Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Clever Fox

What Value Maguire and Mahrez now.?

20 minutes ago, murphy said:

Well we got Maguire for a bargain in the first place.

Also, we sold Kante for six times what we paid for him 12 months previous.

We paid 400k for Mahrez, he must be worth 150x that now.

And he's been absolutely nowhere near the levels of either of those players, they were also players from abroad, where you stand to make a far high profit. Can anyone seriously say for sure Maguire has improved on the level he was playing at last season? It's not like he's proven himself in a better league.

Could we get more money now, yes of course. The market moved on almost as soon as we bought him. But talks of £40m + is just fanciful at the moment IMO.

10 minutes ago, thebluefox said:

I can’t understand why people would be happy to accept less for a proven match winner,who are always the most expensive, than the price of a centre half (even if he is  a decent one) whose only success is in Scotland.

Personally I think Mahrez is as good as Coutinho and look how much Liverpool want for him. You could argue Mahrez would be even more effective in that Liverpool attack than ours.

I think your 100% correct and Riyad is very much as important to us as Coutinho is to Liverpool probably more so as we will struggle to attract a talent like him to come us even with the money in the bank - personally I would not sell him than less we were to get £100m but there is a reality in that the player has been given certain assurances that if a BIG club comes in with an offer that is reasonable that we will not stand in his way for European football. Massively difficult situation because we cannot compete with Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barca etc than less we show a real intent to make the step to be a serious competitor at the top levels of football.

Despite losing two of our best players ever (Kante and I know abuse will follow but i include Drinky) we have got the makings of another fantastic 11 if you have the backbone of Schmeichel, Maguire, Ndidi, Riyad and Vardy which with 2 or 3 upgrades on starting eleven could definitely compete with most of the Top 6 however, can we attract and recruit the right players whilst keeping these players happy - its a difficult situation for the owners.

Personally this current squad has the potential to be our best ever but needs some significant investment in 2 or 3 players to push us forward whilst probably needing to pay the likes of Riyad an even larger wage - I would do it if I had the owners money and try to make the next leap knowing that it has taken Man City and Chelsea mega money to break into the upper levels over the last 10 to 15 years.

Its a gamble and are we capable of being big enough to warrant it I am not so sure but we screwed up the recruitment and development after 15/16 but this is way different from any other time in the clubs history and i think the next 6 months could be pivotal in the next 5 to 10 years for the club and its standing.

• Like 1

Mahrez is the player that differentiates our team from almost all others outside the top 6. Losing him would be like Spurs losing Kane in my view and I highly doubt we would be fortunate enough again to uncover another unknown replace him.

As the post above suggests, this is indeed a critical moment where, if we can retain Mahrez and land another outstanding talent the club can absolutely push forward. Failure to do so though and Mahrez will go to seek his fortune elsewhere and we will become just another also ran in the Premiership.

Edited by Bablemikey

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And he's been absolutely nowhere near the levels of either of those players, they were also players from abroad, where you stand to make a far high profit. Can anyone seriously say for sure Maguire has improved on the level he was playing at last season? It's not like he's proven himself in a better league.

Could we get more money now, yes of course. The market moved on almost as soon as we bought him. But talks of £40m + is just fanciful at the moment IMO.

I just use those examples to show that a players value can shoot up in a short period of time.

I think he has improved and now has international recognition.  I agree that he is not the finished article but I think he has overtaken Keane as the best English defensive prospect in the Premier league.  Personally I would rather keep Maguire than get 50m for him.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Weve only conceded two less than Swansea and he's been personally at fault for a number of goals. He has some way to go to be worth 3/4 times what we paid for him already

Good post. This is realistic. Maguire at present I think would command 25 mill (ish) as I think we got him cheap.

52 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Good post. This is realistic. Maguire at present I think would command 25 mill (ish) as I think we got him cheap.

There's a difference in what we'd accept and what people would bid. At this moment I'd hazard a guess that he could get bids of anything between £22m and £32m, I doubt we'd accept a bit of that amount that. It would need to be £35m-£45m before we'd even consider it I'd imagine. 

• Like 2

I like Maguire but some of his mistakes get glossed over more than other players. There are plenty of times this season he has been turned just before we've conceded (notably Liverpool away and Huddersfield away) and I can only imagine if it was Morgan, for example, the hammering he'd get in comparison to Maguire.

Maguire, for me, is probably worth about £20mill now or his fee might not have moved at all. Didn't we pay £15mill for him (a defender that had been relegated) ? 

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Valuing Maguire is pointless. We wouldn't sell him anyway as we don't need to but if he wanted to 'leave' you've got to take John Stones fee as an exampl. £30m these days is absolute peanuts.

i do agree I think Maguire is slightly over-rated in the fact that they wank over him on MOTD (probably why he's in the England team) and he runs with the ball out the defence as well as scoring a good number of goals. Defensively Simpson and Huth are better

22 hours ago, Albert said:

With the transfer fees in the current market and taking into account the wealth of our owners, the contract he’s tied down to, achievements he’s achieved & his stats compared to players in his position across Europe along with his uniqueness & commercial value to a club he’s easily a £80m-£100m player.

Actually i’ll change my previous estimated value to £120m-£150m reading these stats!!

To think we signed him as a complete unknown from the French league for 400k is unbelievable!

Witnessing him develop into such an amazing talent & thinking about all those amazing moments of beautiful football he’s given us makes me feel very lucky indeed. The most gifted player I’ve seen wearing the shirt and it’ll be a very sad day when he eventually leaves. I’m just glad I was there to see it all!

