Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Right-back

21 hours ago, dynamark said:

I'm still not getting the Hamza sub no offence but it worked out OK .

Mahrez owes Simmo a Christmas card cos he does a really good job and lets the oppo player go down the side based on our style of play.Very good on the back post.

Overall underated.

Puel basically said that he needed somebody with the energy and tenacity of Shinji to go and make a nuisance of himself. He spoke to King and explained that he felt Hamza was more suited to this role then him. Surprisingly Puel didn't even consider Amartey in that kind of CDM role, therefore i think he will be played purely as a RB by Puel.

On 4/12/2017 at 08:15, lee7 said:

I've said this time and again before but in my opinion Simpson is one of the most consistent players that we have. He rarely has a bad game. 

The amount of times he clears dangerous balls to the back post out for a corner when there is a player drifting in behind him for an attempt on goal is unreal. 

I agree that that we need stronger competition for his position but I'd be wary of dropping him for a more attacking right back as I fear we'd miss him majorly when defending. 

Look at the impression Chilwell is making at the moment and compare that to what Simpson has shown over the past 2½ years. Chilwell is showing exactly what we lack from Simpson albeit he is a solid defender.

As good as Simpson was last-ditch defending against Man City, he was equally as unsteady against Spurs some days later, mainly because Simpson just isn't a very good footballer.

Just like Fuchs will be phased out by Chilwell, we will need someone who can defend to a reasonable ability but bring us more going forward. Simpson isn't a spring chicken anymore either and while he will always give us a dependable option, we need to develop the squad or risk stagnating.

It's similar to the Fuchs situation really. Simpson should eventually become a very good back up option to someone younger. Danny is another who has no hit the 30 mark and we should be planning accordingly to get someone in alongside rotating with him.

A couple of seasons ago I wanted him nowhere near our club, but unlike many he recognised the errors of his actions, got help and seems to be a much better person for it now, family focused and always giving 100% on the pitch.

Since Puel came in Mahrez has done a lot of tracking back which is nice to see, helping Simpson out anyway!

I'd like us to make a bid for Cedric, in the hope that he got on well with Puel lol 

58 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's similar to the Fuchs situation really. Simpson should eventually become a very good back up option to someone younger. Danny is another who has no hit the 30 mark and we should be planning accordingly to get someone in alongside rotating with him.

A couple of seasons ago I wanted him nowhere near our club, but unlike many he recognised the errors of his actions, got help and seems to be a much better person for it now, family focused and always giving 100% on the pitch.

Since Puel came in Mahrez has done a lot of tracking back which is nice to see, helping Simpson out anyway!

I'd like us to make a bid for Cedric, in the hope that he got on well with Puel lol 

Bit of a sideways step really and to leave the south coast/Hampshire for Leicester?...

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Bit of a sideways step really and to leave the south coast/Hampshire for Leicester?...

Personally think Southampton are only heading in one direction at present, and by January there's every chance we could be top 6 or 7.

I get your point though, he could do a job top 4 but wouldn't get many games... he'd also be PERFECT for Everton but they're not very appealing right now!

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Personally think Southampton are only heading in one direction at present, and by January there's every chance we could be top 6 or 7.

I get your point though, he could do a job top 4 but wouldn't get many games... he'd also be PERFECT for Everton but they're not very appealing right now!

Seamus Coleman will be back for them in the new year. They won't be after a right back I wouldn't have thought.

1 hour ago, shen said:

Look at the impression Chilwell is making at the moment and compare that to what Simpson has shown over the past 2½ years. Chilwell is showing exactly what we lack from Simpson albeit he is a solid defender.

As good as Simpson was last-ditch defending against Man City, he was equally as unsteady against Spurs some days later, mainly because Simpson just isn't a very good footballer.

Just like Fuchs will be phased out by Chilwell, we will need someone who can defend to a reasonable ability but bring us more going forward. Simpson isn't a spring chicken anymore either and while he will always give us a dependable option, we need to develop the squad or risk stagnating.

Trouble is, Chilwell is more attacking than Fuchs. If we sign another attacking full back we may end up becoming too exposed, De Leat and Schlupp spring to mind. 

