Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Right-back

With January coming up, I think we have a good quality squad and cover with no need for major surgery given this season’s likely aspirations. We have strikers (Iheanacho, Slimani) and defenders (Dragovic, Huth) who have not really featured but should be ample cover for the first team and Silva to come into midfield. Fuchs and Chilwell are pushing each other on the left but, if I was Puel, I’d be looking at right-back as the only area without cover for the style he wants to play.

Simpson has been doing well but is clearly readjusting the role he has played for the last few years. Amartey could do a job but would probably be similarly defensive to Simpson, Albrighton could do very well in a wing-back role but would need replacing as an attacking winger (especially if we continue playing a three behind Vardy). We could go all out for a new exciting winger and drop Albrighton back, but that might be a costly option as everyone wants those types of player. We may be forced to go and buy a creative attacker/winger/no.10 anyway, if Mahrez goes - so it would be doubly hard to get two.

So, as much as I have been impressed with Simpson trying to adapt his game, I think we’ll have a big push to get in a quality attacking right back. 

Simmo has been immense in the last 3 seasons without any real competition except for Hernandez and maybe Amartey as cover. For most of that time we've really been riding our luck with his fitness and suspensions. Claude will definitely be looking to replace him long term but I think we'll be fine until this end of the season - Amartey had his best game for us at RB against Leeds, plus there are a few youngsters who can play RB that Claude might have his eye on (Darnell Johnson & Josh Knight spring to mind - the latter is known to train with the first team). In the summer though this is definitely one position we need to seriously upgrade quality wise. I just hope the focus isn't on getting in a new keeper :-(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bpfox said:

watched middlesbroughs ADAMA TRAORE play the other day he is a beast with great pace, his defense needs a little work but going forward he was red hot.

lol just a more beastlier version of Schlupp:schlupp:..... However the same ability on the ball.

• Like 1

Chillwell breaks the lines and adds an attacking threat that Simpson doesn't, I think the manager would like another player on the right who also adds that. You then have an attacking option and a defensive option which is ideal for player different ways.

I like Simmo, the only time he looks exposed is when he’s up against real top class quality and Mahrez doesn’t offer much help. 

Having said said that I would like a bit more cover than Amartey or Albrighton dropping back. Simpson is an out and out right back, the one position where we don’t have like for like cover. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

and drop our most consistent defender?

Yes, if there is a better option available that is better suited to a team trying to play football. Same goes for every single player.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

In January we need to stream line the squad not add to it, apart from Silva obviously.

Amartey has been here quite a while and made very little impact, sell him or send him out on loan. Hanging around as possible cover for someone who is very consistent and rarely injured is not helping him or us. Get Darnell Johnson in the squad, or Knight who can cover CB too and show the faith in our youth players.

The January transfer window will be an interesting one, there is no obvious position we need an improvement in so I wouldn't be surprised to see no one of note coming in and for Puel to keep his tinder dry until the summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us being receptive to a few outgoings if there was interest in them. With Puel prepared to give the youngsters a chance anyone who is neither young or established and we would probably welcome a bid for. So that would be:

Jakupovic

King

Musa

Slimani

James

Ulloa

Amartey

Benalouane

It's  the only position in the squad we've no adequate cover for or what you'd call an attacking full back. If Simpson gets injured or suspended we have to play someone out of position. Amartey doesn't seem to be overly close to breaking in to our side, I think there's going to be a clear out of fringe players in the next 6-9 months. January is notoriously difficult to recruit in so we might not get our long term right back straight the way but I could see us looking at options if available. 

I'd love us to go and get Kyle Naughton, he is proven at this level and fits our profile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bpfox said:

watched middlesbroughs ADAMA TRAORE play the other day he is a beast with great pace, his defense needs a little work but going forward he was red hot.

Thanks but no thanks. No need for a speed merchant.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yes, if there is a better option available that is better suited to a team trying to play football. Same goes for every single player.

The thing for me is Simpson does fit our style especially when Mahrez / Gray is on the right wing.

90% of the time Simpson is used as a decoy runner as both of the above are willing to attack their full back and have the skill to go past.

On the other side you have Albrighton who isnt as skillfull but it 100% better at defending. He needs the likes of Chillwell / Fuchs to give him an option and help out. We are a little bit lob sided whic works as when the left back goes forward we can revert to a 3 man defence and keep our shape. If we had the same on both sides we would really be vunnerable to the counter attacked.

• Like 1