Saints 1-2 WBA. Shots 10-7. Chances 7-4.
Saints 3-0 Leicester. Shots 20-11. Chances 13-7.
Saints 1-3 West Ham. Shots 22-6. Chances 13-4.
Saints 0-0 Bournemouth. Shots 14-12. Chances 11-5.
Saints 3-1 Palace. Shots 25-17. Chances 17-13.
Saints 0-3 Man City. Shots 8-18. Chances 5-10.
Saints 0-0 Hull. Shots 11-9. Chances 4-7.
Saints 0-2 Arsenal. Shots 14-11. Chances 11-9.
Saints 0-0 Man Utd. Shots 17-11. Chances 10-7.
Saints 0-1 Stoke. Shots 15-14. Chances 8-12.

The only teams that took more shots than us were Spurs and ManCity. So for all the "boring negative football" we were playing, other teams were usually sitting back even more making it harder for us to score.
Saints: 165 shots. 105 chances. 9 goals.
1 goal per 18.3 shots/11.7 chances

Opponents: 133 shots. 88 chances. 16 goals.
1 goal per 8.3 shots/5.5 chances

Our last 11 games under Puel only had 1 bottom 6 team so there weren't many "Easy wins". We played 2nd/3rd/5th/6th/9th/10th/11th/12th/13th/14th/18th.

Our football wasn't anywhere near as boring as the scorelines suggested. Our attacking players just sucked at taking chances and only Spurs, Palace and City attacked us properly with the rest sitting back a lot.

2 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

Well he does, but in the most French way possible. With an atrocious accent (for our ears at least, as it is supposed to be sexy in England. Maybe he'll charm his way through ^^) and kind of looking for his words. At was like this when he arrived last year, let's just hope he's improuved.

How come Nice badly drifted in the table the next seasons after being 4th?

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

He still won the league with them though.

Ranieri's English was good enough. In fact he played the press brilliantly during his first season.

My point is that during the second he stopped communicating with the players which led to his demise. Inability to get tactical instructions over and changing the formation too often, etc. What worries me is that if bring in a coach with even worse English, it's just asking for history to repeat itself.

Archived