Simpson is underrated and actually quite vital to the way we play. He reminds mr of Gary Neville. Solid and consistent.

6 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Trouble is, Chilwell is more attacking than Fuchs. If we sign another attacking full back we may end up becoming too exposed, De Leat and Schlupp spring to mind. 

Simpson is underrated and actually quite vital to the way we play. He reminds mr of Gary Neville. Solid and consistent.

The three man midfield with a designated anchor will help that :thumbup:.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Neville offered overlaps and the odd whip. He was also a team and defensive leader.

27 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

No, what will leave us exposed is an attacking fullback who cannot also defend (like De Laet and Schlupp in particular).

Chilwell definitely needs to work on his defending, but some solid decision making and his ability on the ball will negate most of his shortcomings.

The thing is, while defending is obviously important, our main concern has recently been, and will continue to be, scoring goals.

If we only set up a good defense, we will still lose and draw more games than win.

Since our return to the Prem, we've consistently been best when we're on the front foot.

Simpson often struggles with the high press and high line, because he gets counterpressed easily.

He's not confident or good enough on the ball, so if he doesn't release it quick to Mahrez or back to Morgan, the result is often a hoof or a dispossession.

I don't think Simpson is that underrated really. He's pretty good at what he does without making any fireworks, but his limits are well-known by now.

• Like 1

Two attacking full backs is absolutely fine and dare I say optimal for a team that aspires to dominate football matches. It should be used in conjunction with a defensive midfielder who can play just in front of the defence and drop in as a third centre half as and when required.

• Like 1

I think we should look to get a more attacking option at right back but, for me, Simpson has probably been our most consistent player of the season over the course of 15 games.

I don't think it's a case of get a new one and bin Simpson off. I get that people don't like him because of what he did to his previous girlfriend,  but he's been really good this season.

• Like 1

Simpson was our most consistent player over the last 3 games.

He's limited on the ball but his defensive work is still right up there. If anything he might be as good as 2 years ago. Chilwell is the opposite type of player but he's still a bit suspect defending. If we had another player like him on the left we would be left exposed big time.

I was hopeful when Hernandez came in last season but he just wasn't the answer. Since May 2016 we've all called for change to some degree but the likes of Simpson, Albrighton, Morgan and Okazaki (and i've had doubts about all of them at some point) have still continued to have big games and the players we signed that were deemed to be better have invariably had the worst spells of their career.

If anything those 4 players who we all were ready to discard at the start of the year have ended 2017 as some of our most important players.

With the way Puel likes to rotate his squad, Simpson will still play a good amount of games if we bring in an attacking right back. I’d imagine we’d go with the attacking one against the weaker teams and use Simpson for some solidarity against the better teams. Those will be the games where defending well is key to stay in the game.

Simpson's forward forays under Puel are noticeable. He's clearly been working on his crossing and I seem to recall he even had an actual shot recently! His defending also has never been better. We should see how he does with a few months under Puel before writing him off as so easily replaceable in the first 11. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be on the lookout for someone clearly better in Jan if available either.

On 12/5/2017 at 17:45, surrifox said:

I like Chilwell but the adverse comparison with Simpson is unfair and I think Simmo's defending is superior to Chilwell's attacking threat . I can't shake the recollection of Spurs' Son doing Chilwell like a kipper in the Cup last year 

Wasnt that 2 years ago nearly?

4 hours ago, Wizerud said:

Simpson's forward forays under Puel are noticeable. He's clearly been working on his crossing and I seem to recall he even had an actual shot recently! His defending also has never been better. We should see how he does with a few months under Puel before writing him off as so easily replaceable in the first 11. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be on the lookout for someone clearly better in Jan if available either.

No-one is writing him off. We want an alternative and we want competition.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:57, Gerard said:

Two attacking full backs is absolutely fine and dare I say optimal for a team that aspires to dominate football matches. It should be used in conjunction with a defensive midfielder who can play just in front of the defence and drop in as a third centre half as and when required.

Careful with that sort of tactical formation talk. Some on here simply wont understand anything other than two banks of 4 and hitting the channels.