0F665493-EF82-4920-8FCE-7EF8A2990471.png

• Like 2

On 02/01/2018 at 20:35, Babylon said:

You'd be lucky to get more than £25-£30m for Maguire if we wanted to sell. Mahrez we'd still only get the £35 - £45m range IMO, I just don't think anyone would pay more than that and eventually he'll throw his toys out with bids reaching the £40m mark. 

Uh Oh ... i would be super upsetty if we sold Mahrez for less than £45m. I dont think he will be going anywhere is Jan but come summer, i'd like to think we will hold out for a big bid. 

6 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Uh Oh ... i would be super upsetty if we sold Mahrez for less than £45m. I dont think he will be going anywhere is Jan but come summer, i'd like to think we will hold out for a big bid. 

I never wanted him to leave in the summer but I'd have reluctantly accepted around the £50m mark because he had a relatively poor 2016/17 after failing to deliver on his previous world class season. 

His stats this season are back to the Mahrez of the title winning season. Only Silva and Sane of Man City have more assists but Riyad has more goals.

I just think we're being fooled into believing that £50m is good money for him but if he was at a top six club £100m probably wouldn't buy him. We're talking of a player who came 7th in the Balon d'Or and was PFA POTY two seasons a go and is now performing just slightly below that standard today. He could easily go to Liverpool for £50m and they double their money in a year after he shows he's still one of the best players at a top club.

I respect he may want to leave to better himself but I would suggest £80m is a fair price. I don't think Coutinho and Hazard are a level above him at all and their clubs wouldn't entertain anything under £100m.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 20:35, Babylon said:

You'd be lucky to get more than £25-£30m for Maguire if we wanted to sell. Mahrez we'd still only get the £35 - £45m range IMO, I just don't think anyone would pay more than that and eventually he'll throw his toys out with bids reaching the £40m mark. 

Disagree now that Van Dijk's gone for so much. Stones went for £50mil and for all Maguire's made a few errors, Stones was often at fault for Everton.

I could see us getting £40mil for Maguire in the summer.

Mahrez we should not take anything under £60mil for me now. I'm now absolutely convinced he's top class.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I never wanted him to leave in the summer but I'd have reluctantly accepted around the £50m mark because he had a relatively poor 2016/17 after failing to deliver on his previous world class season. 

His stats this season are back to the Mahrez of the title winning season. Only Silva and Sane of Man City have more assists but Riyad has more goals.

I just think we're being fooled into believing that £50m is good money for him but if he was at a top six club £100m probably wouldn't buy him. We're talking of a player who came 7th in the Balon d'Or and was PFA POTY two seasons a go and is now performing just slightly below that standard today. He could easily go to Liverpool for £50m and they double their money in a year after he shows he's still one of the best players at a top club.

I respect he may want to leave to better himself but I would suggest £80m is a fair price. I don't think Coutinho and Hazard are a level above him at all and their clubs wouldn't entertain anything under £100m.

100% agree ! 

4 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Only way I see someone paying more is if they sell a player for a huge amount. E.g.. Coutinho, Liverpool could go higher. But his form is so up and down I can't see someone punting more than £50m even then.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Only way I see someone paying more is if they sell a player for a huge amount. E.g.. Coutinho, Liverpool could go higher. But his form is so up and down I can't see someone punting more than £50m even then.

Could be something in this though if he keeps his current form up then 50million would be a bargain. We've plenty of evidence to see what 25-30million gets these days and Mahrez is on another planet to some of those guys.

Maguire must be worth at least 30 million in the current market. He's as good as keane at Everton. Our problem with him is if he does well in the world cup the vultures will start to circle. He's young, can improve and English!

Mahrez is not cup tied for the Champions League and that makes him even more attractive to big clubs at present.

7 hours ago, reynard said:

Could be something in this though if he keeps his current form up then 50million would be a bargain. We've plenty of evidence to see what 25-30million gets these days and Mahrez is on another planet to some of those guys.

Maguire must be worth at least 30 million in the current market. He's as good as keane at Everton. Our problem with him is if he does well in the world cup the vultures will start to circle. He's young, can improve and English!

Mahrez is not cup tied for the Champions League and that makes him even more attractive to big clubs at present.

Maguire won't get in front of Cahill (who seems like an automatic choice even though he isn't actually that good), Smalling, Jones or Stones.

12 hours ago, Gerard said:

11 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

100% agree ! 

Me too.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think people undervalue our players because we are a "small club " when you see the stats posted earlier  about goals and assists why should we let him go for a third of the prices quoted for Hazard or Coutinho the only difference is the parent club.

Before people start spewing consistency, Hazard was shit for most of the season Moreneo got sacked and am sure i remember Liverpool fans moaning about Coutinho being inconsistent.

Mahrez has been in a premier league team that won the league. A proven winner as is Hazard.

Regardless of people saying we were lucky with the big teams failing we beat all the other so called sleeping giants and supposed big guns.

As you can possibly tell it rankles when people think it is ok to stomp over "smaller clubs" 

Edited by Motty
addition
  • Like 1

With Mahrez’s form one of the best in the premier league at the moment. If anyone wants to take Mahrez in this window I would take no less than £60-£65m. 

Prices are crazy at the moment & you have to take the VVD deal as a way to get more money ourselves. Like Liverpool shown. If the club wanted Mahrez bad enough then they will cough up the money.