Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Right-back

48 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Not bad shout Kyle Naughton mate. He was mega for us on loan.

Havent seen too much of him for Swansea in the Prem mind, do the Swans fans rate him?

They don't rate him at all from what I can see!

Edited by Tuna

Simpson is very solid as a traditional rightback, however if Claude wants to play overlapping fullbacks, which certainly looked the case at time on Saturday with Chilwell overlapping Albrighton and Simpson way beyond Mahrez at times (which made me nervous with Mahrezs history for tracking back... although to be fair he was excellent Saturday) then I think Simpson is not cut out for that role. He has the pace, but lacks any creative flair to deliver deadly balls and even pop up with a odd goal. So if its a traditional rightback in a 4 then stick with Simpson, if you want an overlapping fullback then we will need to recruit.       

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's  the only position in the squad we've no adequate cover for or what you'd call an attacking full back. If Simpson gets injured or suspended we have to play someone out of position. Amartey doesn't seem to be overly close to breaking in to our side, I think there's going to be a clear out of fringe players in the next 6-9 months. January is notoriously difficult to recruit in so we might not get our long term right back straight the way but I could see us looking at options if available. 

I'd love us to go and get Kyle Naughton, he is proven at this level and fits our profile.

Like.....i......said.......a......long......time.....ago.....

Whether you are looking at RB, CB or CM we can do a lot better in any of those positions than Daniel Amartey.

There are much better RB options out there that we could realistically go for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

Naughton was decent on loan...but that was 7 (seven) years ago! Apparently he's not been great for Swansea. 

yeah naughton would be nothing more than a fringe squad player.. if we buy in jan we need to buy players good enough to get a place straight away in theory.. obviously need to earn it still though.

I think if you go out and buy a premier league quality right-back, they're going to want to start. Danny Simpson has been in a great run of form, and removing him would not only make us a worse team, but it could disrupt the chemistry of the squad.

I'd prefer if we had an academy product, or maybe buy a young right back that needs time to develop. We could bring them into the squad to cover for Danny if he get's injured/banned, and also develop as a future replacement (like chilwell). 

Naughton is a poor shout for me, I'd rather us stick with Simpson or improvise with Albrighton, Amartey or Dragovic if he gets injured.

Either bring in top quality or don't bother. TBF to Simpson he's obviously trying to fill the demands of Puel as he gets much further forward now. I'm happy to with what we have and allow Simpson to develop into that new right back role.

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Naughton is a poor shout for me, I'd rather us stick with Simpson or improvise with Albrighton, Amartey or Dragovic if he gets injured.

Either bring in top quality or don't bother. TBF to Simpson he's obviously trying to fill the demands of Puel as he gets much further forward now. I'm happy to with what we have and allow Simpson to develop into that new right back role.

Is it just me, or is Simpson looking improved in this respect anyway?

His forward passing seems to be crisper and more accurate recently?

Amartey has played well under Puel, albeit one match. I'd rather see us develop our own than buy another. Then again, Puel seems more than happy to give chances to Gray, Chilwell and even Hamza. Trying out both a new left back and right back is probably too much in one go though.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Amartey has played well under Puel, albeit one match. I'd rather see us develop our own than buy another. Then again, Puel seems more than happy to give chances to Gray, Chilwell and even Hamza. Trying out both a new left back and right back is probably too much in one go though.

Amartey played under Appleton for the cup game against Leeds' reserves.

he played well but I can see past the other performances over the last 18 months.

And he is not a right back

I think what everybody has been saying is all true. It's that balance between changing the balance of the team versus a solid and dependable performer.

I think Simpson has been one of our best players over the last two seasons. I watch him sometimes and I think he anticipates and reads the play better than anyone across the back four. That's why it's him who so often turns up with the vital clearance. It would be a gamble to replace him.

However, I do believe in two good players for every position and, unless there is somebody about to appear from the reserves, I don't believe that we have adequate cover for Danny. We could do with someone else who offers a different, more attacking, option. This would allow us to experiment with different formations and be more flexible. Given Puel's indication for more rotation it might mean that we could alternate and not be so reliant on a single option. Also, what happens if DS gets injured? It wouldn't hurt to look for another RB.

1 hour ago, mod hero said:

Amartey played under Appleton for the cup game against Leeds' reserves.

he played well but I can see past the other performances over the last 18 months.

And he is not a right back

Does he have a definite position now? A third choice defensive midfield (or fourth since Puel brought on Hamza instead of him against Spurs). A fifth choice centre half after Maguire, Morgan, Huth and Drago, or perhaps third choice after Huth and Morgan eventually retire. I'd like us to give him a position and develop him.

14 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I think if you go out and buy a premier league quality right-back, they're going to want to start. Danny Simpson has been in a great run of form, and removing him would not only make us a worse team, but it could disrupt the chemistry of the squad.

I'd prefer if we had an academy product, or maybe buy a young right back that needs time to develop. We could bring them into the squad to cover for Danny if he get's injured/banned, and also develop as a future replacement (like chilwell). 

Josh Knight comes to mind.