Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Vardy breaks a new record

29 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

No-ones pretending that though. You're arguing against something no-one has said. But, "big six" is not a thing - it's however many people want to talk about at the time, and scoring against whatever arbitrary number the "big" sides is at is not worthy of a record, regardless of how impressive it might be to score against those sides.

I think you're getting too hung up on the wording and forgetting the meaning.

Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have been England's best 6 clubs for nearly a decade.

To score against them all in one season is quite the achievement. 

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 2

If he had a Brazilian passport he’d be playing for one of the Worlds elite clubs. 

What he gives to a team in workrate, passion & desire is priceless and the stats he’s got shows he’s up there with the best of them! 

Lukaku 75m

Morata 70m

Lacazette 55m

Aubameyang 60m

When you compare him to all of those and what they individually offer a team I’d have Vards over each & everyone one of them!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gerbold said:

1-Given the chance he could score against just about any team.

2-He's a better player than Kane -

3-fantastically accurate passer.

It reminds me of when someone asked John Lennon if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world. He told the interviewer he wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles. Vardy's probably a better passer than all but Mahrez. Puel and co. have to find a way to bring him further into the game.

1- Any player "could" score against any team

2- No, just NO!

3- Today i learned that vardy is an underutilized regista.

8 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Given the chance he could score against just about any team. He's a better player than Kane - fantastically accurate passer. It reminds me of when someone asked John Lennon if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world. He told the interviewer he wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles. Vardy's probably a better passer than all but Mahrez. Puel and co. have to find a way to bring him further into the game.

That never happened, it was a jasper Carrot joke.

8 hours ago, DrezZone said:

Instead of actually feeling glad that a Leicester player earned that achievement, they slate the whole idea.

GG Foxestalk

This community is getting more toxic by each match IMO.

Toxic? Really? Nobody is criticizing Vardy or the club just pointing out its a silly stat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Doctor said:

It was the big four a decade ago, then the big five when man city got their money, now spurs are media darlings it's the big six... if we were to establish a fight for sixth and cut everyone else adrift, we'd join the big 7. It's a meaningless grouping, hence a meaningless stat

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

When did Manchester City become a big club?

Think the two of you are trying a little too hard to miss the point, to be fair. 

Who cares what history or prestige Man City have, who cares if the media are frothing at the gash over their "big six" label. 

They're the six best clubs in the league, they've spent billions on players, their squads are vastly better than everyone else, they're pulling away creating their own mini league and it's only gotten worse since we won it. 

Their own strikers are flat track bullies, Kane, Aguero, they love a hattrick against dross like us but they all go missing against United and Chelsea etc. 

Scoring goals consistently against the best opposition is just another example (along with his immense shots to goals ratio) of how brilliant a striker Vardy truly is. 

Yeah, okay, it doesn't really mean anything and it's not a quantifiable record he's going to go down in history for but it's actually just as impressive if not more so than his 11 in a row against muck like Newcastle. 

Playing it down just so you can appear like a pair of against modern football hipsters is a bit off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Webbo said:

Bit of a meaningless stat. Harry Kane is not likely to score against Spurs, Aguero won't score against Man City.

lol Good point. Hadn't even considered that. 

What is in no doubt is that Vardy is a big game player. He's going to be so hard to replace at some point.

Legend.

10 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

It is impressive, I hope Southgate has worked out that JV works well against better teams.

It is all the more impressive considering that I have been informed that JV has lost a yard of pace. What would I do without FT's posters keeping me up to date with quality factual information, via their radar gun eyes presumably. 

I think he may have lost a little zip,  but he's technically he's much better all round player!

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Think the two of you are trying a little too hard to miss the point, to be fair. 

Who cares what history or prestige Man City have, who cares if the media are frothing at the gash over their "big six" label. 

They're the six best clubs in the league, they've spent billions on players, their squads are vastly better than everyone else, they're pulling away creating their own mini league and it's only gotten worse since we won it. 

Their own strikers are flat track bullies, Kane, Aguero, they love a hattrick against dross like us but they all go missing against United and Chelsea etc. 

Scoring goals consistently against the best opposition is just another example (along with his immense shots to goals ratio) of how brilliant a striker Vardy truly is. 

Yeah, okay, it doesn't really mean anything and it's not a quantifiable record he's going to go down in history for but it's actually just as impressive if not more so than his 11 in a row against muck like Newcastle. 

Playing it down just so you can appear like a pair of against modern football hipsters is a bit off. 

No it isn’t at all. Not all of his goals were against ‘muck’. Scoring in 1 of 2 games, 6 times is nowhere near as good as scoring 11 in a row in the Premier League.

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

When you actually look at this in further detail, Aguero's (20 in 30) record against the big teams is actually more impressive than Vardys (23 in 43). 

However what these 'facts' don't every establish with Vardy or Mahrez's achievement playing for us is that we are a team who have less possession, attack less, concede more. That's remarkable - Vardy had two chances on Saturday, neither clear cut and one of them ended up in the goal. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

No it isn’t at all. Not all of his goals were against ‘muck’. Scoring in 1 of 2 games, 6 times is nowhere near as good as scoring 11 in a row in the Premier League.

