Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Right-back

On 7.12.2017 at 14:43, Uncle Monty said:

I echo what mist people have been saying in that Simpson is very consistent, steady and a good defender. He is in, however, the only real position that could probably be improved or at least covered by a other signing. 

I echo,echo...echooooo,he HAS Been,been one of,..one of our best players...playerrrs.

Hes saved our backline on numerous occasions...occasions. So there..!!  There there! theeerre!:P:P

and,and..:P

Hes been indifferent since Christmas,,but you dont just disregard a player whos out of form.

That doesnt mean however,that we shouldnt look to strengthen any position including RB..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Everyone knows that we will be buying a new right back. Simmo also know this so his performances over the last 7 games could drop off a bit. 

Do they? We've needed one for the past 4/5 windows and not signed one so it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't go for one.

• Like 1

Simpson maybe a decent defender, but he isn’t what we need if we want to be more adventurous. Puel will want two attacking full backs, Simpson will more than likely be omitted next season. It’s sentimental thinking like this that prevents us progressing, Simpson has been a steady member of the team, but there is better out there. 

It’s time we stepped up a gear and stopped pissing around, if the owners want European football we will have to mean business. 

• Like 1

I love Simpson but when was the last time he delivered in a cross like Chilwell did for Iborra's goal saturday. Our system is changing and our style of play is progressing and unfortunately that will mean casualties from the old guard but thats part of football. Been superb here but think its time he's replaced as #1 right back.

• Like 2

How many times was he beaten yesterday then strolled back? He was walking around with his arms in the air when the penalty was conceded and if he simply jockeyed back into position, the penalty would likely have been avoided. Sick of watching him play week in week out now, he can't even do what he's meant to be good at anymore

17 minutes ago, Koke said:

Looks like he's capable of playing both RB and LB.

Yeah, played 59 games as right back, 36 as right midfield, 23 at left back, 20 as right wing, 3 at left midfield and 1 behind the striker.

4 hours ago, katieakita said:

Think Danny Simpson will go down as a very under rated great bit of business. Does what it says on the can and has been a much maligned important cog in our success. As defensive fullbacks go he is as good as there is about however we are moving forward and it looks highly unlikely that his forward play fits in with the way the manager wants us to play. Some of the criticism aimed at Puel recently could have been reduced by better delivery from the flanks, looks like we will be looking to bring in attacking full backs but even if his time here is coming to an end the guy does not deserve some of the stick he gets and also turning his off filed life around deserves credit

I'll hold my hand up and admit i was one of the people who tore him to shreds for his well documented off field incident..... But i have to admit he's been fully committed  to us and has been the consummate professional. He's been dedicated and hard working and has been consistently good.

Fair play to him.

• Like 2

Still one of the best defensive right backs in the league. Reads the game well and covers the RCB excellently. He would be really useful if we ever played 3 at the back actually. 

But the way Puel wants us to play, he'll need to improve extensively going forward to keep his place. 

35 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Do you all reckon Simpson would have a problem playing as second choice? I assume if we get someone we would then move Amartey to Cb.

I actually don't think he'd have *too* much of an issue with it personally. He clearly likes it here, we're a steady top flight club in the grand scheme of things, have supported him through some questionable off field bother, and he's not getting any younger. Wouldn't be totally shocked if he moved to MLS over the next couple of years, though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

Do you all reckon Simpson would have a problem playing as second choice? I assume if we get someone we would then move Amartey to Cb.

Simo clearly loves the club (is he the only current player to have a LCFC related tattoo?) and will see out his contract regardlessI think what he really wants is to finally score a goal for us and then he can happily see out the rest of his days here, whether or not that is on the bench.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kisnorbo fox said:

Watched a few sevilla games this season, and there full back sergio escudero would be a great buy for us. Great at going forward and playing an attcking role. Also gets back and defends well and can win a ball in the air. Would be worth a look IMO.

He the left footed one? Think he hit the bar in the CL game at our place

Simmo has been a fantastic servant but his limitations outweigh his good defensive diligence at the level we want to be at IMO.  He’s great at covering his CB colleagues at the far post but struggles against traditional wingers who can draw him out wide and outpace him. His defensive endeavour is great as is his general effort but his distribution is poor and as an attacking full back he hasn’t got the skills to really threaten. I prefer Amartey tbh but defo we need a new RB.