Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

Like it or not, we do have to learn how to play with the ball. We had a season where our golden formula of 20-30% possession and counter-attack sucker punches worked and we won the league, but teams wised up to it. We also lost a key player in Kante who won the ball or forced the error to start the counters. Not only that, but Vardy is approaching an age where he will gradually lose a bit of pace, and teams usually defend much deeper against him now anyway. We have to learn to play passing football, it's just how it is. 

Whether or not Puel is the right man to do that I don't know. Personally I quite like seeing us have the ball, but we're struggling to break teams down and we end up passing it sideways and backwards quite a lot because we're lacking that extra bit of quality you need if you're gonna play this type of football. I'd like to see what happens in the summer transfer-wise because I genuinely think with the right players we can turn possession into goals. 

Edited by MarshallForEngland
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

MasPuel is not the only man in the football universe capable of overhauling the squad and removing the "garbage".

I find it hard to understand why some fans consider Puel so competent that they overlook his failings at Southampton, his falling outs at clubs in France (Lyon, Nice) and get some sort of tunnel vision where there is one room and Claude Puel and nothing else.

Mark my words, the issues will continue further if we don't give a manager time and also rid of the bad eggs in the dressing room.

I think its unbelievably harsh to think another manager would have done much better, yes burnley and atm everton are ahead, but it's safe to say this season should be season as a transitional one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarshallForEngland said:

Like it or not, we do have to learn how to play with the ball. We had a season where our golden formula of 20-30% possession and counter-attack sucker punches worked and we won the league, but teams wised up to it. We also lost a key player in Kante who won the ball or forced the error to start the counters. Not only that, but Vardy is approaching an age where he will gradually lose a bit of pace because of his age, and teams usually defend much deeper against him now anyway. We have to learn to play passing football, it's just how it is. 

Whether or not Puel is the right man to do that I don't know. Personally I quite like seeing us have the ball, but we're struggling to break teams down and we end up passing it sideways and backwards quite a lot because we're lacking that extra bit of quality you need if you're gonna play this type of football. I'd like to see what happens in the summer transfer-wise because I genuinely think with the right players we can turn possession into goals. 

its for that reason alone I personally want to see a transition from our old standard playing style, he's the reason it worked.

and with regards to your last paragraph, I feel it's more to do with the quality of players than the manager; it's clear some of them are thick as pig shet 

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Mark my words, the issues will continue further if we don't give a manager time and also rid of the bad eggs in the dressing room.

I think its unbelievably harsh to think another manager would have done much better, yes burnley and atm everton are ahead, but it's safe to say this season should be season as a transitional one.

Gone are the days of transitional seasons I'm afraid :mellow:

Just now, WoodyFox said:

“They improve like Demarai, like Chilwell, Maguire, Ndidi, Barnes, Choudhury"

Yep, seen a real improvement in these players this season. What is this guy on?!

As 'pro'-Puel as I am, I do agree this was a weird comment. Arguably only Maguire and N'didi and somewhat recently Chilwell have seen any sort of improvement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

As 'pro'-Puel as I am, I do agree this was a weird comment. Arguably only Maguire and N'didi and somewhat recently Chilwell have seen any sort of improvement.

You'd like to have improving players such as these surrounded by already quality established players to take some of the pressure off, and I'm afraid that isn't what we've got. Whether or not that is Puel's fault is up for debate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

It's just not a sustainable business model, can you imagine if at work they sacked your manager every 6 months?

I agree, I'm all for the transitional seasons, just can't get away with them in today's game.

What a mess we are. I get the frustration at the playing style, I’m in that camp too but at some point we need a manager with the strength to make changes to the playing staff in terms of moving on the old guard and changing our style. 

Im not convinced Puel is the right man for that job but we have at least given him 6 months to assess the squad so he should (I bloody hope so anyway) have a recruitment plan in mind. 

If we sack him now it’ll no doubt take a few weeks to appoint a replacement. They then need to assess the squad and sign the players to suit their plans. With the World Cup and the window closing early that’s a very tight timescale to do that effectively. 

Personally im still in the keep Puel camp as sacking him just doesn’t give me any hope for an overhaul and positive transfer window that we desperately need. 

Fingers crossed for some positive football these last 4 games and some unity at the club. 

