Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Usually an ale drinker and especially Stouts and Porters.

To my shame today, whilst working in Belfast and not knowing my way around, I have sought out the nearest Wetherspoons, where I have ordered two pints of Carlsberg.

There were two women spewing by the side of the pub as I came in, as well.

:revenge:

Still, slightly better, than taking a bag of cans and a prepacked sandwich to my hotel room.  

• Haha 2

I've never drank a craft beer in my life, im guessing its a type of bitter? Which to me is like flat lager. Maybe i should have posted this in the unpopular opinions thread? 

Fave beers are Becks, San Miguel and Stella, the latter being fine since i have no husband (or wife) to go home and beat :D

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I've never drank a craft beer in my life, im guessing its a type of bitter? Which to me is like flat lager. Maybe i should have posted this in the unpopular opinions thread? 

Fave beers are Becks, San Miguel and Stella, the latter being fine since i have no husband (or wife) to go home and beat :D

Craft Beer just means "That'll be another two pounds, please".  

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Nice, what have you got on?

I don’t literally mean what are you wearing btw ?

Can't remember what I put my name down for haha but there's loads of local stuff obviously, I'm not too knowledgable about ales, stouts, porters and the like but I'll pick it up

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Craft beer to define it would be beer from smaller, independent breweries - that's where the 'craft' comes from. 

It's become a bit of an umbrella term, especially for hipster beers though

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It's become a bit of an umbrella term, especially for hipster beers though

Agreed - it's completely and utterly skewed now - but that's the origin. Craft meaning a small brewery taking time to produce a 'crafted' beer; normally a small batch too. It's not specific to a type of beer but IPA seems to be its main focus because the ingredients for that are more readily available. 

Now though you look at what someone like Brewdog do in terms of production and testing - that's all out of the window. 

• Like 1

In America, a lot of our communities had German immigrants and a history of brewing. Beer was a staple of the agrarian societies they came from and emigrated to. When they settled here, they would create their own breweries to serve their communities. Unfortunately, the Prohibition movement shut down their breweries, and really destroyed the beer culture here.

What came after Prohibition were breweries like Budweiser, Miller, etc. making cheap mass produced adjunct lagers with the corn that was readily available in the Midwest. That beer had a literal monopoly on the market for about 50 years, and completely distorted what beer was in American minds. Generations came and went drinking beer that was nearly uniform in taste. 

It wasn't until the 1980's that new breweries we're legally allowed to enter the market. Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, etc. really paved the way for "Craft Beer" to fill a very small niche of drinkers who wanted something new and different. Now it's as if there's a brewery on every street corner. There's over 300 breweries in my state alone, for a population of around 10M. It just makes sense that people would want a locally produced product made with higher quality ingredients, even if it is more expensive. 

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

F2F.JPG.3cab4f7fd7ce18f22388d84b9941400e.JPG

- Get yourself to the Snobbery, mate.  They tapped a firkin of Imperial Stout brewed with Saigon cinnamon and candied virgins tuft.  Goes great with baby sea turtles in the shell.

- I prefer a Carling or a Bud Light.  Tried that crafty stuff and it was heavy and bitter.

- You would rather drink watered down cow piss than something you can actually taste?

- I don’t really like things that taste.  And I don’t like change.  Carling was good enough to puke up when I was 14 and it’s good enough to puke up now.

- Seriously?  Do you even have a penis?

- Do you even have a friend?

- Dullard.

- Hipster. 

Looking forward to this evening and my last proper pint until next weekend.

My current contract job is 80 miles from where I live so I stay down there during the week.

Tadley, Hants. is about the size of Enderby. It has just two pubs.

The Fox and Hounds has four hand pumps but it frequently has no draught beer actually on tap, and last week I had to make do with Guinness.

Are their sales so bad that they don't even get through a barrel every four days?

5 minutes ago, Smudge said:

My last pint was in the Organ Grinder, Loughborough Jan 2016, looking forward to my next one in December.

I thought traveling up to North Leics for a pint of Timmy Taylor’s was a bit of a trek ...   but you’ve beat me there mate ..   :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

I thought traveling up to North Leics for a pint of Timmy Taylor’s was a bit of a trek ...   but you’ve beat me there mate ..   :thumbup:

Christmas with my son, he lives in Quorn so I'll look out for Timmy Taylor's. 

• Like 1