Alright I was exaggerating a little but his eleven in a row (which was fantastic by the way, I'm not undermining it) included Bournemouth, Stoke, Villa, Norwich, Palace, West Brom, Watford and Newcastle. 

That's a fair bit of muck. 

I'm not playing down the achievement, that's fantastically impressive. 

But scoring consistently as he does (not just this season) against the top clubs is also a brilliant reflection of his ability. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Alright I was exaggerating a little but his eleven in a row (which was fantastic by the way, I'm not undermining it) included Bournemouth, Stoke, Villa, Norwich, Palace, West Brom, Watford and Newcastle. 

That's a fair bit of muck. 

I'm not playing down the achievement, that's fantastically impressive. 

But scoring consistently as he does (not just this season) against the top clubs is also a brilliant reflection of his ability. 

That is a bunch of average teams, I hadn’t checked the run of games. 

For me, there’s no doubting his ability either. He’s brilliant and it’s fair to say he thrives playing against the big teams. 

This new ‘record’ or whatever just shows he’s the best (striker) of the rest, which I think we could all agree on anyway, and even the best players don’t turn up for the big games. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

The thread's about Vardy - so, yes, Vardy's a better player than Kane. I'll qualify that for you by stating that I consider his passing better than Kane's. Both are phenomenal goalscorers but Vardys passing makes him the more effective player..

Really?

I'm looking forward to the sequels: Why Andy King is better than Iniesta, and Cristiano Ronaldo: A Poor Man's Jermaine Beckford.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

I'm looking forward to the day when sarcastic fookers like you back up your posts with a bit of reasoned evidence. But I'll be waiting a long time.

I presumed that I didn't need to, because it's so bleedin' obvious.

He's scored roughly 30 goals a season for the last 4 seasons. He's clearly a better striker than Vardy, and that's no slight on Vardy either, because he's a cracking player, but the only time he's hit those kind of numbers is when he played for Fleetwood. 

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

I presumed that I didn't need to, because it's so bleedin' obvious.

He's scored roughly 30 goals a season for the last 4 seasons. He's clearly a better striker than Vardy, and that's no slight on Vardy either, because he's a cracking player, but the only time he's hit those kind of numbers is when he played for Fleetwood. 

Better goalscorer =/= better player is I suspect his position (and even then you could argue Kane's better goals per game is purely because he takes more shots, Vardys goals per shot ratio is superior to Kane, hell its superior to most strikers in the world). Vardys all round game is better than Kane's, no question

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

Oh - you definitely need to state the "bleeding obvious" - as 'The Doctor' has pointed out (with some evidence to back it up - unlike you) that Vardy's goals per shot ratio is superior to Kane's. But if you can be arsed to find contradictory evidence, rather than listen to your own half-baked opinions then I might pay you some attention. Kane's playing for a team which gives him far more opportunity to score. Vardy puts more work in at harrying the opposition defence. His passing and positioning is self-evidently superb and his goal scoring more precise and composed than Kane's. Vardy's main supplier of opportunities has often gone missing on the pitch for the last two seasons (and literally at the end of the transfer window).

Best you don't presume - it comes over as arrogance. You don't want that, do you?

lol You've really got your knickers in a twist about this, don't you. Take of those blue-tinted specs for one moment.

"Goal per shot ratio" isn't a great statistic. Yeah, it might show how clinical someone is. Or, it might just show that Kane takes a lot more speculative efforts than Vardy, who tends to wait 'til he's in on goal to shoot. Either is fine, but the only stat that matters at the end of the day is goals scored. If you take 4x as many shots and score twice as many goals, that's still better than having 1 shot and 1 goal. Kane has outscored Vardy every season, including our title winning season (where it can't be argued that Tottenham had the better team). Maybe Vardy would score more in a better team, but probably not significantly so - Vardy needs a team that plays to his strengths, and lets him hit on the counter.

Look up the statistics and you'll see that Kanes statisics dwarf Vardys. His passing percentages, key passes, chances created, etc. are all better. His hold up play is better, his match ratings are better, and most importantly, his goal scoring is better. Even his interceptions and tackles are better this season. He's won the golden boot for the past 2 seasons, and looks set to possibly win it for a third time in a row. There's a reason why Harry Kane will lead the line for England. There won't even be a debate about it, because it's that clear cut. If you ask any person who isn't a Leicester fan, who is the better footballer, and they'll say Harry Kane. Maybe Vardy is more clinical, but then again, maybe so is Iheanacho. That's not the only metric for a football player. 

Look, I can see why people would say otherwise. I'm really not a big fan of Kane; he's a bit of a tosser (especially during the title season), and it's difficult to see how he got so good after being so average for us. And defending Kane on a Leicester forum is going to be an unpopular, and thankless task. But quite frankly, trying to argue that Vardy is the better player is delusional, as almost every single statistic, public opinion, and literally just common sense says otherwise. Would I trade Kane for Vardy? No, but only because of sentimental reasons. Do you possibly think that as a Leicester fan, you may just be a teensy bit biased?

• Like 2