42 minutes ago, MarshallForEngland said:

Like it or not, we do have to learn how to play with the ball. We had a season where our golden formula of 20-30% possession and counter-attack sucker punches worked and we won the league, but teams wised up to it. We also lost a key player in Kante who won the ball or forced the error to start the counters. Not only that, but Vardy is approaching an age where he will gradually lose a bit of pace, and teams usually defend much deeper against him now anyway. We have to learn to play passing football, it's just how it is. 

Yes, but does it have to be all or nothing? Can’t we mix it up with more confidence on the ball, but also fast attacking football, pressing, etc?

3 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

actually feel sorry for the next manager we get in if we get rid of Puel, since im sure some of our "fans" will already be wanting them out even after the first game they have in charge

I want him out already. Done nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seen a lot of stuff angled out the players and player power.

The most recent stuff hasn't come from the players. I wouldn't suggest he's got their support though.

Simple fact is Puel has very few supporters now, the backroom staff don't know what the **** he's on about, neither do the players and now the boardroom has started to see it.

What do people mean by transitional season? To me while we're in transition as should be seeing slight improvement every week, the manager's ideas slowly working into the player. A lot on here seem to think transition means we get a little bit worse every week for the second half of the season and then at the start of next season, after maybe signing a new RB  we'll be world beaters.

• Like 2

i can't be doing with this again tbh. 

it's like ****ing ground hog day.

we will go into next season with a late and poorly appointed manager who has to take another 6 months to realise we need wholesale changes to our style / squad, tries to ditch off the old guard and get us playing football only to have the team turn on him AGAIN.

**** it - if that happens, I'm done with it. someone can have my seat next season.

this rinse / repeat bullshit of our ageing, worsening title winning team spitting their dummy out whenever someone comes in and tries to move us forward is pathetic. 

rudkin keeps appointing wet nappies who can't stamp their authority over the likes of Morgan and co. it's ****ing crap. 

they can all **** off. 

Sorry but if we keep constantly change managers we're eventually going to go down. What if we get a new man in and we're not top half by Christmas? Is he going to be gone too? I think the owners are way off the mark if they think we're going to be a top 6 club anytime soon.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

actually feel sorry for the next manager we get in if we get rid of Puel, since im sure some of our "fans" will already be wanting them out even after the first game they have in charge

?

Talking about throwing in the towel some four months before the new season.

This attitude adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

Where‘s the spirit?

Where were you before Ranieri or Shakespeare were axed?

Nothing new there.

32 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The most recent stuff hasn't come from the players. I wouldn't suggest he's got their support though.

JP's article quite noticeably aimed at people not currently playing. We could do without that, if the manager goes then I hope they go as well. We need unity, it's never going to happen with people taking shots at a manager.

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but if we keep constantly change managers we're eventually going to go down. What if we get a new man in and we're not top half by Christmas? Is he going to be gone too? I think the owners are way off the mark if they think we're going to be a top 6 club anytime soon.

I wholeheartedly agree, the issue is that things have been getting slowly worse. I doubt the owners want to pull the trigger, but if we don't have a sudden upturn that's a pretty dreadful last 20/21 games he's had really. People need something to hang their hat on, to point at good passages of play, or minor improvements here or there. They just aren't appearing at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

JP's article quite noticeably aimed at people not currently playing. We could do without that, if the manager goes then I hope they go as well. We need unity, it's never going to happen with people taking shots at a manager.

A managers job is to get the players onside, yes we could do without that but the sane thing happened at Southampton so maybe the problem isn't our players this time.

Edited by Abrasive fox

13 hours ago, ttfn said:

If true, the idea that you’d give a manager you’ve hired with a long-term vision for the club four utterly meaningless games to determine whether or not he’s the right man says everything you need to know about the people taking the decisions.

He’s been here six months. Either you believe in what he’s doing or you don’t. Four dead rubbers shouldn’t make any difference. Exactly the sort of reactionary, short term thinking which saw us waste pre season and the first 2 months with Shakespeare.

Bingo. 

The lack of joined up thinking between board and the first team is absolutely horrendous. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I wholeheartedly agree, the issue is that things have been getting slowly worse. I doubt the owners want to pull the trigger, but if we don't have a sudden upturn that's a pretty dreadful last 20/21 games he's had really. People need something to hang their hat on, to point at good passages of play, or minor improvements here or there. They just aren't appearing at the moment.

Oh yeah I agree with that. I think Puel may go and if so where do we go from there? As I said, if we're not top half by Christmas is he going to go too? Managers need time to build. There was some poor games under Pearson while he got rid of players and built his own up. 

It's though though, I do agree with what you're saying and I've seen very little improvement for the past two months or so.